Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever played a prank on a work colleague?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Switched the "y" and the "t" caps on the computer keyboard of a mate. Since this is often a mistake made by a diligent worker it usually takes them a while to figure out what is wrong.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
We altered the male toilet on one floor, using the coin trick, from the outside from vacant to engaged. The resident dick on that floor kept trying to use it, for some considerable time, returning again and again, desparate. This went on into the early evening until he cottoned on. Just five seconds away all along were other male toilets on another floor, but this plank was stubborn.

25 years ago, we used laxatives in tea, on a thoroughly unpleasant aggressive colleague and it worked. (When similar incidents have been mentioned by others on NSC before, NSC's very own Barrack Room Lawyers get hot under the collar :facepalm:).

Wound the cord to a landline phone round and round the hole in a desk that'd designed for computer cabling. The victim took a call, with an inch of spare cord, having to lay his head on the desk sideways.

Before the internet in about 1990, there was a premium telephone number where you spoke to an angry 'person', which contained prerecorded answers from an increasingly irate anonymous person at the other end. The louder or more irate you got, the automated answers did too. Quite clever for the era. We put a call through to someone, who didn't cotton on and got involved in very long argument with not a real person.

The pre recorded call was great - got done with that myself :annoyed:

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Many moons ago a colleague played a prank on their line manager.

I think it was the line manager's birthday and one of their team thought it would be funny to rig up a party popper to 'explode' when he opened up his desk. Sounds harmless enough, but unfortunately it back fired!

On opening his desk the party popper successfully went off to create the desired effect.............but a fragment went straight into his eye. The young team member was mortified and I was tasked with taking her boss to Lewes Hospital. He had a scratched cornea, but fortunately there was no lasting damage!

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Whilst working for a rather prestigious engineering company in Fareham, I left a 'post it' on a straight-laced colleague's monitor, with a note to call Mr. C. Lyon, and put the phone number to Brighton Dolphinarium.

When he called the number, the receptionist actually told him that Mr. C. Lyon had gone for a swim, but that she'd give him a message!

He never lived it down - and - he never got me back....coz he had a sense of humour dump, and told me I was childish :)

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I was a trainer in the pre Internet or PowerPoint days when carousels of 35m slides were used for presentations.

We gave the same courses most weeks and so had several carousels of slides and became almost robotic in our presentations.
So there was someone in our team who started to swap a few slides around out of sequence - always in other people's slide sets.

Oh the hilarity!

Then, somebody else in the team inserted some random slides of bikini-clad ladies into the carousels - the hilarity was unbound!

Actually, although looking back it sounds really tame, it was really funny at the time as it was a rather conservative environment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got the Divisional CEO in the bank to send a fax (yes it was a while ago) to our office/branch head (on his 40th birthday) telling him that he wanted to start opening our Mayfair private bank on Saturdays to 'improve customer service' etc and he needed to hold a staff meeting to get everyone to agree to work alternate weekends. We primed a few staff to react very badly at intervals throughout his presentation, but as it turned out the reaction from those not primed was so negative we didn't need the 'plants' - one actually stormed out of the meeting saying 'I'm not ****ing coming in on a Saturday'. He actually did his best to hold a balanced meeting before we told him (after about 40 minutes) that it was all a wind-up. He was massively pissed off and held it against me and the other guy that set it up for ages (but as the CEO was involved he of course told him how hilarious he found the whole thing)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Once emptied a bag of sugar in water tank at work, due to fussy tea drinkers.
It played havoc for about a week with tea makers being blamed for putting sugar in 'no sugar' tea drinkers. Hundreds of cups were made and thrown away before the cause was established.

I suppose it also established why your diabetic work colleague had inexplicably and suddenly slipped into a coma.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
empted the hole punch pieces into bosses brolly and rolled it up again - then they went to lunch and it began to rain - confetti head in the middle of Queens Road :lolol:

Queens Road in Brighton? I did the exact same thing, except to a colleague rather than boss. Confetti shower at the junction with Queens Road Quadrant!

The boss got screwed up paper in his briefcase (which only ever contained his lunch, but he thought it made him look important!)

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Queens Road in Brighton? I did the exact same thing, except to a colleague rather than boss. Confetti shower at the junction with Queens Road Quadrant!

The boss got screwed up paper in his briefcase (which only ever contained his lunch, but he thought it made him look important!)

you didnt work for an insurance company up Queens road did you ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For Secret Santa at the (always dull) firm's Christmas lunch.

A colleague got an obnoxious **** bald colleague, a hair comb in which he'd hack-sawed out all of the teeth. In front of a baying crowd, the fuming victim tossed it angrily into a bin within a nano-second.

Not pleased one jot = a great result. :lolol::lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Before I explain this "prank" I realise now it wasn't without risk and a bit stupid had anything serious happened, like Russia invading West Germany, but it was still very funny.

In the early 80's I worked as the Ops Sgt of a Armd Div Regiment in Germany, a part of the communications set was a very lively fax machine, said machine would send changes to security status, situation reports etc, so quite a necessary piece of kit (this makes my prank really stupid).

This is obviously a time of many IRA security incidents and letter bombs.

One Friday afternoon (it always is a Friday afternoon) I thought I'd send a prank fax to the brigades, units and support areas on the Division, I think there were about 70+ fax machines to send to.

The fax informed the other security desks and recipients that the IRA had found a way of sending Letter Bombs by fax and all machines should not only be switched off but disconnected. I now realise this was really stupid and I didn't think anyone would actually do it but thought people would find the fax funny, 3 or 4 recipients didn't see the joke and acted accordingly.

As I packed my box with my belongings for my new, less attractive posting in the UK I didn't find it as funny as I first had but I did gain legend status.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Before I explain this "prank" I realise now it wasn't without risk and a bit stupid had anything serious happened, like Russia invading West Germany, but it was still very funny.

In the early 80's I worked as the Ops Sgt of a Armd Div Regiment in Germany, a part of the communications set was a very lively fax machine, said machine would send changes to security status, situation reports etc, so quite a necessary piece of kit (this makes my prank really stupid).

This is obviously a time of many IRA security incidents and letter bombs.

One Friday afternoon (it always is a Friday afternoon) I thought I'd send a prank fax to the brigades, units and support areas on the Division, I think there were about 70+ fax machines to send to.

The fax informed the other security desks and recipients that the IRA had found a way of sending Letter Bombs by fax and all machines should not only be switched off but disconnected. I now realise this was really stupid and I didn't think anyone would actually do it but thought people would find the fax funny, 3 or 4 recipients didn't see the joke and acted accordingly.

As I packed my box with my belongings for my new, less attractive posting in the UK I didn't find it as funny as I first had but I did gain legend status.

Excellent, good job you weren't a sapper :wink:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Excellent, good job you weren't a sapper :wink:

To be fair even my boss thought it was "amusing but nonetheless not without risk", due to the seniority of some of the actionees I was merely fast tracked onto my next posting

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Last summer my workplace decided to buy all their employees water bottles. No real idea why, but that's what they did.

A few weeks later, my department had a quiet day so everyone was offered the choice to go home on holiday or not. Everyone but me and my friend agreed to this, leaving us alone in our department with very little work or supervision. One of the people who went home was a kid who everyone in our department disliked for being a lazy, useless, annoying bellend. For whatever reason, he decided to leave his steel toe capped boots and his water bottle at work, so with not much to do I took t upon myself to put one of his boot laces in his bottle, pour in some copydex and then begin the slow, arduous task of making this bottle IMPOSSIBLE to open.

I must have spent 40 minutes on a continuous cycle of shrink-wrapping the bottle, taping the shrink-wrap, using a heat gun on the tape to make it harder to get a grip on, cable-tying the melted tape, shrink-wrapping over the cable ties, covering the shrink wrap in copydex, duct taping over the copydex etc. I then put the second shoelace on the bottle and wrapped it some more, but left the lace dangling down so you could see it, before leaving a note saying "guess where the other lace is?"

Bellend McGee comes in tomorrow to find his water bottle replaced by an American Football sized lump of tape with his lace dangling out of it. He tries to laugh it off but is clearly fuming. He tries to cut his way through to the centre of the bottle but all he managed to achieve is cutting his shoelace in half. At this point I am cracking up, as he now tries to rescue his other lace, boots sliding off his feet every other step.

Every 5 minutes he stops working to try and undo another layer of gluey/wrappy goodness and every time he gets caught not working he gets a bollocking, until eventually he's given a discussion note on his record for a lack of work done. The whole time it's 28 degrees outside, and he's desperate for a drink. In the end he had to use the laces from his trainers and had to go drinkless until break time where he could go to Tesco.

Less than a week later he left his hat at work and found it duct taped to the ceiling. Even I don't know who that one was.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
To be fair even my boss thought it was "amusing but nonetheless not without risk", due to the seniority of some of the actionees I was merely fast tracked onto my next posting

Couldn't have been a sapper as my job was a doddle

The forces SOH has always been great, hard to understand, but nevertheless a good way of bonding people together.
My uncle was a sapper, now retired and living in Germany, has the same dry SOH as me :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here