Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reports of a van driving into a crowd of people in Finsbury Park

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still maintain you take and pay a reasonable amount of care and attention towards your surroundings, especially in busy places, especially in the capitol, and especially taking into account life threatening events of the last few years....
I don't. I don't worry about these things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure how we should be aiming to influence muslims though?
How about a proper debate on what the Quran says about killing non believers?

I think they need to learn that the Quran either
a) isn't the direct word of a god
b) that if it is, then the god's not worth following

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its pretty much the same book as the bible... Its all bollocks... but, if people want to be Christians, or Muslims, or Buddists, or anything else... well, ive got no problem with it

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

On Friday night about one in the morning an older guy and his Mrs were set upon by a group of youths when walking home from a friends house. This happened in PEACEHAVEN. The guy ended up in East Grinstead hospital. I've heard he's on the mend but the injuries sustained could easily have killed him.

The point I'm making, is wherever you are in the world (it doesn't have to be on a train or in the west end or whereever) you can just be going about your normal peaceful business and in a heartbeat some evil *******(s) can perpetrate an act than can change the life of you or your family for ever, for absolutely no legitimate reason whatsoever.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Islamophobe?: William Ewart Gladstone (1809–1898) was Prime Minister of Great Britain four times: 1868–74, 1880–85, 1886 and 1892–94. He called the Qur’an an “accursed book” and once held it up during a session of Parliament, declaring: “So long as there is this book there will be no peace in the world.”

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Islamophobe?: William Ewart Gladstone (1809–1898) was Prime Minister of Great Britain four times: 1868–74, 1880–85, 1886 and 1892–94. He called the Qur’an an “accursed book” and once held it up during a session of Parliament, declaring: “So long as there is this book there will be no peace in the world.”

Whilst Gladstone was enjoying all the privileges of his family's fabulous wealth, earned off the back of one of the world's largest slave workforces, I guess he had lots of time to pontificate on such things, as ideology and race relations.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seriously, in the last few years I've commuted to Croydon, the East End and Uxbridge and am currently working a couple of days a week in Birmingham, which I get to by train via London. In fact I'm doing that right now.

If I shat myself every time I saw a Muslim or an Asian with a backpack I'd never have clean pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm (hopefully - apart from the getting older thing) still quite a long way from soiling myself, it's more just being generally aware of my surroundings. Practically I am a fatalist - if your number is up, it's up. The chances of actually being involved in one of the type of incidents that are becoming too common is still tiny so I don't let it change my plans. Having been on the second plane back to London from NYC after the Twin Towers (and due at a meeting there that afternoon), the hotel I stayed in in Bogota being attacked soon after I stayed there and in London on 7/7 I've skirted around a few things.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I mainly look out for drivers on their phones while I walk my kids to school, I spot them every day and they scare me. In 10mins at the Old Shoreham Rd lights with Boundary Rd , at least 1 vehicle jumps the lights every day, just in 10mins. The roads scare me far more than terrorists.

Yes me too. This is a far bigger threat to me and my children. By my (very rough) estimation, a child born today, if nothing improves, stands an approximate 3% chance of being involved in at least 1 serious road accident in their lives, the vast majority of which are preventable. Not to mention the threat to their health from exhaust fumes. Why aren't people angry about this?

Pretty much every day you can read about a serious or fatal traffic collision in the Argus, yet it has become so normalised that we have become blind to them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes me too. This is a far bigger threat to me and my children. By my (very rough) estimation, a child born today, if nothing improves, stands an approximate 3% chance of being involved in at least 1 serious road accident in their lives, the vast majority of which are preventable. Not to mention the threat to their health from exhaust fumes. Why aren't people angry about this?

Pretty much every day you can read about a serious or fatal traffic collision in the Argus, yet it has become so normalised that we have become blind to them.

The uproar at introducing 20mph speed limits in built up areas where there are significant numbers of pedestrians! While it is rare someone does 20mph, what I have noticed is that it is rare anyone does over 30mph - there has been a definite impact I think in slower speeds in 20mph areas than when they were 30mph making them significantly safer.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still maintain you take and pay a reasonable amount of care and attention towards your surroundings, especially in busy places, especially in the capitol, and especially taking into account life threatening events of the last few years....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you were to walk from a to b in London how would you go about paying all this care and attention? What are you looking for? I'm genuinely curious.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The uproar at introducing 20mph speed limits in built up areas where there are significant numbers of pedestrians! While it is rare someone does 20mph, what I have noticed is that it is rare anyone does over 30mph - there has been a definite impact I think in slower speeds in 20mph areas than when they were 30mph making them significantly safer.

As a non pedestrian driver it's sad to see the increase over the last few years of pedestrians just walking out in the road assuming your going to stop for them. What happened to the days when people waited for a decent gap in the traffic before crossing?

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a non pedestrian driver it's sad to see the increase over the last few years of pedestrians just walking out in the road assuming your going to stop for them. What happened to the days when people waited for a decent gap in the traffic before crossing?

So many cars now and so many rude drivers. When I'm on foot, if I'm waiting for ages to cross I wait for a car going slightly slower and using polite hand gestures and a look of intent they usually slow down enough and let me cross. Astonishing the amount of drivers who simply will not let anyone cross when it is safe to do so. Me me me.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So many cars now and so many rude drivers. When I'm on foot, if I'm waiting for ages to cross I wait for a car going slightly slower and using polite hand gestures and a look of intent they usually slow down enough and let me cross. Astonishing the amount of drivers who simply will not let anyone cross when it is safe to do so. Me me me.

In fairness the rude arrogance is both ways, I don't mind stopping to let people cross it just depends on where I am and if it will put pedestrians in danger from other drivers not reading what I am doing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I like being kind to people on their own journey and if I can help making it easier for them I will. It's about giving people an open opportunity whatever their mode of transport including legs..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Isn't it in the Highway Code that as soon as a pedestrian sets foot on the road, they do have right of way? I agree with The Clamp, drivers don't even stop for mums with prams or wheelchairs, or old folk anymore. The roads have gotten very rude.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Isn't it in the Highway Code that as soon as a pedestrian sets foot on the road, they do have right of way? I agree with The Clamp, drivers don't even stop for mums with prams or wheelchairs, or old folk anymore. The roads have gotten very rude.

I think it is at junctions. Once pedestrians step into the road then they have right of way over vehicles turning into the junction. It's rule 170 from memory and it's very weak. I don't think it uses the word "must" which I believe is legally significant. Don't expect a prosecution if you are run over if you start crossing thinking somebody will observe this part of the highway code. In my experience most drivers are either unaware of it or ignore it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here