Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Bands who are deemed 'not cool'

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not cool, cool, cool, not cool but brilliant and very cool.

I'd go:

Joni - Can be brilliant, started out cool, got bogged down by involvement with jazz - Jazz can be cool, but is never cool for a pop star;
Blockheads - Ultra Cool with Dury, Cool making FGTH records for Trevor Horn, generally still cool unless Phil Jupitus is involved;
Suede - As cool as you can be coming from Haywards Heath. Music was overrated. Anderson's Bowie obsession got a bit wearing;
Japan - Cool. Sylvian's Bowie obsession got a bit wearing;
Associates - So cool that Morrissey wrote a song about one of them. McKenzie's Bowie obsession may have got wearing had they been around for longer.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When I was 12 or 13 I got into Bruce Springsteen and was ribbed mercilessly for it. People only thought of him in terms of Born in the USA and they misunderstood that anyway. I heard Darkness On The Edge of Town album at my Uncle's house and was hooked. Remains in my top 5 albums of all time. Still a massive fan to this day. He's regarded as a bit cooler these days.

I also liked Alice Cooper around the same age. Can't stand his stuff now though.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
10CC. My favourite band when I was 10,11,12,13.

When punk came along they were seriously uncool. More recently, their innovative and clever songs have been much more widely recognised as important.

PG

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When I was 12 or 13 I got into Bruce Springsteen and was ribbed mercilessly for it. People only thought of him in terms of Born in the USA and they misunderstood that anyway. I heard Darkness On The Edge of Town album at my Uncle's house and was hooked. Remains in my top 5 albums of all time. Still a massive fan to this day. He's regarded as a bit cooler these days.

I also liked Alice Cooper around the same age. Can't stand his stuff now though.

BS will never be considered cool, and I've never listened to him, but I devoured his recent autobiography, a fascinating insight into an amazing musical craftsman with unparalleled drive and passion. As I say, the music not my thing, but respect to the man for what he has achieved.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
BS will never be considered cool, and I've never listened to him, but I devoured his recent autobiography, a fascinating insight into an amazing musical craftsman with unparalleled drive and passion. As I say, the music not my thing, but respect to the man for what he has achieved.

I think he is regarded as pretty cool these days.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Gilbert O'Sullivan for me, I stood my ground and survived I was never quite sure if people thought I was being serious or not, but I was ....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gilbert O'Sullivan for me, I stood my ground and survived I was never quite sure if people thought I was being serious or not, but I was ....

Always thought that he was VERY odd and his music was shite/twee, each to their own though.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Always thought that he was VERY odd and his music was shite/twee, each to their own though. He was very popular at the time but I thought it was just Grannies who liked him :lolol:

According to a recent documentary he was the British Billy Joel, I thought I had been vindicated, seemingly not ..............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to a recent documentary he was the British Billy Joel, I thought I had been vindicated, seemingly not ..............

I have no idea how anyone came to that conclusion, I cannot see any similarity at all, can you? As to Gilbert O'Sullivan I was half jesting, he was very big at the time. I just never got a man being dressed like a schoolboy in shorts and a silly pudding bowl haircut, maybe I should check his bank balance against mine though for a reason :smile:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Associates were super cool, unique and much loved. Brilliant at times during their all too short time.

I loved Party Fears Two. I bought the single even though my record player was at my mum's. I used to carry it with me and play it at friends places. I was also obsessed with Joy Division even though my flat mate at the time described them as 'Music to slash your wrists to' .... I was a bit of a shoe gazing art student back then

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
How about Shoreham's own Leo Sayer. By no means a favourite of mine as the thread suggests but certainly uncool and I do appreciate the quality of the songs on his first two albums, "Silverbird" and "Just a Boy". He even referenced some local Shoreham landmarks in his song "The Bells of St Mary's" (St Mary's church and The Lady Jane pub, (now The Waterside Inn). That song's been removed from Youtube so instead i'll give you this sample from the same album

https://youtu.be/0Rwy14Bcqj8

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here