Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Markus Suttner signs for £3.8m on 3 yr contract

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think too many people moaned when we got Shane Duffy.

Oh yes they did!! Lots and lots said that we didn't need another central defender and the money would be better spent on a forward!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oh yes they did!! Lots and lots said that we didn't need another central defender and the money would be better spent on a forward!

Yes, hands up to this. At the time, (and still do think) we are missing a very good forward.

In terms of Duffy, I felt Goldson, Uwe and Dallinson if required were adequate for last season, but Duffy did add a presence that Goldson doesn't have and we did look more assured.

When Uwe came in he was excellent though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Doesn't seem like either side are prepared to move. The club may well wait but for me going into the season with our full back options unchanged doesn't fill me with much confidence. Let's hope other irons are in the fire so to speak.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
To be honest I'm more excited by seeing a prospect like Hunt given a real chance than spending a considerable sum on a recently relegated player, and one pushing into his 30s.

I was uninspired when first linked and remain so.

If it goes through so be it, but I'm kind of like - meh.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
spending a considerable sum on a recently relegated [German] player, and one pushing into his 30s.

bit like Hünemeier who was 29 when we signed him from the relegated S.C Paderborn 07 in 2015.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
bit like Hünemeier who was 29 when we signed him from the relegated S.C Paderborn 07 in 2015.

Yes; but that was the good old Championship. This is literally a whole new ball game. I just fail to see the point of the academy to be truthful - why bother with it if we're going to stump up millions for bang average Austrian internationals?

That and Hunemeier isn't a world beater is he? He's a good Championship defender, I suspect the PL will be a bridge too far.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes; but that was the good old Championship. This is literally a whole new ball game. I just fail to see the point of the academy to be truthful - why bother with it if we're going to stump up millions for bang average Austrian internationals.

I've no idea if he's bang average or great value for money. I've not watched him.
But he's an international, has top flight experience and if he's a target , which most reporting confirms he is, then club presumably think he's vfm.
Hunt or Dallison have potential but have never started even a single Championship game.

Uwe , i guess will be 3rd or 4th choice CB this year but the club are certainly expecting to lean on him given his performances towards the end of last season and presumably because of his Bundesliga experience as with Suttner.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've no idea if he's bang average or great value for money. I've not watched him.
But he's an international, has top flight experience and if he's a target , which most reporting confirms he is, then club presumably think he's vfm.
Hunt or Dallison have potential but have never started even a single Championship game.

Sorry; but every Austrian footballer is by definition bang average - take note of the national team performances. The bloke at Stoke is about the best, but even he plays for a bang average PL side. I remain utterly unconvinced that this is a good way to part with our playing budget, and shows no faith in Hunt et al.

That said, if he signs then he will have my support.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Has a brother. Get the pair in like Leeds did with the Wallaces.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sorry; but every Austrian footballer is by definition bang average - take note of the national team performances. The bloke at Stoke is about the best, but even he plays for a bang average PL side. I remain utterly unconvinced that this is a good way to part with our playing budget, and shows no faith in Hunt et al.

That said, if he signs then he will have my support.
Austria would give England a good game.

:lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Strange one ,

One on hand we are saying he is good enough to be in a premier league side but on the other we are saying not worth £3m.

You can't say both so if he's good enough then he's worth it .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strange one ,

One on hand we are saying he is good enough to be in a premier league side but on the other we are saying not worth £3m.

I still think this is more about the bigger fish still to be caught.

If the Albion roll over and have it's tummy tickled for an aging, no-mark, left back, it'll be going full Brokeback Mountain while negotiating for the big money striker.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Strange one ,

Yeah you can. We just may have targets we think may be more VFM if we need to spend 3M on a LB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here