Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Markus Suttner signs for £3.8m on 3 yr contract

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Looks like we're still shopping with a Championship budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Th guy has one year left on his contract so I can see the clubs point of view. The player and the agent are desperate for the move but Ingolstadt are trying to hold out. I think there may well be a deal somewhere in between those two figures.

It's clear we are looking mainly abroad for value but at some stage we will need to splash some much bigger money which is likely to be a striker / Attacking midfielder

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Why? They only want a measly £3.5

Thank **** you're not in charge of the budget

Yet his agent believes it's a good offer - why pay over the odds?

Markus Klimesch, who represents Suttner, has accused Ingolstadt of playing poker at his expense.

He said: “The offer from Brighton is absolutely appropriate and five times what Ingolstadt paid to Austria Vienna two years ago.

“It makes no sense to hold a player against his will.

“Markus wants to switch, the Premier League is his absolute dream.

“He has asked for release several times.”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

What if he's not worth what they're asking?

Anyone can look good in a highlight reel. Do you remember the gushing praise for Paddy McCourt based on his youtube highlights reel?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Equally thank **** you're not in charge of the budget. We're not a club who are suddenly going to start over-paying hugely. We don't think he is worth 3.5 so we won't pay it. Simples.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
What if he's not worth what they're asking?

Anyone can look good in a highlight reel. Do you remember the gushing praise for Paddy McCourt based on his youtube highlights reel?

Totally agree, there have been other examples of this with some of our poorer signings as well. Highlight reels are really not worth anything. You can edit anything to make it look good

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yet his agent believes it's a good offer - why pay over the odds?

Markus Klimesch, who represents Suttner, has accused Ingolstadt of playing poker at his expense.

He said: “The offer from Brighton is absolutely appropriate and five times what Ingolstadt paid to Austria Vienna two years ago.

“It makes no sense to hold a player against his will.

“Markus wants to switch, the Premier League is his absolute dream.

“He has asked for release several times.”

Maybe he could do a Shane Duffy, and start scoring own goals, or getting sent off.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Its more about how much value is in a player, than how much you spend. We paid 2 1/2 million ish for Knocky, and 3 1/2 million for CMS, who is the better player? If we can get bargains, I'm all for it, as long as CH wants the player, and he wants to come to us. Let's leave the willy waving over who pays extortionate transfer fees, to the serial debtors up the road.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No one has the faintest idea if Suttner is any good.

I expect Mr Hughton does.

the same can be said for most signings surely.

But a couple of hundred Bundesliga appearances and caps for Austria suggest he is half decent..

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before politics and racism came along to spoil NSC, a good chunk of the traffic on here was laughing at Pompey and palace for overspending on players x, y & z.

All the while being grateful that Tony isn't like other owners and proud our club is owned by one of the sharper knives in the cutlery draw.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Equally thank **** you're not in charge of the budget. We're not a club who are suddenly going to start over-paying hugely. We don't think he is worth 3.5 so we won't pay it. Simples.

What worries me, is that if we don't think he's worth 3.5m, is he good enough for the Premier League? I understand we don't want to pay it if we don't have to, but......

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
What worries me, is that if we don't think he's worth 3.5m, is he good enough for the Premier League? I understand we don't want to pay it if we don't have to, but......

I believe he has only one year left on this contract.

So the fee we are offering i assume must be a good one, taking that into account.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Before politics and racism came along to spoil NSC, a good chunk of the traffic on here was laughing at Pompey and palace for overspending on players x, y & z.

All the while being grateful that Tony isn't like other owners and proud our club is owned by one of the sharper knives in the cutlery draw.

100% agree, Maybe we should go all out and spunk Money on players left right and centre.

It also shows other clubs we are willing to do business but not be ripped off just because we have Pemier League Money. As soon as we start throwing it around, other clubs we are doing business with will want a little more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What if the extra 'it's only a million of so' comes straight out of the marquee striker budget?

Which would you prefer:-

Setting a precedent by paying over the odds on only the third deal this window
Or
Laying down a marker now, with 'just' a left back, to strengthen negotiations with the bigger more important deals to come?.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
What if the extra 'it's only a million of so' comes straight out of the marquee striker budget?

Which would you prefer setting a precedent by paying over the odds on only the third deal this window
Or
Laying down a marker now, with 'just' a left back, to strengthen negotiations with the bigger more important deals to come?.

I have no idea what our striker budget is, so I can't really answer that. I accept that the club know far more than I do, but to me 3.5m seems cheap for a Premier League class defender. I expect they know what they are doing and will get him a little cheaper.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here