Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Bands who are deemed 'not cool'

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Most of them :) I'm not sure about Floyd but They Might Be Giants, Pet Shop Boys, XTC, Genesis, Squeeze, The Weddoes, list goes on. Then there's my extreme fondness for J-pop and J-rock. And videogames OSTs :)

Though I suppose it depends who you're asking if they're cool.

Squeeze were cool if you were a feline.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Squeeze were cool if you were a feline.

I can remember putting Squeeze's Up The Junction on a pub jukebox when I was about 18 and the cool kid from sixth form rolling his eyes and making a big show of walking over to it and putting some of his own tunes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The Carpenters
Abba
REO Speedwagon : only the big ballads!
I did tape the Bros album... yeah, I said it!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Genesis, and their individual members solo ventures Phil Collins, Mike and the Mechanics not sure if Peter Gabriel gets lumped in the uncool bin, but if so him as well.

Saw Phil in Paris last night, wasn't sure what to expect but what a show he put on.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How about the Isley brothers!

Sublime rhythms, sublime guitar solos and just brilliant harmonies.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Now this is my sort of thread. Cheesy pop/power ballads, when used right, are musical perfection.

Mcfly - Some absolute BELTERS there. I don't care what you say
Nsync, Backstreet boys, S Club, Britney, MARIAH CAREY. Yeah it's not "COOL" but harmonies RULE. (that's what people say, never)
Meatloaf - A contentious one as maybe this isn't seen as "uncool" but I love BELTING that out on the way to work.
ABBA - The Winner Takes it All is pop perfection.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Glenn Campbell.

Poor sod is in the last stages of dementia/ altziemers and his song adios is one of the most poignant sound at the moment.

His daughter was on the one show and she said that she introduced him to the crowd a while ago and by then he could hardly speak or communicate, but as he walked on stage, he picked up a guitar and started singing Whitchita lineman seemly word and pitch perfect. Not a dry eye in the house.
If you've not seen it, check out the documentary on him called "I'll Be Me" - heartbreaking to watch in places, but well worth it. As you say though, there have been times (as shown in the film) where he was able to get on stage and pick up a guitar, and it was almost as if the dementia switched off as he played and sang - incredible to see.

There was a song released with the film called "I'm Not Gonna Miss You", which is a great song but will really hit home for anyone who has seen a friend ot family member afflicted by this hideous condition.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Saw Phil in Paris last night, wasn't sure what to expect but what a show he put on.

Glad you enjoyed it. Was it the first time you have seen him live?

I saw him in London last week at the Royal Albert hall the night before he fell and cancelled. Really enjoyed it and his voice was fine, but felt sad as in that would be the last time I think I will get to see him. he did look very frail. Lucky for me I have seen him live and with Genesis quite a number of times, always brilliant shows. Favourite was Genesis at Knebworth in 1992

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Glad you enjoyed it. Was it the first time you have seen him live?

I saw him in London last week at the Royal Albert hall the night before he fell and cancelled. Really enjoyed it and his voice was fine, but felt sad as in that would be the last time I think I will get to see him. he did look very frail. Lucky for me I have seen him live and with Genesis quite a number of times, always brilliant shows. Favourite was Genesis at Knebworth in 1992

No, I have seen him a fair few times with Genesis but never on his own before. Really enjoyed it but god was it hot in the Arena in Paris.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How about the Isley brothers!

Sublime rhythms, sublime guitar solos and just brilliant harmonies.

You haven't go the hang of this at all, since when were the Isley Brothers uncool? ( it could be that I have got it wrong of course and they are seen as seriously uncool by others :shrug: )

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[emoji106]

Queen & Stevie Wonder it is then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree with Stevie Wonder 100%. Innervisions and Talking Book were brilliant but having written the cheesiest and shittest Pop song EVER in I Just Called To Say I Love You he plummets to super uncool...imo

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Gave up on cool years ago.

U2 - have never really been cool, Bono and their early overt Christianity I suspect being two main reasons.
Prefab Sprout ( one of the most underrated bands of the last 30 years imo)
Coldplay
George Michael
Early Elton John

Prefab Sprout? Take it you haven't seen them live then. Bloody awful.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No, I have seen him a fair few times with Genesis but never on his own before. Really enjoyed it but god was it hot in the Arena in Paris.

His son is a chip of the old block with the drumming, I thought he was very good for such a young age. He had the sound of his dad more then other drummers I have heard him play with.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Dire Straits are many things, cool, they never have been.....

Having been around in the 1970s and in to my music, I would have thought Dire Straits were actually relatively cool then - not the coolest, but......

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
The best metal band on planet earth :rock::rock:

Iron Maiden For me aswell!. However Maiden seem to have two different levels 1 in music and 1 in fashion.
Right now its very cool for the kids to be seen in Maiden, Ac/dc, motorhead etc. T-shirts even if they are not into the music this seems to happen every 10ish years
Musically Maiden have always been frowned upon by 'the industry' as they sell mega amounts of albums, tickets, dvds without any mainstream radio airplay.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Glenn Campbell.

Poor sod is in the last stages of dementia/ altziemers and his song adios is one of the most poignant sound at the moment.

His daughter was on the one show and she said that she introduced him to the crowd a while ago and by then he could hardly speak or communicate, but as he walked on stage, he picked up a guitar and started singing Whitchita lineman seemly word and pitch perfect. Not a dry eye in the house.

Glenn was cool though back in the day, He played at a private party for my wifes mum a few years ago, and signed his autograph on my wife's grans shirt and I signed the back...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here