Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

jeremy fisher

Sep 20, 2014
Growing up in Haywards Heath - best years of my life. Great friends. Loved my primary school (St Wilfreds). Great family. Fishing with my Dad. Playing football with friends in the street. In fact it was play, play, play!

Dad died when I was 11 (1981) and we left when I was 13 (1983) (to Bristol) and things were never quite as good again!

I left the area a devoted Brighton fan just as we got relegated from the old division 1, and it's taken all these years for us return to the top league! Still that's been a great ride of ups and downs too, and my most long lasting legacy from 13 great years in Sussex.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This answers a lot of questions. I think I've just discovered the roots of your reverse cowgirl fetish. You may have ditched your cowboy outfit but the reverse cowgirl thing is your way of subconsciously hanging on to a part of your lost childhood

You could have a very valid point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Enjoyed great children's TV on both BBC and ITV. Jackanory with great guest narrators, Blue Peter (twice a week then), Carrie's War, Camblewick Green, Trumpton, Mary Mungo & Midge.

Playing endless games of football and cricket with mates. Winding up grumpy gits such as child-hating neighbours or miserable shopkeepers.

We were at the only school in the UK with continental hours, finishing at 2.15, giving hours of fun before being called in for dinner.

Building our own communal bonfires every autumn, just kids, before the health and safety end to free childhoods.

Quarters of sweets - Licorice Allsorts, Callard & Bowser Chocolate Limes. Treats, Flakes, Marathons.

Even as a young kid I couldn't stand the music of The Sweet, Cassidy's, Osmonds, Mud, Brotherhood of Man. Like countless millions of others, for me the punk and new wave revolution of 1976 onwards transformed music for me. The originality, aliveness, briliance of The Jam, Clash, Blondie, Police, Joy Division, etc.

Great summers of 1970, 1975 and 1976. Many people only remember the latter.

Cruyff (the greatest, to me), Neekens and Krol, British clubs a force in Europe especially Liverpool and Forest.

Less pressure on kids with exams and careers, helping to make the period all seem like 'Salad Days'! (Nostalgia's not what it used to be).

Holidays to Cornwall and Devon, and our first in Spain.

The Trade Tests transmission blank screen shown on TV until programmes started at 1pm. Just three TV stations to watch, full stop. TV programmes came to a close at midnight-ish with the National Anthem played daily.

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Born in 1969, so have some 70's memories, even if from a young persons perspective.

Tv
Totp, Grange Hill, the big match, the likely lads, the magic roundabout.
Sweets
Toffo's (normal and fruit flavour), Pacers, sherbet flying saucers, white mice, fruit salads and black jacks
Strawberry splits and big feet ice creams
Music
Adam and the ants, the specials, madness
Games
3 and in, 44 save all, subuteo, cricket in summer
Car
Grandfather had an Allegro
Food
Lots of mince
Clothes
Maroon staypress trousers, Parker coat with fluffy hood

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Born in 1969, so have some 70's memories, even if from a young persons perspective.

Tv
Totp, Grange Hill, the big match, the likely lads, the magic roundabout.
Sweets
Toffo's (normal and fruit flavour), Pacers, sherbet flying saucers, white mice, fruit salads and black jacks
Strawberry splits and big feet ice creams
Music
Adam and the ants, the specials, madness
Games
3 and in, 44 save all, subuteo, cricket in summer
Car
Grandfather had an Allegro
Food
Lots of mince
Clothes
Maroon staypress trousers, Parker coat with fluffy hood
We called it 40/40 save all at Queens Park.

Jul 7, 2003
Strange memories stirring again.

On the booze front, as the 70s were the boom time for the package holiday, most houses had one of those wine carafes that they has wine poured into their mouths from on their Spanish holiday. Of course, to keep it company you had a giant sombrero and a raffia donkey.

Given how tight airlines are these days with hand and hold luggage allowances, how on earth did they manage to bring back about 100 of those donkeys on every charter flight back?

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
beaten to it by other posters... Humphrey straws, trainer whitener ..... top deck limeade and lager
also loved the public service broadcasts..... especially the one where the old couple wave to someone drowning! these were all classic.. and served a purpose.. bring back the green cross code man .... er was it tufty etc... not the same without seeing a squirrel nearly splatted after getting an ice cream... sigh!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Enjoyed great children's TV on both BBC and ITV. Jackanory with great guest narrators, Blue Peter (twice a week then), Carrie's War, Camblewick Green, Trumpton, Mary Mungo & Midge.

Playing endless games of football and cricket with mates. Winding up grumpy gits such as child-hating neighbours or miserable shopkeepers.

We were at the only school in the UK with continental hours, finishing at 2.15, giving hours of fun before being called in for dinner.

Building our own communal bonfires every autumn, just kids, before the health and safety end to free childhoods.

Quarters of sweets - Licorice Allsorts, Callard & Bowser Chocolate Limes. Treats, Flakes, Marathons.

Even as a young kid I couldn't stand the music of The Sweet, Cassidy's, Osmonds, Mud, Brotherhood of Man. Like countless millions of others, for me the punk and new wave revolution of 1976 onwards transformed music for me. The originality, aliveness, briliance of The Jam, Clash, Blondie, Police, Joy Division, etc.

Great summers of 1970, 1975 and 1976. Many people only remember the latter.

Cruyff (the greatest, to me), Neekens and Krol, British clubs a force in Europe especially Liverpool and Forest.

Less pressure on kids with exams and careers, helping to make the period all seem like 'Salad Days'! (Nostalgia's not what it used to be).

Holidays to Cornwall and Devon, and our first in Spain.

The Trade Tests transmission blank screen shown on TV until programmes started at 1pm. Just three TV stations to watch, full stop. TV programmes came to a close at midnight-ish with the National Anthem played daily.

Tideway, Newhaven ??

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Being dragged around Miss Selfridge and Chelsea Girl with mum.

I googled Chelsea Girl to see if it still existed......it's now called......drum roll.....River Island. (learnt something new today)

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Strange memories stirring again.

On the booze front, as the 70s were the boom time for the package holiday, most houses had one of those wine carafes that they has wine poured into their mouths from on their Spanish holiday. Of course, to keep it company you had a giant sombrero and a raffia donkey.

Given how tight airlines are these days with hand and hold luggage allowances, how on earth did they manage to bring back about 100 of those donkeys on every charter flight back?

Don't recall raffia donkeys, but I do remember legions of holidaymakers bringing back these hideous things

59fbfee759f1e3fb368235a95b43971f.jpg

They stood about 3 foot tall! :lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was 8 to 18 in the 70,s so can clearly remember the majority of all the stuff in this thread. There was some difficult times but i have very fond memories of the decade and feel quite lucky that i had almost all my best years in it.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Saturday afternoon looking through the window of Visionhire at 3:45 to see how Brighton were doing at half time then making sure you got home in time to see the results on the Grandstand vidiprinter?
I don't think anyone had their own TVs in the 60s-early 70s, well not where I lived. It was all DER and Rediffusion, which meant renting the TVs. It was a big deal when my parents bought their own TV mid 70s.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Schooled through the 70's there and left 1980, a wonderful chaotic school.

I must have been in the year below yours, unless you stayed on in the sixth form. 360 kids in 12 classes per year in our era, one of the biggest schools in the U.K. Had to learn to survive, a lot of naughty kids, whilst learning in between all that!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I must have been in the year below yours, unless you stayed on in the sixth form. 360 kids in 12 classes per year in our era, one of the biggest schools in the U.K. Had to learn to survive, a lot of naughty kids, whilst learning in between all that!

Loved every minute, had an older brother and lots of lively friends that kept me free from being challenged too much, heads were Rothwell when I started, then Williams and then Saxby have I got that right, great fun for me, but seemed totally dysfunctional as a school, had some good footballers at the time, I think our year was unbeaten for a few seasons, which was a big ask as the Brighton schools were always a challenge and representative football Brighton Boys too strong for the mish mash of a region called Ouse Valley.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
TV: Paddington, The Flumps and The Wombles.

Sweets: Pacers.

Drink: Corporation Pop.

Toy: Mechano.

Fashion: ha! Do me a favour. I had a woolen jumper with Tufty the road safety squirrel on the front knitted by my Nan.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think anyone had their own TVs in the 60s-early 70s, well not where I lived. It was all DER and Rediffusion, which meant renting the TVs. It was a big deal when my parents bought their own TV mid 70s.

We rented ours - black and white, natch - until my dad won a colour TV in a newspaper competition in 1973. Owning a colour TV really felt like we'd gone up in the world,

As someone born in the 50s, can't really contribute to this thread - I was nearly an adult by the time the 70s started. Now, if you're talking about the 60s ....

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
We rented ours - black and white, natch - until my dad won a colour TV in a newspaper competition in 1973. Owning a colour TV really felt like we'd gone up in the world,

As someone born in the 50s, can't really contribute to this thread - I was nearly an adult by the time the 70s started. Now, if you're talking about the 60s ....
Well I was born 1956 and I was a kid until I left school and started work 1973, so feel I can contribution to this thread. You can still start a 60s thread though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here