Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working From Home

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tomorrow will be the first time I have ever worked from home, it's only for a day, but I'm genuinely a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any tips on how to do it successfully, without binge watching on Netflix and rinsing the kitchen for biscuits (followed by a trip to the shop to replace them). I have no will power, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

Important not to go back to work with visible sunburn :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tomorrow will be the first time I have ever worked from home, it's only for a day, but I'm genuinely a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any tips on how to do it successfully, without binge watching on Netflix and rinsing the kitchen for biscuits (followed by a trip to the shop to replace them). I have no will power, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

So how did you get on [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]? Just the one or did you make hay whilst the sun shone?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Been a home worker for 15 years, large corporate so get to go to offices when I need some interaction. Love the life balance it gives me and allows me to see my daughter growing up now.I have a separate office and advice would be to keep your days structured, take breaks, and do plenty of VC to keep in touch with people. When I work in the office, the bell cheesery is too much so don't do it too often. Occasionally commute into London and it reminds me of what hell on earth actually looks like. Makes me very thankful for what I have got.

Jul 7, 2003
Definitely agree with the comments about getting out of the house for a break. Get some fresh air, no matter what the weather.

One other thing missed on here. Get yourself a decent chair. You dining room chair will not do nor will the cheapest one from Argos. You will be in that chair for up to 40 hours a week so make sure you get one that is fully adjustable and gives good back support.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Worked from home for 4 years,
I have a spare room which is an office, proper desk and very comfortable chair. , close the door have the radio on ( no TV) cant work on the dinner table and also prefer no distractions ie family.

That said, time is flexible and its easy to stop for anything ......ie leaving for the AMEX in the afternoon for a midweek game.
Also the early morning early evening emails go down well.

No landline phone only mobile....for obvious reasons!!!

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I work from home on Fridays and any day when the Albion have a home match during the week.

My desk at home more or less reflects what I have at the office - two monitors, a mouse, keyboard and even a footrest. As others have pointed out, do invest in a good chair, you might have one from IKEA that only cost you 40 quid but you don't want to spend all day in it and you only get one back etc.

You have to be disciplined - start work at the same time, or even early if you don't have to drive / catch the train.
Upsides: Since I don't have to worry about getting Southern trains to / from Horsham, I can have a lie in! I often do my washing, sit in the garden at lunchtime, or meet friends for lunch. Get stuff delivered to the house
Downsides. Quite often, the first face to face contact I have with someone is the person at the checkout when I go to the supermarket for lunch

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
So how did you get on [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]? Just the one or did you make hay whilst the sun shone?

So yesterday actually went rather well. I was productive for the morning, had lunch at normal time, then found when I got back to the laptop that the work network had gone, leaving me unable access the work mainframe for a couple of hours. Did the housework, watched some cricket, then when the system came online again, finished what I'd started in the morning. Packed up about 4pm ish, and enjoyed a rather nice cold beer.

I could certainly get used to the WFH lifestyle, and having taken the advice on here about keeping a work routine, I felt comfortable yet productive. It was a one off for now, but I think over time the organisation I work for is looking for us to be more agile. I'm moving in a week or so, and when I do I'm going to deliberately leave space to grow an environment that is food to work in.

Thanks for all the advice chaps!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here