Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn' s at it again !

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This time he wants to take away any vacant legally owned property in Kensington and rehouse the people caught in that terrible fire.

I feel as sorry as everyone else does about that tragedy but stealing other people's property is clearly not the answer.

Corbyn really is a Marxist lowlife. Embarrassing how close we came to this moron gaining power

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This time he wants to take away any vacant legally owned property in Kensington and rehouse the people caught in that terrible fire.

I feel as sorry as everyone else does about that tragedy but stealing other people's property is clearly not the answer.

Corbyn really is a Marxist lowlife. Embarrassing how close we came to this moron gaining power

I didn't vote Labour but the only moron is you - another thread worthy of being locked or moved to the childish ramblings.

MODs - can you oblige please?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Ridiculous thread. Temporary requisitioning of private property for public benefit in response to a crisis has a long and honourable history. Anyone who doesn't think what has just happened in North Kensington merits the term 'crisis', needs to get a sense of proportion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A temporary measure for people with no homes and may have had family die. Get your priorities sorted dick head.

Yup. No Corbyn fan but if there's a long-time vacant property in Kensington and there's a desperate need to house people then as a short-term solution I think it needs considering. Prioritise it so that families are housed first, families sign agreement to be good tenants, make it clear that it is only for a very limited time, reimburse the owner so they are not out of pocket, ensure that house is returned to them in the state it was in and don't charge the owners any council tax for the duration. That would seem to me to be a council acting in the best interests of its residents.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
While Mrs May visits and ignores the residents affected does not speek to one person who has lost family or home instead talks to a select hand picked group of the emergency services.

This is a national disaster why is it being left to local people organising the relief where is the Army why are they not building temporary accommodation on any spare ground in the bourough of Kensington why is the Government doing nothing other than a public enquire which will kick the whole issue into the long grass, the Governments austerity has caused this disaster outsourcing the managment of the council stock of property is a direct result of cost cutting the Priminister should take the ultimate responsibility and resign

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yup. No Corbyn fan but if there's a long-time vacant property in Kensington and there's a desperate need to house people then as a short-term solution I think it needs considering. Prioritise it so that families are housed first, families sign agreement to be good tenants, make it clear that it is only for a very limited time, reimburse the owner so they are not out of pocket, ensure that house is returned to them in the state it was in and don't charge them owners any council tax for the duration.

Perhaps expand that to the rest of the country..for anyone thats fallen on hard times

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
1. Do you have a link to Corbyn saying this? I have found a link to a quote by a former Labour minister (David Lammy) but cannot find anything like this from Corbyn
2. If you own property in Kensington that is empty why wouldn't you want to help victims of this awful event?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Try watching the news and look at people who have nowhere to sleep tonight before trying to make cheap points

Nah, be like [MENTION=34864]Live by the sea[/MENTION], serves 'em right, brought it on themselves, Milk of Human Kindness? I'm all right jack,let the b*stards suffer, that'll teach the scrounging ne'er-do-wells a valuable lesson they won't forget.

larus

This does have several questions which would need to be answered.

What happens if places are fully furnished? For example, say you have a nice apartment but live part of the year away. Labour say the apartment is suitable, homeless people move in and then things get damaged. Who picks up the tab for that?

Or would the policy just relate to empty, uninhabited places? if this is the case, then as long as it's a temporary proposal, I can't see much of a problem. Only caveat is the damage etc. as above (although without furnishings this is not such an issues but would apply to kitchens, bathrooms, etc.).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Regardless of one's political leanings, the extent of foreign ownership of property in the UK, especially London (and within that Kensington being particularly attractive) is scary.

Many of these properties are vacant, simply because the owners, who are frequently nameplate companies registered in tax havens, use them as a store of wealth, rather than as a dwelling.

Take a look at the Private Eye map of foreign ownership, note the prices of the properties, and ask yourself how did we let this happen?

https://suemarcar.carto.com/viz/9fc804fa-4b6b-11e5-a73d-0e0c41326911/embed_map

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

You call it Marxist lowlife - I just see it as humanity and compassion. None of us who weren't there can have any idea of the horror that people have had to endure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps expand that to the rest of the country..for anyone thats fallen on hard times

You could be onto something. Anyone with a long-time vacant property (say 3 years) that isn't or wasn't their main residence might find that it gets requisitioned for max of say, 6 months in a 3 year period. Put measures in place so that say, old people in long-term care or those working abroad don't get caught out. Could work.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
When I saw the "Corbyn's at it again" heading, I assumed this was going to be in reference to him jumping Diane Abott.

Turns out I was quite wrong.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Try watching the news and look at people who have nowhere to sleep tonight before trying to make cheap points

Yeah God forbid people would try to score cheap political points without knowing any of the facts

Nothing will be done bar 'lessons will be learnt' as it goes to the very heart of the government , from the residents unable to get Legal Aid to challenge the council to May's new chief of staff sitting on a report that could have changed things whilst housing minister

It was on Guardian website, Corbyn now at the site meeting survivors etc

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Regardless of one's political leanings, the extent of foreign ownership of property in the UK, especially London (and within that Kensington being particularly attractive) is scary.

Many of these properties are vacant, simply because the owners, who are frequently nameplate companies registered in tax havens, use them as a store of wealth, rather than as a dwelling.

Take a look at the Private Eye map of foreign ownership, note the prices of the properties, and ask yourself how did we let this happen?

...but then you could expand that to many places in Devon or Cornwall that are second homes left empty for a considerable part of the year or holiday lets ...denying local people housing etc

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Totally this. And we wonder why we have a housing problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here