Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Born 1968

TV prog: The Flashing Blade
Sweets: Fruit Salads
Drink: Cydrax
Toy: Action Man
Bike: in my dreams
Trainers: see above
Fashion: hand-me-down brown pinstripe flairs
Car: only knew about one - family VW camper van
Music: didn't really do music at the time but retrospectively all about the late 70s and The Jam

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You discovered Hawkwind as a toddler, respect

No, was born in September 1960 so a spotty 15 year old, saw them two years later on the Quark Strangeness and Charm Tour complete with mad Bob Calvert on vocals; still one of the best gigs I have been to, albeit it had a slight hiatus while the Manchester Hell Angels Chapter had a free and frank discussion with the Security...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was born in 1964

TV Programme - Blue Peter, Multi Coloured Swap Shop, Tomorrows World, Dr Who.

Sweets - Fruit Salads and Black Jacks.

Drink - We were quite a poor family so Lemonade and Cola.

Toy - Scaletrix, Subbuteo and Meccano.

Push Bike - Had to do with dad making me one. I did in later life have a 'racer'.

Shoes/Trainers - Plastic ones with red and blue stripes, but they were quite trendy.

Fashion - Addidas

Car - No comment.

Music - Punk, Stiff Little Fingers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As nobody has mentioned:-

Or

6dFltpO3stardust.jpg

I can fairly safely say you're all liars, and are just trying to be cool like is big kids.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
TV Programme : Tiswas.

Sweets : Texan (Sure is a mighty chew). :thumbsup:

Drink : Pretty much anything with sugar and fizz, or Sodastream (which had sugar but no fizz).

Toy : Action Man. My Action Man Combat Plane jet fighter was one of my best childhood Xmas presents. I also adored the smell of plastic inside Action Man's head, so the first thing I did whenever I got a new one was yank it's head off and indulge in the aroma! :lolol:

Push Bike : Always wanted a Grifter, but only ever had racers.

Shoes/Trainers : Can't recall trainers, but I had some Clark's Treks or Trekkers? I think they were called, which I thought were cool.

Fashion : Leather biker jacket and navy blue chords were the thing.

Car : Loved Capris, but we had Cortinas and a Vauxhall Cavalier.

Music : Abba. I also loved the song Silver Lady by David Soul, and the Theme to the Black Beauty TV series.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Born in 78. I was Christened in early 79 and apparently anyone from outside Sussex travelling couldn't get there because of snow. My favourites are 80's though:

TV Programme : Rainbow, Grange Hill, Danger Mouse, Bod, Bagpuss, Pigeon Street, The A-Team, plus several others I won't mention due to the hosts subsequently being of interest to Operation Yewtree.

Sweets : Mar Bars - I used to have one a day to help me work, rest and play.

Drink : Milk. Back in the day when it was delivered too. Nothing better than frozen milk on your Weetabix in the winter because it was too cold outside

Toy : Action Force, Star Wars, Scalextric, Hornby Train set and Subbuteo.

Push Bike : Started off with a Chopper, then a BMX and finished the 80's with a mountain bike.

Shoes/Trainers : School shoes were Clarks. I do remember being forced to wear sandals to Primary School early on, which I hated. Trainers were generally Hi-Tec.

Fashion : Awful. I used to love tracksuits.

Car : My Dad had a Ford Cortina, my Mum had an Austin Mini-Metro.

Music : It was the 80's, so all of it.

Jul 7, 2003
In addition to the above, we used to get bottles of Corona delivered (with bottles that you got money back on when returned) and at Christmas we were allowed to choose some of the exotic flavours such as limeade or cream soda.

My granddad would treat us to the very expensive R Whites lemonade but only a very small glass - probably equivalent to about 100ml. He would also let us have mars bars but they would come from the freezer and be sliced very thinly so that they lasted longer.

I also remember Knowles bakers vans turning up and being able to go and by those marshmallow ice cream cones.

Dad didn't start driving until later in life so rather than a car it is sitting on the back of his Honda 50 for me.

Texans were an extravagance so we put them in the freezer so that they lasted even longer.

One late 70's drink nobody seems to remember is Solo. I used to love that and remember getting through several cans a day on holiday at Pontins Little Canada.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In addition to the above, we used to get bottles of Corona delivered (with bottles that you got money back on when returned) and at Christmas we were allowed to choose some of the exotic flavours such as limeade or cream soda.

My granddad would treat us to the very expensive R Whites lemonade but only a very small glass - probably equivalent to about 100ml. He would also let us have mars bars but they would come from the freezer and be sliced very thinly so that they lasted longer.

I also remember Knowles bakers vans turning up and being able to go and by those marshmallow ice cream cones.

Dad didn't start driving until later in life so rather than a car it is sitting on the back of his Honda 50 for me.

Texans were an extravagance so we put them in the freezer so that they lasted even longer.

One late 70's drink nobody seems to remember is Solo. I used to love that and remember getting through several cans a day on holiday at Pontins Little Canada.

Some of what you say is very reminiscent.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
WTF! Also born in '68 and never heard of that.

Me neither!

The 'frozen milk outside' comment triggered a memory of the silver foil milk bottle tops having holes in where the sparrows sussed there'd be a cream treat underneath. I hated having sloppy seconds to a feathered shitflick but it was that or dry weetabix....

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Born 1967

TV prog: Many but definitely the Goodies
Sweets: Space Dust
Drink: Don't remember but I do remember calypso (triangular frozen fruit thingy)
Toy: Subbuteo
Bike: - nothing special
Trainers: see above
Fashion: cords, harrington
Car: We had a terribe Austin allegro at one point
Music: loved all the post-punk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Did anyone else have clothes from the tally man, dodgy nylon fashion for all the family, paid for on the never never, he used to come round about once a month with several suitcases of clothes.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I remember the bakers van. Loved the smell, shiney current buns, rock cakes, and marshmallows cones.

Cherryade, bag of gold chewing gum and bazooka bubble gum. Quarter of sweets, bag of sherbet.

What happened to current buns? Why do we get hot cross buns all year round now :rant:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Born in 66.......parents both worked long & hard for not much money.

Tv - Blue Peter, Newsround, Jim'll Fix It (I know, I know), Tomorrow's World, The Big Match, Match of the Day, World of Sport (wrestling)

Sweets - fruit salad, chewits, toffos, quarter of pear drops or similar in a paper bag

Drink - Shandy Bass

Toy - board games like Sorry, otherwise we were almost always outdoors, cricket in summer and football in winter, or games of 'kick the can'. When wet, Action Man.

Bike - a 'racer' (cheap, from the catalogue)

Shoes/fashion - whatever was cheap or what my mum would get from the catalogue on weekly payments

Car - a mini first up for me, about 20 years old. My old man had various old bangers, eventually got a golf which was luxurious (and about 5 years old)

Music - Maiden, ELO, Abba and pathological hatred of Bay City Rollers

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
bag of gold chewing gum

OMG I remember those! Little chips of gold. You'd get a gob full of them and the sugar used to make your tongue shrivel. After 5 minutes chewing a huge mouthful you'd end up with a pea sized lump of gum.. :annoyed:

World of Sport! Yes - Dickie Davies. Grandstand with Frank Bough (a big fan of a whipping, but not in a sporting sense) - and another thing which has just come back to me is 'Monkey'

Tripitakaaaaa!!

This is the first thread in ages which has made me smile :smile:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Born 1967

Car: We had a terribe Austin allegro at one point

I had a horrible Allegro in the 90s which you'd point in one direction and it'd go the other way! No I didn't have the square steering wheel version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here