Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working From Home

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Tomorrow will be the first time I have ever worked from home, it's only for a day, but I'm genuinely a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any tips on how to do it successfully, without binge watching on Netflix and rinsing the kitchen for biscuits (followed by a trip to the shop to replace them). I have no will power, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Simply ensure there is enough activity on your laptop to give the impression you are working.

Apart from that have a lovely day off and enjoy the sunshine.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Tomorrow will be the first time I have ever worked from home, it's only for a day, but I'm genuinely a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any tips on how to do it successfully, without binge watching on Netflix and rinsing the kitchen for biscuits (followed by a trip to the shop to replace them). I have no will power, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

I work from home 90% of the time.

I don't set myself core hours. I find myself waking up at 2am and if I can't sleep, I work for a few hours. If I am in the mood will work 10 hour or more non stop and if I want a break during the day to go shopping or have long lunches or client meetings I just do it.

Sadly working from home I tend to end up working more but some of my work is at Football Grounds with clients so it's not always like a job so I don't mind. The secret is to always be in credit in terms of hours so that you can take any time off when you want.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
WFH four out of 5 days a week now as prefer it to the daily commute grind to London.

Pace yourself I start early, finish after then when in the office but far more productive in my view.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All the usual advice eg plenty beer in fridge, box sets, don't forget to turn alarm clock off, night before set up an auto email to send to entire business for 6.13am, check what subject of phone in is on 5live etc

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I work from home 100% and have done for a while.

My biggest distraction is the telly. Is it wrong that I know the daily schedules of morning telly :wink:

If you plan on doing it more often then make sure you separate work and home life. My laptop is always shut down at the end of the day to stop me just checking my emails one more time. I also make sure I go for a walk every lunchtime for 30 minutes to get some fresh air and exercise.

Now if only I could find a way of stopping my work policy kicking in and locking the screen after 15 minutes of no activity. Plays havoc with the companies instant messaging system and my current 'status' !!!!

I love it and wouldn't have it any other way but I also have my Mrs working from home too and that can also be a distraction .....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My company had a policy of anybody leaving the company in Prague would be replaced in India. Im the last one of my team here now, all the rest in India, so figured there was no point in going to the office. My boss in India, didnt notice for 2 years.
Not having to go to the office particularly in the winter here is something I treasure. I can smoke, I can work in a dressing gown. I can crawl to the laptop from my bed after the heaviest of evenings. Whats not to like.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I WFH three days a week and like Beach Hut, I find it far more productive than being in the office, and that's ignoring the fact that I save 4-5 hours of commuting a day :|

I'm easily distracted as well, but as others have said the key is about what you need to achieve and not how long you spend at it. Ultimately you aren't paid to be present somewhere, you are paid to deliver your work. The key for me is having a dedicated space, where my toddlers don't come in too often and distract me. In the morning I decide what it is I want to achieve and try to get that done before I have a chance to start wandering off the path (checking my favourite websites etc!).

Definitely don't feel bad about taking a couple of hours out to enjoy the day, that's the whole point of it all, readdressing the work / life balance that frankly, has become ridiculous for most of us.

Hope it's a really successful day and you are able to do it more. It's massively improved things for me.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I work from home quite a bit. Sometimes I am really productive & others less so - a bit like being at work. The benefits of not commuting are. Can do hours as and when I want & swim in sea at lunchtime - this isn't slacking, it's work life balance & I earn it

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Get up, get showered and dressed as you would if you were going to the office, and go out for a walk - even if just round the block for 2 minutes. This gives you the feeling of actually "going to work" rather than just falling out of bed, logging on and starting work 2 minutes later still your pj's. I started doing this and became much more productive.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I separate work from home by doing the work in an office I set up in one of the small spare bedrooms.
Work gets more hours out of me because I almost forget that I am working.
You become so much more relaxed and productive when you take the commute out of the day in addition to all the work colleagues you cannot stand.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Get up as would do normally and start working when you would leave the house. Don't put the tv on even when you stop for lunch otherwise you may well not start working again. If sunny always useful to have a short work after lunch to get some air. Finish mid afternoon and relax but always make sure you send an email or two after 6 as it looks good.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Thanks for the advice chaps. Think I'll get up and "go to work", then go about my day as normal..... just with the cricket on in the background!!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I WFH three days a week and like Beach Hut, I find it far more productive than being in the office, and that's ignoring the fact that I save 4-5 hours of commuting a day :|

I'm easily distracted as well, but as others have said the key is about what you need to achieve and not how long you spend at it. Ultimately you aren't paid to be present somewhere, you are paid to deliver your work. The key for me is having a dedicated space, where my toddlers don't come in too often and distract me. In the morning I decide what it is I want to achieve and try to get that done before I have a chance to start wandering off the path (checking my favourite websites etc!).

Definitely don't feel bad about taking a couple of hours out to enjoy the day, that's the whole point of it all, readdressing the work / life balance that frankly, has become ridiculous for most of us.

Hope it's a really successful day and you are able to do it more. It's massively improved things for me.

Absolutely the same for me (minus any toddler distractions as kids are grown up). Stay disciplined, set aside a 'working space' and just crack on. I do far more work at home than on an equivalent day in the office. No commute but still start early (helps in my case as I can deal with the far East team at a better time for them), no interruptions with mindless chatter, no bellcheeses to suffer directly etc. Tend to knock off around 6, whereas if in London I wouldn't be home until more like 8. Have a break during the day - I go for a run at some point (between conference calls, no set time), might pop into town for a coffee or lunch, that kind of thing. Helps freshen the mind.

I would never go back to 5 day a week commuting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for the advice chaps. Think I'll get up and "go to work", then go about my day as normal..... just with the cricket on in the background!!!!

I find it's best to have a desk.

Stick radio on. Not TV.

Go OUT for a walk / coffee at lunchtime.

You will oddly find you get more work done.

Lastly finish off the 5-5:30 bit by finishing off work by drinking a beer and wonder why you never did this before.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Having worked in an office job for 17 years (estate agent) leaving home just after 6am and getting back at 7pm, I would love to be able to have a job that involved working from home so I could see more of the kids. I'm quite disciplined and would happily work later at night, earlier in the morning etc if it meant I could spend more time with the little ones during the day, I feel like I'm massively missing out.

I'm amazed by how many people actually work from home these days, what work do you all do and how do I get into it?!!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Having worked in an office job for 17 years (estate agent) leaving home just after 6am and getting back at 7pm, I would love to be able to have a job that involved working from home so I could see more of the kids. I'm quite disciplined and would happily work later at night, earlier in the morning etc if it meant I could spend more time with the little ones during the day, I feel like I'm massively missing out.

I'm amazed by how many people actually work from home these days, what work do you all do and how do I get into it?!!

Typically it will be large multi national corporations who pay way too much in renting office space in a desirable part of London then cram more people than there are desks to always keep the building at maximum occupancy and enforce sporadic wfh by a certain % of staff.

I've very recently moved from a role where my manager hated agreeing to it to one who is much more pragmatic and qu'elle surprise we get on famously.

I genuinely feel about 50% more productive due to reduced bellcheesery/interruptions from colleagues. Marvellous

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here