Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayweather v McGregor

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's a defensive boxer vs an offensive MMA fighter.

The measurements favour McGregor, he'll be taller, longer reach and will make the cut easier than Mayweather.

He's also a south paw fighter which will help him slightly.

Mayweather hasn't fought for two years so he's not going to be ring fit like CM will be. Hopefully it's not a snorefest like his fight with Pacquiao.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Its a f***ing circus act.
If Mayweather doesn't spark him in the first round (30 seconds would be stringing it out IMHO) I will be very disappointed.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
McGregor wouldn't win the irish boxing title at 154lbs. Now he's facing arguably one of the best boxers off all time. Unless Mayweather doesn't train, is on drugs, is drunk or breaks a leg in the ring. This is as one sided fight as there is. Mayweather is 40 years old now but it's still no competition. The levels in experience and class here are huge. It's a show/event and money making exercise. It's money Mayweather. Simple.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed.

You'd have to fancy McGregor in the (MMA) rematch, though :thumbsup:
If it was a round of boxing, followed by a round of MMA, followed by a round of boxing etc, I'd happily pay to watch, and I'd bet a lot of money it would end in the second round (the first MMA round).

Although a boxing match between these two is a farce, an MMA match would be even more ridiculous - but it would also be a lot more fun. Mayweather wouldn't know what was going on :lol:

Its a f***ing circus act.
Agreed.
If Mayweather doesn't spark him in the first round (30 seconds would be stringing it out IMHO) I will be very disappointed.
That might be asking too much. MMA fighters are used to boxers, and they have smaller gloves to block. If Connor trains well enough, he should be able to hold Mayweather off for a while.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
MMA fighters are used to boxers.

No they're not. They attack from a lot further out in MMA, understandable as they have to consider take downs. Boxers are a lot more crafty 'in range'. The difference in skill level between Boxing and MMA is huge. CM would not have faced anyone half as good as Floyd in the pocket.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Na. Just a glorified thug fest isn't it.

Far from it.

Just so you know, McGregor is a stand up fighter. Punching people hard is his thing.

Not looking for submissions, nor to take the fight to the mat, just flat out knock outs.

Oh and his fighting style, harks back to the early days of boxing, he uses the "fighting Irish" stance a lot. One for the fans of old school pugilism.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No they're not.
Yes they are, because professional boxers join MMA. If you want to make a bet with me that Mayweather wins in 30 seconds, I'll take the bet, thanks.
They attack from a lot further out in MMA, understandable as they have to consider take downs.
Yes, agreed, it's different.
The difference in skill level between Boxing and MMA is huge.
That's a weird thing to say, perhaps you've not been able to explain what you mean. Obviously MMA overall is as skillful as boxing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, MMA is brilliant. A much better spectator sport than boxing.

I don't dispute at all that its entertaining.

Much in the same way a fight in a pub is entertaining.

Any sport where you can choke someone until they pass out falls into a category beyond "sport" in my mind.

And don't get me wrong. I've sat there with mates and roared on as people are getting smashed up, but it's just not an art like boxing.

I think it's INCREDIBLY naïve for CM to think he even has a chance but, to be fair, $100m talks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here