Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

# Iron Lady 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Theresa May is a Poundland Margaret Thatcher. Whatever your thoughts about the latter, she was a politician of conviction who valued substance over spin, none of which have been evident with the former.

i dont even think Poundland Thatcher is fair, May just isnt made of the same stuff. seemed like a reasonable idea a year ago, but for someone supposedly sticks to a course of action once she made her mind up, she's changed her mind quite a lot. i think she does really want to do the One Nation thing, however doesnt have a plan how to. Thatcher had a vision and a plan, and saw it through.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
An unmitigated disaster. Since she assumed the role of PM she hasn't made a single good decision. Cabinet appointments awful, Hard Brexit undeliverable, terror attacks bungled, Gen election thrown away by poor manifesto, cowardice in debates and piss poor strategy, unable to make a deal with the DUP quickly, disgraceful performance with the fire and all the issues around it.

Whether she is unlucky or incompetent and I think its the latter, her position is untenable, she risks killing the Tory party if she stays around and she risks doing serious damage to this country if she stays a moment longer. I would like to see a new interim government led by another Tory as they are the biggest party, until a new election can be called. The country needs to find someone capable of doing the job through some of the most challenging events in my lifetime and May is not up to it. We are in serious trouble...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As bad a PM as I could imagine there ever being, who ran the worst election campaign in the whole wide world ever...

...yet still left Labour trailing in her wake.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

larus

I don't think she's had bad luck. She had an opposition leader who many other politicians would have wiped the floor with in a general election.

She is far from strong and stable. She's made constant U turns due to arrogance and bad advice/policies/presentation.

Yes, events are beyond her control. How she reacts to them is not.

I am a natural Tory voter and voted Tory, yet I don't want her to be PM. However, I hope there is a period of stability now as another election is what we don't need just now.

The only consolation for me is that, considering how bad TM was and her campaign was, and the 'give-aways' of the Labout manifesto, Corbyn still couldn't win. Christ, if he couldn't beat her, how will he do against a decent leader.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think she's had bad luck. She had an opposition leader who many other politicians would have wiped the floor with in a general election.

She is far from strong and stable. She's made constant U turns due to arrogance and bad advice/policies/presentation.

Yes, events are beyond her control. How she reacts to them is not.

I am a natural Tory voter and voted Tory, yet I don't want her to be PM. However, I hope there is a period of stability now as another election is what we don't need just now.

The only consolation for me is that, considering how bad TM was and her campaign was, and the 'give-aways' of the Labout manifesto, Corbyn still couldn't win.
[[Christ, if he couldn't beat her, how will he do against a decent leader.

Like whom

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As bad a PM as I could imagine there ever being, who ran the worst election campaign in the whole wide world ever...

...yet still left Labour trailing in her wake.

.......... when the only reason she called the election was because she thought she was going to smash labour in to the middle of next week. Even just before the exit poll was announced, one of the politicos on the Sun was tweeting something along the lines of "They think the Tories might even clear 400 seats."

That went well, then.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Cards on the table - I am a Labour voter but I do have some sympathy for her - the horrific turn of events in the last weeks/ months have been unprecedented for any recent prime minister has had to deal with.
However her opportunistic attempt to strengthen her party's grip on parliament was seen for what is was by the electorate (obviously opportunism is not the preserve of the Tory party)
But I feel that whatever your politics she has made herself look weak, vulnerable and ultimately has now lost credibility just at a moment in time when we need stability and clear leadership.
Unfortunately events often overtake political careers - I feel that this is what is happening to May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[/B]

.......... when the only reason she called the election was because she thought she was going to smash labour in to the middle of next week. Even just before the exit poll was announced, one of the politicos on the Sun was tweeting something along the lines of "They think the Tories might even clear 400 seats."

That went well, then.

It's tiresome isn't it? Everyone won yet no one won.

The left: The Tories and May had a zillion point lead and were going to get a massive majority. They didn't get a majority at all in the end!

The right: Labour had their most enigmatic leader for years who truly captured the imagination of the electorate including getting unprecedented number of young people registered and out voting. Despite that Labour only got the same number of seats as they did under Gordon Brown. GORDON BROWN!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

The left: The Tories and May had a zillion point lead and were going to get a massive majority. They didn't get a majority at all in the end!

The right: Labour had their most enigmatic leader for years who truly captured the imagination of the electorate including getting unprecedented number of young people registered and out voting. Despite that Labour only got the same number of seats as they did under Gordon Brown. GORDON BROWN!

I am finding politics at the moment a mixture of fascinating and frightening - fascinating in that it would be good to be sitting sometime in the future looking back at it as a historian, or looking at it dispassionately as a political scientist, and frightening because these are the people who are running our country and have our future in their hands.

There's an article/interview in the Guardian today with Professor John Curtice - the exit poll man. In it he says that he doesn't think that the people who were advising Theresa May understood our electoral system and how it works. Fairly fundamental, I would have thought.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

The scary thing is I'd take old Gordon as a leader over May or anyone in her cabinet and I thought he was useless! The lack of credible candidates for leading the country regardless of what rosette they have on is both astonishing and a little frightening considering the world outside. Brexit, it took all of a day for the UK to cave in on points that we were determined to stand and fight on a month ago. This Gov't cannot govern with this leader and with the current majority. May's decision to go to the country is going to be seen in years to come as one of the biggest miscalculations of our lifetimes.

D

Deleted member 2719

Haha! Do you seriously think she's strong, as in Thatcher? The woman is a walking disaster and won't be in a job for much longer. I will rejoice that moment, sadly BJ will take over, yes his initials sum him up perfectly, so, as you were.

No I don't thinks she's as strong as Margaret, ( and I didn't say she was) but she's a strong old bird. For that reason she can be Iron Lady 2 IMO.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There's an article/interview in the Guardian today with Professor John Curtice - the exit poll man. In it he says that he doesn't think that the people who were advising Theresa May understood our electoral system and how it works. Fairly fundamental, I would have thought.

Her fundamental error was putting all her faith in her two advisors.
May clearly likes being an ' Ivory Tower ' politician. Dealing with the political movers and shakers around the world, in Cabinet and other meetings. Moving in those circles. She is not a soap-box politician. She is incapable of general banter and spontaneity. She can't interract face to face with the public. She appears exactly as she is....a rather gawky, privately schooled, vicar's daughter. You could imagine her, with family, gathered in the drawing room, as a treat, to listen to Bach, before it was time for homework. She has long and not very shapely legs, which create a rather unbalanced look and her habit of speaking with a trembling mouth could lead to people questioning whether, deep down, she has issues of insecurity.
She is a political animal but lacks the perception of a Blair, who was always quick to guage public mood. She and her confidantes chose to ignore grass root feedback and paid the price. Politics is sometimes the place for a calculated risk. It is never the place for a speculative gamble.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have a passing interest in politics these days (up from zero interest around a year ago) and to me, Tezza comes across as a robot who just trots out the same old soundbites, regardless of their relevance to the question she was asked. Now clearly personality isn't the most important factor in being a PM (just like it doesn't matter whether a footballer is intelligent or not), but it doesn't instil any confidence in me, I'm afraid.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
absolutely this :thumbsup:

and this. I hated Thatcher's policies but there is no comparison between her and May - you always got the impression Thatcher truly believed her policies were for the best whereas May doesn't even know what her policies are, by and large, it appears.

Like most modern politicians, May is driven by focus groups and advisers and has no principles or beliefs beyond a desire to get and hold power. Very much from the 'Which way do you want me to lead you' school.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The scary thing is I'd take old Gordon as a leader over May or anyone in her cabinet and I thought he was useless! The lack of credible candidates for leading the country regardless of what rosette they have on is both astonishing and a little frightening considering the world outside. Brexit, it took all of a day for the UK to cave in on points that we were determined to stand and fight on a month ago. This Gov't cannot govern with this leader and with the current majority. May's decision to go to the country is going to be seen in years to come as one of the biggest miscalculations of our lifetimes.

I have a nagging concern that David's decision to hold the referendum will be a bigger one.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
No I don't thinks she's as strong as Margaret, ( and I didn't say she was) but she's a strong old bird. For that reason she can be Iron Lady 2 IMO.

I am not going to bite with a political viewpoint but I have to say Mouldy you seem to favour a dominant woman. Mrs Mouldy doesn't come across at all dominatrix? ����

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here