Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Let's have some happy talk on here for a change. I'm pissed off with bad news, politics and terrorism - and the death of Brian Cant led me to thinking about my childhood.

I was born in 1970 - so I was introduced to the world in the wacky decade that was a strange come-down from the economic boom, fashion revival and musical revolution of the 60's. Power cuts, strikes, god-awful fashion, the long hot summer of '77, fuel shortages and growing up on a horrible council estate in Bradford. God I hate Bradford. My family still live there though, so I have to visit. I see it as penance for any sins committed in Sussex, the place I have lived in for the last 28 years. Gods own country - love the place.

Anyway - my childhood looks bad on paper, but I cracked on - and look back on it as "enjoyably shite" - thanks in the main to my Nan (RIP Nan), 'Mrs M's Sweet Shop' - and a 25" 'Baird' Television we rented from 'Visionhire' which took 5-10 minutes to 'warm up' and show the TV programmes I'll never forget.

So - what was your favourite (and I'll tell you mine) :

TV Programme : Jamie and the Magic Torch (I used to walk home from school at lunchtime as I lived 100 metres away and nobody cared where the kids went!). I used to watch it, have a sandwich, then go back to school for the afternoon. Honourable mentions to Pipkins, Camberwick Green, Ivor the Engine, Rentaghost, The Ghost of Mottley Hall, Captain Pugwash, Playschool and Blue Peter.

Sweets : Spangles. Basically compressed sugar, with E-Numbers added. I used to love Toffo's, and when 'Pacers' came out I ate them until I felt sick. Spearmint sick though - smelt better.

Drink : Dandelion & Burdock. We actually used to have a 'pop man' who came round with a lorry full of fizzy drinks. Like a milkman, but with a bloody great lorry! 'American Cream Soda' was another one which was new and trendy!

Toy : Big Trak. I never had one, but I dreamed of owning one. I bought one from eBay a few years ago - a genuine, boxed 70's example. Box ticked. Get in. I also had a horse racing game called 'Totopoly'. Odd, that was...

Push Bike : Grifter. I wanted a Raleigh Grifter. I got as far as a Raleigh Tomahawk, which was a 'Baby Chopper' - and the bigger boys had Choppers (fnaaar). Never got one. Ambition unfulfilled. I wanted the 'Grifter XL' and even had a poster on my wall as a 'hint' to my parents...

Shoes/Trainers : My Mum (who was a poorly paid waitress in a Fish & Chip restaurant) saved for ages to buy me a pair of 'Clarks Polyveldt' shoes. I loved how comfortable they were. All the 'rich kids' had them, so it was pretty cool.

Fashion : I knew nothing about fashion, but I liked an 'Aran' jumper my uncle gave me. My Aunty Janet bought it for him - 6 foot man, shrunk it in the wash until it was almost half the size, and it fitted a 4 foot man - which was me. I used to sweat some in it though!

Car : I knew little to nothing about cars, but my Dad had a 1971 3.0 Capri which I thought was cooler than cool. It got broken into, steering column wrecked, rolled down the street into a quiet layby, then smashed to pieces. He never said why, but knowing him he was probably banging someone's Mrs in the street... He was a bit of a 'player' back then..

Music : I never bothered much as a little kid. I remember liking 'Queen of Hearts' by Dave Edmunds, lots of Abba (my Mum's fave group) and my Dad playing an album called 'Burundi Black'. I loved the bass, and the drums. Ottowan get a mention too - they looked mental!!!

I shall now fire the nostalgia starting pistol..... The 1970's - we salute you... :salute:

Tell us about your 1970's........ :thumbsup:

TV Programme: The Tomorrow People (if we had 10p to put in the meter in theback)

Sweets: whatever we could nick from ol man Morris in Moulsecoombe Way

Drink: Tap water via one of those rubber things people stuck on their taps in them days to keep the water from splashing everywhere.

Toy: Subbutio, Scotland and Queens Park were my favourite teams, probably as I got them free off Neddy McDonalds mum who got paid 7p per thousand for painting them.

Push Bike. This was Birdham Rd not Beverley Hills

Trainers: football boots with the studs removed or Winfields if my mother had a win down the vogue.

Fashion. A Peter Ward Is Magic scarf tied to my wrist.

Car: A £25 Vauxhall Cresta with the reg DYK514C (funny what you remember)

Music: Kimono My House - Sparks. How Dare You - 10CC Stones - Neil Diamond the soundtrack to The Rocky Horror picture Show and Kool In The Kaftan by BA Robertson.

The 1970s - you can shove em up yer arse!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Im a bit older than you,(alright,more than a bit, 11 years)so mine is late sixties and seventies.

Tv Programme, The Sweeney, I loved it, and before that probably Dr Who
Sweets, Potatoe puffs, we had them at school, on sale at break time, they were lovely, never seen them on sale anywhere else.

Drinks, Tizer, loved it then, can't stand it now

Toy, Johnny 7, a big **** off machine gun thing, with lots of bits that came off you could use on their own, a hand gun, grenade, etc

Push bike, we used to make them from scrap bits, high handle bars extended forks etc

Shoes, only one type, Wayfinders with animal tracks and a hidden compass in the heel

Fashion, a bright orange shirt with black buttons, and a safari jacket, like the Saint.

Car, Triumph Stag, i would still like one now.

Music, Bowie, Slade, Alice Cooper. But the first album i bought was Master of Reality, Black Sabbath, and the second one was Gilbert O'Sullivans first one( I can't remember the name), pretty diverse tastes, even then.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Music: Space Ritual - Hawkwind - discovered it in 1975 on cassette & wore it out within 6 months, possibly the finest live album ever...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh just what we need a tread just for the youngsters when grown ups were having to deal with 3 day weeks, power cuts, rubbish piling up on the streets, tv finishing at 10.30pm, elections all the time, joining the common market (sorry I;ve started to hijack this as another political thread) its the heat I need a lie down

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Oh just what we need a tread just for the youngsters when grown ups were having to deal with 3 day weeks, power cuts, rubbish piling up on the streets, tv finishing at 10.30pm, elections all the time, joining the common market (sorry I;ve started to hijack this as another political thread) its the heat I need a lie down

. . . . . punish:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

To be honest, I loved the Seventies.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
TV Programme: I too second The Tomorrow People. I used to Jaunt all over the school playground. I also used to love Star Trek, Batman and TV version of Planet of the Apes. I also loved Mike Yarwood the impressionist.

Sweets: Sherbert Dib Dabs, Traffic Light lollypops and Cola Spangles

Drink: Coca Cola with the pull ring that came off, where you then placed in coke tin....being tidy concious only to kick can down the street. In summer ice polls.

Toy: World Cup Striker, where you pushed the head down to make the players right leg kick the ball. The heads of my players were most snapped due to hammering them for being a toy version of Peter Lorimer. It was called World Cup striker due to having working floodlights. Cool in the dark, until the ball came off the pitch.

Push Bike. Raleigh Grifter. Made of steel and weighed a ton. But if you bent the back mud guard down it sounded like a motor bike.

Trainers: Woolworths, with 3 stripes. They fooled nobody into thinking they were Adidas.

Fashion. Early 70's it was tank tops and courdroy trousers. End of 70;s it was Fred Perry T Shirts and Harrington Jackets.

Car: My dad had a series of Hillman Avengers and Cortinas.

Music: I knew zilch about music Sparks, dare I say it Gary Glitter, Abba, Boney M

Pin ups. Farrah Fawcett, Debbie Harry, Kate Bush, Sally James

Comics -2000 AD. Stories including "Invasion", "Old one eye", "Strontium Dog"

Comapring the world Today, the 70s was a brill time.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Born 1972 in Brighton. Lived in a council house in Lower Bevendean and went to Elm Grove school.

TV loved six million dollar man, Batman and Robin, the hulk and Grange Hill. Favourite cartoon danger mouse.

Don't remember much about fashion apart from my flaired jean and a denim jacket.

Had a budgie bike (baby chopper) and a three wheel metal scooter.

Toys, I remember a game called "rebound", matchbox cars and I had a record player in a little suitcase. I would steal my brothers records.

Remember hot summer evenings spent on the beach. My mum had and Austin allegro, with vinyl seats that would scold your legs if you wore shorts in the summer.

Had a great childhood.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Tv prog: Magpie
Sweets: Curly Wurly
Drink: Pepsi
Toy: Mecanno
Bike: Generic bike my dad made me.
Trainers: Woollies special.
Fashion: F***ing Flairs
Car: My dad's Austin Allegro :lolol:
Music: Sweet.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most of my trainers in the 70s came from Freeman, Hardy &Willis.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Tv prog: Magpie
Sweets: Curly Wurly
Drink: Pepsi
Toy: Mecanno
Bike: Generic bike my dad made me.
Trainers: Woollies special.
Fashion: F***ing flairs
Car: My dad's Austin Allegro :lolol:
Music: Sweet.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
70's was a game of two halves shirley?

First half: T.Rex, Bowie, Roxy Music, Rollers, Sparks.

Second half: The Pistols,The Clash,The Damned, The Jam, The Adverts

Marvellous TV scenes with TOTP and Tiswas.

Car: a £30 red mini.

Fashion: Mr Byrite. School tie. Tiny wee badges.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
71 vintage
Monkey, Grifter, Black Jacks, Changesonebowie, ELO, toy? .... boxes and mud. Observer book of ...., Dr Who books, Asterix, deposit on bottles of pop, Bernie Inns, frog spawn, pretty much using the health and safety film about not ****ing about around farms as an agenda for the summer, setting fire to leaves with a magnifying glass, collecting ladybirds, pint of prawns on the lawns at The Tiger.
Etc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GyRz_lOQA

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Born in 70 so a few things from my childhood.
Sweets, Chewy Nuts
Drink ,Top Deck
Toy,Subbuteo
Trainers,Can't remember
Fashion ,Well i had ripped jeans before Sam Fox had knockers
TV ,Swap Shop
Bike ,A mix of a Raleigh Medale with a small cog on the front with Cow horn handlebars,you pedalled like mad and got knowhere.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Most of my trainers in the 70s came from Freeman, Hardy &Willis.
I thought trainers were called plimsolls in those day - well that was what I called them. I didn't start buying the so called trainers until the 80s.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Born 1973.

TV: The Flumps
Sweets: Candy Cigarettes
Drink: Dr. Pepper
Toy: Batman Car
Bike: Grifter
Trainers: Blue ones
Fashion: Denim jacket
Car: Dad had a red E- type, I was a bit too young to appreciate it.
Music: KC and the Sunshine band

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here