Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Bands who are deemed 'not cool'

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Together Alone by Crowded House is a thing of beauty

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

All of these and big shout out to a fellow fan of REO Speedwagon's big ballads. I assume we're both talking about "Keep on Loving You"?

...yes, and of course "I can't fight this feeling...".
I've just chuckled at "Cat Among the Pigeons" - makes my toes curl a bit now!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Carpenters, Eagles, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits and basically the entire country music genre.

Fleetwood Mac are definitely cool... Always have been.

Bananarama
Madonna
Spice Girls
Back Street Boys
Bronski Beat (Small town boy, wicked track)
Pet Shop Boys

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How are any of those "uncool"? You've even got the Beach Boys and Kate Bush who are eternally coool. Bloody love all of them. That Belouis Some video especially....

Ha! Well, you and I may well have a great deal of overlap in terms of socio/cultural preferences, but have you ever considered the possibility that it may simply be that we are deeply uncool? :whistle::wink::lolol:

Yes, that Imagination video . . . . was shown repeatedly on the Friday night music programme on the community channel in Vancouver when I lived there in the 80s. That, and the series of Duran Duran vids . . . . oh my. :ohmy::bigwave:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've been over thinking this one. 'Cool' & 'Uncool' seem to be a movable feast that would allow virtually any artist to fall into either category.

If you consider that 'Uncool' is another way of saying 'Out of Fashion' the questions that seem to follow are 'Out of Fashion when?' and 'Out of Fashion with who?' All artists that sustain a career of any longevity will probably have times when they are cool and times when they are not. Things that music journalists consider to be cool change with the wind and we are likely to have a very different view of who is cool than our kids or our parents. Even seemingly terminally un-hip people like Cliff Richard had a time when they were cool, or are seen as influences by artists like that have critical acclaim (Van Morrison loves him). Back in the eighties my liking for Johnny Cash was considered to be a bit naff, known as he was for tassled outfits, Christianity and novelty records like 'One Piece at a Time.' Saying today that he's uncool would be ridiculous. My teenaged kids would consider Ed Sheeran to be cool and ultra hipsters like Nick Cave and Tom Waits to be silly old blokes. At the height of the Spice Girls mania, to teenagers they were the coolest band in the world, whilst most middle aged blokes probably didn't agree.

Buzzer's responses seem to suggest the truth that acts that may not have stood the test of time may have odd records that have. This seems quite common in (usually American) AOR ballads. Journey, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Randy Van Warmer, Dean Friedman, Chicago, Air Supply. I also have a liking for quite a few records by Scottish Blue Eyed Soul bands: Hue and Cry, Wet Wet Wet, Deacon Blue etc.

Knowing the background or history also changes your view of 'cool'. John Paul Young's 'Love Is In The Air' was always a guilty pleasure of mine and I thought that it was totally unhip, but watching the recent Vanda & Young documentary explains the record's links with the Easybeats and AC/DC and makes it seem less of a surprise that it was great.

Meat Loaf is a tricky one. 'Bat Out Of Hell' was hated by music critics, but loved by everyone else, to such an extent that the music critics eventually gave in and had to agree that they had missed the point. The same seems to have happened with Queen, who I still don't like.

Having considered all this, I think the question has to be 'Who did you like even when everyone else in your peer group thought they were naff?' Unfortunately, my honest answer would probably be Rolf Harris. I never grew out of liking his records since childhood and liked them whether or not he was on a high of ironic popularity. I'm a bit gutted that I can no longer play 'The Court of King Caractacus' or enjoy 'Six White Boomers' at Christmas.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Meat Loaf is a tricky one. 'Bat Out Of Hell' was hated by music critics, but loved by everyone else, to such an extent that the music critics eventually gave in and had to agree that they had missed the point. The same seems to have happened with Queen, who I still don't like.

I am not a music critic, and I always have thought that Bat out of Hell is interminable and tedious.

But, like you, I have never liked Queen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I still love this incredibly uncool song. Can I bring it to NSC as a song 90% of you will never have heard ( and probably won't want to hear again). We are talking bands you love who were uncool, so this fits the thread title perfectly imo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6-oafWvbI

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Yep. Most people only know Nickelback for their middle of the road soft ass singles. They're actually a cracking rock band to watch live.

Not seen them live, but have a couple of albums and agree that the singles are not the best of their work. Similar story with Evanescence. Both of those were my gateway drugs into my current bands of choice: Disturbed, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, and Nightwish form the core of my current commuting playlist.

I'm a MASSIVE Kylie fan. There, I've said it.

I grew up in Australia. So much this, especially back when she was still using the Minogue. Along with the other Aussie main-stay, John(ny) Farnham. Farnham in particular forever had his career coloured by his debut effort: "Sadie the Cleaning Lady" takes being not cool to a whole new level ... but while he only ever made it as a one hit wonder over here, he's had a very lengthy and successful career in Australia.

Not seen a mention yet, but I'm embarrassed to admit I have a Celine Dion cd in my collection. It was a phase.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Always had a sneaky tap of the toe when no one was looking to Duran Duran, and I must confess I have seen Gary Numan a considerable number of times. He used to be crucified in the NME back in the day.

But I draw the line at Joboxers and Level 42

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Always had a sneaky tap of the toe when no one was looking to Duran Duran, and I must confess I have seen Gary Numan a considerable number of times. He used to be crucified in the NME back in the day.

But I draw the line at Joboxers and Level 42

One of the best live acts I've seen was Gary Numan at the Brighton Centre early 80s.
Also saw Duran Duran at The Dome also early 80s, they were also really good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here