Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it 1000 loyalty points for a season ticket ?

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
and if so does anyone know when that number gets added as my account still shows just 365 loyalty points but I have paid in full and upfront for a season ticket this year

thanks in advance

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
and if so does anyone know when that number gets added as my account still shows just 365 loyalty points but I have paid in full and upfront for a season ticket this year

thanks in advance

I'm assuming you're purchased one for the season ahead having not had one last season. I think once next seasons games are added to your season ticket as your next 'event's' the 1000 points will then appear. Nobody has next seasons games loaded on yet.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Mine is still showing last season's total (season ticket plus cup and away tickets), so I guess none of the adjustments have been made yet for next season.

One issue is that it's looking as if, now we're in the premier league the distribution of loyalty points will become over time much more polarised, with a lot of people clustered at or around the 1,000-1,050 points level, and a hard core with lots of points (1,200 or a lot more) and hardly anyone in between. In the past people like me, in the middle (I've currently got 1140 before it gets reduced to 1070 at the start of the season) who went to a few cup and away matches each season, never had a problem buying away tickets when they wanted, even for big matches (for example I easily got one for the last match at Villa). In future it seems that demand will be so high from the 1901-ers and others with lots of points that they will take all the away tickets and continue to stack up more points, while those with fewer points are unable to build up their points total because they won't get a look in. Even if we are able to get away tickets for Burnley, Stoke, and Hudds, say, that's probably likely to be all we'll get, so our points total will only go up by 15-20 points each year, while those starting with a bigger total will be able to easily rack up 40-50 points each season, even after the halving process.

I guess it's fair enough to reward the most loyal away supporters in this way (not so sure about 1901-ers, personally), but the point is that it's going to be much harder in future for someone to become a loyal away supporter. Also worth adding that there may well be a fair number of people (well, I know a few personally) who, in anticipation of this, regularly bought away tickets last season and never (or hardly ever) went to the matches, simply in order to build up the points so that they were well-placed for the glamour fixtures if our promotion push turned out to be successful.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Mine is still showing last season's total (season ticket plus cup and away tickets), so I guess none of the adjustments have been made yet for next season.

One issue is that it's looking as if, now we're in the premier league the distribution of loyalty points will become over time much more polarised, with a lot of people clustered at or around the 1,000-1,050 points level, and a hard core with lots of points (1,200 or a lot more) and hardly anyone in between. In the past people like me, in the middle (I've currently got 1140 before it gets reduced to 1070 at the start of the season) who went to a few cup and away matches each season, never had a problem buying away tickets when they wanted, even for big matches (for example I easily got one for the last match at Villa). In future it seems that demand will be so high from the 1901-ers and others with lots of points that they will take all the away tickets and continue to stack up more points, while those with fewer points are unable to build up their points total because they won't get a look in. Even if we are able to get away tickets for Burnley, Stoke, and Hudds, say, that's probably likely to be all we'll get, so our points total will only go up by 15-20 points each year, while those starting with a bigger total will be able to easily rack up 40-50 points each season, even after the halving process.

I guess it's fair enough to reward the most loyal away supporters in this way (not so sure about 1901-ers, personally), but the point is that it's going to be much harder in future for someone to become a loyal away supporter. Also worth adding that there may well be a fair number of people (well, I know a few personally) who, in anticipation of this, regularly bought away tickets last season and never (or hardly ever) went to the matches, simply in order to build up the points so that they were well-placed for the glamour fixtures if our promotion push turned out to be successful.

Surely those who have built up big balances have travelled all round the country supporting the team so deserve first dibs at tickets this season ahead of those who didn't.

The 1901 argument (as covered before) is covered partly by the fact that they in effect pay for home cup matches in advance so if we had 5 home FA cup/League Cup matches in a season they would be on the same points as a non-1901er who bought tickets for these matches. I would argue they should get their points during the season rather than all at once.

I see your point about new supporters not being able to get onto the bus, but that's 21st century football unfortunately.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Surely those who have built up big balances have travelled all round the country supporting the team so deserve first dibs at tickets this season ahead of those who didn't.

The 1901 argument (as covered before) is covered partly by the fact that they in effect pay for home cup matches in advance so if we had 5 home FA cup/League Cup matches in a season they would be on the same points as a non-1901er who bought tickets for these matches. I would argue they should get their points during the season rather than all at once.

I see your point about new supporters not being able to get onto the bus, but that's 21st century football unfortunately.

The loyalty scheme probably does need looking at but maybe not for newbies, someone who has been a STH and travelled to numerous away games over the last 5 seasons

should in my opinion get first dibs at away tickets regardless of what division we are in.

I think the 1901 issue is a bit more complex, if the club start removing the extra loyalty points next season there is going to be some pretty pissed off people.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The loyalty scheme probably does need looking at but maybe not for newbies, someone who has been a STH and travelled to numerous away games over the last 5 seasons should in my opinion get first dibs at away tickets regardless of what division we are in.

That's what we've got.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what is the problem?

You're the one who said it "probably does need looking at" so you tell me/us!

I have a slight issue with the 1901 starting position, but you'd set that aside.

Apart from that, in situations where demand nearly always exceeds supply, I think these schemes can become a bit of a closed shop. If you're in a position where you always get a sought after ticket, there is considerable incentive to ensure your loyalty points keep accruing in order to maintain that level of priority.

I'm not sure what you can do about that other than, say, doing something like 80% of tickets to be sold based on loyalty points and 20% on a random ballot. I'm not sure that's fair on those who do make the effort to go to games/accrue loyalty points.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Yes, I agree with that. I don't have a problem with loyalty being rewarded (although as I said in my original post, some of those who racked up the points last season were not travelling around the country, rather they were STHs who could afford to 'tactically' buy away tickets they had no intention of using, just to get the points for this season).
Anyway, I'm not really whingeing, but simply observing that there is a largeish group of people like me, who are long-term season ticket holders, and who regularly (but not frequently - maybe 4-5 times a season) go to away matches, who in future will probably be excluded from most away matches. So it's not just about 'new supporters' not being able to get onto the bus, but also some long-term supporters. It will be interesting to see in say, five years time (assuming we manage to stay up....) how sustainable this will be, because by that time, people like me will have found that their points total will have fallen almost to 1000 (because they won't have been able to top it up), and all the away tickets will be taken by a group of hard core loyalists with points totals up in the 1,300 plus levels, with no one in between, and there being absolutely no way for someone to get from the first group to the second.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
...all the away tickets will be taken by a group of hard core loyalists with points totals up in the 1,300 plus levels, with no one in between, and there being absolutely no way for someone to get from the first group to the second.
Old age, infirmity and ultimately death will eventually take their toll

What's the mean age of the people with 1,300 plus?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Old age, infirmity and ultimately death will eventually take their toll

What's the mean age of the people with 1,300 plus?

I think the mean would be pretty misleading. I think a distribution curve of those with the highest number of loyalty points would show two peaks:

1. Younger people, probably not married and almost certainly without kids. A bit of cash and a fair bit of time.
2. Older people, where any kids are now older, and probably moved out of home. A lot more cash and a fair bit of time.

Most (but not all) of those I can think of that go to most away games fit in these groups.

Some combination of marriage, kids and mortgages make it difficult for many of those in the middle.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Thanks Bozza

So we can expect some churn then in the short to medium term - but perhaps not that much

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You're the one who said it "probably does need looking at" so you tell me/us!

I have a slight issue with the 1901 starting position, but you'd set that aside.

Apart from that, in situations where demand nearly always exceeds supply, I think these schemes can become a bit of a closed shop. If you're in a position where you always get a sought after ticket, there is considerable incentive to ensure your loyalty points keep accruing in order to maintain that level of priority.

I'm not sure what you can do about that other than, say, doing something like 80% of tickets to be sold based on loyalty points and 20% on a random ballot. I'm not sure that's fair on those who do make the effort to go to games/accrue loyalty points.

I must be honest with you I don't know the answer maybe reduce 1901 points which won't go down well.

I can see the OP point a lot of long term

season ticket holders who travelled

a to a few away games probably won't be able to optain tickets next season, it's a complicated problem.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I must be honest with you I don't know the answer maybe reduce 1901 points which won't go down well.

I can see the OP point a lot of long term

season ticket holders who travelled

a to a few away games probably won't be able to optain tickets next season, it's a complicated problem.

Simple - five year season tickets.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
The club are aiming for the most viable solution by spot checking tickets - which I know has been met with universal derision - BUT if you take other PL clubs as an example who don't do this you get the following:

Arsenal - established loyalty scheme not involving points per se but #no of games attended. Has become a closed shop whereby all away tickets are snapped up by those with enough matches attended and now several "Ticket King Pins" have a network of fans to sell away tickets on to - in the main at face value and the Club turn a blind eye.

I know of several fans through work/friends who manage to attend all/any away games by virtue of being loyal customers to said King Pins. They're season ticket holders but never stood a chance with getting legitimate away tickets through the club for league/cup or European trips.

I'm guessing the Albion's primary aim is to avoid such a scenario developing.

You can't please everyone and I for one having 1,050 when they halve last season's total will be left scrabbling around.

My personal intention is to buy tickets to games and maybe not go - selfish I know but I don't want to miss out perennially should we survive/thrive.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

D

Deleted member 2719

thanks in advance

They haven't got time to flick the switch, don't you know they are all out hunting down Premier league bargains.
:banana:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here