Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Wow, just wow!

Thanks everyone for such an enjoyable trip down memory lane.
I was born in 1960 so was in my impressionable years in the 70's and thought I remembered it well.
Certainly remember the the long hot summer of '76 [lost my virginity between the piers]
But as I read through each thread entry I found my self repeating "Oh yeah, I remember them!"

I thought it was just me being odd that I could remember the reg numbers of my Dad's cars
36 HKJ - Triumph Hearld
EUF 435D mk2 Cortina
FMP 48J - Hilman Avenger

But others have recited theirs too - why do our brains retain this meaningless info from our childhood?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Wow, just wow!

Thanks everyone for such an enjoyable trip down memory lane.
I was born in 1960 so was in my impressionable years in the 70's and thought I remembered it well.
Certainly remember the the long hot summer of '76 [lost my virginity between the piers]
But as I read through each thread entry I found my self repeating "Oh yeah, I remember them!"

I thought it was just me being odd that I could remember the reg numbers of my Dad's cars
36 HKJ - Triumph Hearld
EUF 435D mk2 Cortina
FMP 48J - Hilman Avenger

But others have recited theirs too - why do our brains retain this meaningless info from our childhood?

I've never heard it called that before :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I must have been in the year below yours, unless you stayed on in the sixth form. 360 kids in 12 classes per year in our era, one of the biggest schools in the U.K. Had to learn to survive, a lot of naughty kids, whilst learning in between all that!

I know this is a strange thing to ask and a very long shot but it is something I have been meaning to ask on here for a long time and since you and others went to Tideway at about the right time....
Did you know or do you remember a girl called Sharon DeVasconcelos.
Dark haired girl lived in Saltdean.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loved every minute, had an older brother and lots of lively friends that kept me free from being challenged too much, heads were Rothwell when I started, then Williams and then Saxby have I got that right, great fun for me, but seemed totally dysfunctional as a school, had some good footballers at the time, I think our year was unbeaten for a few seasons, which was a big ask as the Brighton schools were always a challenge and representative football Brighton Boys too strong for the mish mash of a region called Ouse Valley.

Excelling in exams there was in-spite of the system, as it was so easy to get distracted. A lot of good teachers, but some weak ones that were easy to wind up (Colquhoun in art). I think it went straight from Rothwell (a good bloke who'd been a Japanese POW and believed in some liberal aspects to life at school such as 2.15 finishes and no school uniform for age 12 upwards), to miserable hardliner Saxby. Even the teachers didn't like him,

I missed my older brothers who'd been there before I started, but left unscathed, 'winning' the three challenges to fights in the playing field a long way from A Block.

Good memories of snowball fights, mucking around at the shops at lunchtime, winding up highly strung staff such as the librarians (Lee and Laker), and being very naughty with mates during certain lessons.

Didn't play in the official sports teams, but I was proud we always got the better of Longhill on and off the field.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Great thread. Bringing back some memories. Born 1970. Heatwave being a common theme, I do remember being off school in the heatwave of 76, with chicken pox. Watched them building /flooding Ardingly reservoir

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Great thread. Bringing back some memories. Born 1970. Heatwave being a common theme, I do remember being off school in the heatwave of 76, with chicken pox. Watched them building /flooding Ardingly reservoir

I grew up in a village (Foxton) on the Grand Union Canal and remember large parts of the canal completely drying up and the bottom being all cracked and littered with dead fish. Mental scenes.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
|I was born in 1967 so had the whole of my childhood in the 70's

TV: Voyage to the bottom of the sea & Time tunnel (loved that), Charlies Angels, 6 Million Dollar Man (We can rebuild him) - Remote control attached to the TV by a wire. You kids today never had it so good. We had BIG buttons to turn the telly over before the remote on a wire.
Car: Rover P6 3500s & Triumph PI 2.5 My Dads obviously, not mine!
Music: Terry Jacks - Seasons in the sun, Elvis - In the ghetto - Ahh songs had stories back then
Nuclear War is coming! Terrifying the life out of us with programmes showing buildings being blown away in a firestorm, with us inside them! Scary shit.

Enough of that. The 70's - The decade that changed everything, for me anyway!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
TV Programme : Wacky Races, Star Trek, Charlies Angels
Sweets : Love Hearts, Sherbert Lemons/Strawberries, Wagon Wheels
Drink : Panda Pops, Cream Soda
Push Bike : Raleigh Chopper, (I couldn't afford one but found one in the street and took it to the police station, no one claimed it so I collected it a month later)
Shoes/Trainers : Adidas 2000 Football Boots In Swift Sports Window (again couldn't afford them they were £10 which was an astronomical sum back then)
Fashion : Velvet Jacket (lent to a pal to impress his girlfriend and the basta**rd ruined it)
Car : Dad had a Volkswagen Beetle which we knicknamed 'the beast' .
Music : Slade - Mike Oldfield - The Who - Rolling Stones - Bob Seger - Fleetwood Mac,

Aaahhhhh The 1970's - we salute you...

Last edited:

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Born 1965

TV: Double Deckers, Blue Peter, Six Million Dollar Man, Thunderbirds.

Sweets:Sherbert dabs, Lemon Sherberts.

Toy: Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle, Ricochet Racers, Battling Tops, Super Striker (fixed rather than diving goalies)

Bike: Everybody wanted a Chopper, mum thought they were dangerous so had to make do with a Raleigh "Sensible"

Shoes: Whatever mum chose, usually Clarks Commandos.

Fashion: Didn't have any fashion sense in the 1970s and still don't possess any now. Remember being fond of red bomber jacket with two white flashes at the top of one sleeve.

Trainers: Gola from David White Sports on the Broadway, Green Flash from Woolies on South Road

Car: Fiat 124 Estate (Imported from Italy when we moved to the UK in 1969), After the Fiat died Mum had a Vauxhall Chevette and Dad had a Viva estate.

Music: Best not to discuss the majority of the decade it's a bit embarrassing. However, thanks to some older mates by 1979 I had been introduced to Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Slade (they're not just for Christmas you know), Pink Floyd, Genesis, Thin Lizzy, Kansas, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Led Zeppelin, ELP, Yes, Mike Oldfield, VDGG etc. Punk really passed me by and it wasn't until I was in my 40s that I stated catching up on this period

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I know this is a strange thing to ask and a very long shot but it is something I have been meaning to ask on here for a long time and since you and others went to Tideway at about the right time....
Did you know or do you remember a girl called Sharon DeVasconcelos.
Dark haired girl lived in Saltdean.

I knew Sharon very well ... lived up Bannings Vale
and her boyfriend of the time Steve Smith
Lots of time in the Spanish Lady [not a yoofanism]

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I knew Sharon very well ... lived up Bannings Vale
and her boyfriend of the time Steve Smith
Lots of time in the Spanish Lady [not a yoofanism]

Well well well, what do you know.
It was Chailey Crescent.
I was about 15 or so (now 53) she spent a summer living with a relative in Southborough (T Wells) I met her, she used to come out and meet me on my way back from my paper round, she was my first real girl friend.
She returned to Saltdean and I used to go down there at weekends but she was up to all sorts of things in places like The Top Rank Suite, and broke my heart as a young lad (no details yet, or at all, just in case)
Her dad was Portugese and was involved with fruit import/export.
I often wonder what happened to her.
I have a PM to answer from Weststander but can't do it from my mobile but will later.
Sometimes this board is great.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
It was Chailey Crescent.
I was about 15 or so (now 53) she spent a summer living with a relative in Southborough (T Wells) I met her, she used to come out and meet me on my way back from my paper round, she was my first real girl friend.
She returned to Saltdean and I used to go down there at weekends but she was up to all sorts of things in places like The Top Rank Suite, and broke my heart as a young lad (no details yet, or at all, just in case)
I have a PM to answer from Weststander but can't do it from my mobile but will later.

Still holding a flame it would seem, we've all had our young hearts broken and through youthful delusions always had a place in our ageing hearts for the cause of that heartache. Ahh those were the days.....Heehee

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Still holding a flame it would seem, we've all had our young hearts broken and through youthful delusions always had a place in our ageing hearts for the cause of that heartache. Ahh those were the days.....Heehee

Not holding a flame not after all these years but you are right in a way.
When you are young and someone hurts you that much for the first time as a lad it's something you never forget. As I said no details but she really did the dirty not just chucking me which was the norm, but it was a long time ago and I wonder what loads of people through my life are doing now and as people were talking about Tideway I thought I would ask.

Jul 7, 2003
Cabana chocolate bars. .

I loved those - like a bounty but with cherries mixed with the coconut. Also, original double deckers when they had raisins mixed into the crispy bit at the bottom.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It was Chailey Crescent.

She must have been a year or two older than you then?
I'm now 57 and Steve was in the year above me at school - memory is hazy but he must of gone out with here for a while - maybe 6 months to a year.
Can't believe she was more than 2 / 3 years younger than him so that would make her 54 / 55 ish now.

I could tell a dirty story about them two - but probably inappropriate for a public internet site.

Where you Longhill?
Other girls you may recall: Julie Rose, Janet Delvin, Tricia Fears, Mandy Gupwell - remember any of them?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
She must have been a year or two older than you then?
I'm now 57 and Steve was in the year above me at school - memory is hazy but he must of gone out with here for a while - maybe 6 months to a year.
Can't believe she was more than 2 / 3 years younger than him so that would make her 54 / 55 ish now.

I could tell a dirty story about them two - but probably inappropriate for a public internet site.

Where you Longhill?
Other girls you may recall: Julie Rose, Janet Delvin, Tricia Fears, Mandy Gupwell - remember any of them?

No I am from Tunbridge Wells, Sharon spent a summer there years ago, I was about 15 and I met her and we got together.
She returned to Saltdean and I went to see her at weekends for a while.
As you know she went to Tideway. Not sure but she was not much older than me, maybe 1 year so she would be about 54 now.
I don't doubt you regarding the dirty story, let's say she was very advanced for her young years while I was still stirring my tea with it.
Best not to go into too much detail as you said, but let's just say that on my last visit to her house she spent the whole day lying front down on the sofa, then called me when I got home and dumped me. Got that yet?
She had a friend who I think was called Karen but not sure, but what I do remember is that she had a very wonky eye, maybe even a glass one, not sure if she went to Tideway though.

Lush

Mods' Pet
When my husband was at a party in the seventies, someone shouted "Oi Pete!". He turned round, and a Party Seven sailed through the air and thwacked him on the nose. Still has the bump and the scar. I feel that this is the most seventies injury ever.

My answers (from pre-punk early 70s) are:

TV Programme : Here Come The Double Deckers; The Goodies; turning over after the BBC programme had finished to catch the ads on ITV

Sweets : Quarters of 'Smarties' from the Woolworth's Pick and Mix; Sweet Peanuts; Fry's Chocolate Cream; Bazooka Joe bubble gum

Drink : Pineapple Quosh

Toy : Spirograph; Battling Tops

Push Bike : None - Brighton is far too hilly, easier to walk everywhere.

Shoes/Trainers : Dunlop Green Flash, Clogs, Wedges

Fashion : Below the knee skirts (looked ridiculous on 13 year olds); halterneck tops; cap sleeved T shirts; cheesecloth shirts that tied in the middle; baggy T shirts that tied at the side.

Car : My mum had a Red Fiat 128 registration ending in PUF; then a White Ford Fiesta ending in CFG which my dad said stood for Can't Find Gears.

Music : David Essex; Suzi Quatro (I made a guitar out of Meccano); Queen.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here