Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To avoid bed wetting - the staying up tracker 36 - level - WE ARE STAYING UP

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think if we 'turn up to a game' we have shown we are as competent as any of the 14 teams in our mini table. The secrete to staying up will be to have the confidence we showed against WBA and WHU.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
so u'd rather 1 point v SCC and 1 vs a top side, than 0 vs SCC and 3 vs a top side, because it deprives a rival of the 3 points? No.
Sigh.

You said Southampton are not going down. I asked you why you're so quick to write off that possibility (given that they are a single point ahead of us after a far kinder fixture list to date). The rest is just noise.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sigh.

You said Southampton are not going down. I asked you why you're so quick to write off that possibility (given that they are a single point ahead of us after a far kinder fixture list to date). The rest is just noise.
The point I was replying to was "Depriving two of our fellow "lower league" teams of points would be almost as crucial as winning ourselves." Later in the season that might be the case if we're in 17th and playing the team in 18th - depriving them of points will be close to as important as winning points ourselves. That is not the case now with SCC, because it's unlikely they'll be going down.

It goes without saying that it's not a fact that any team won't, I'm not offering a billion to one on relegation, I'm merely pointing out that depriving them of points is not nearly as crucial as winning points ourselves.

You can stick your sigh up your arse.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm merely pointing out that depriving them of points is not nearly as crucial as winning points ourselves.

You're wrong to say that as a fact. It all depends on your opinion of Southampton's season. If, like Sim, you think they might flirt with relegation then his statement is perfectly valid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're wrong to say that as a fact.
Are you trying to out pedantic me? That's like if we got a point at home to Spurs and said it's a good point, you saying that's not a fact, because if we go down by 1 point at the end of the season then that 1 point wasn't enough. We can only deal with the hear and now, and right now, getting points is much more important than depriving SCC of points.

It all depends on your opinion of Southampton's season. If, like Sim, you think they might flirt with relegation then his statement is perfectly valid.
No it isn't. If we draw with them, and finish the season in 17th, 1 point above them, then yes, in those extremely unlikely circumstances it would have proved correct, that depriving them of 2 more points was crucial, but the chances of that happening are very unlikely.

Imagine these two scenarios:
a) Lose to Southampton, and get 10 points from the next 10 games (inc game on Sunday)
b) Beat Southampton, but get 9 points from the next 10 games (")
* Assume for the sake of comparison that we've taken equal points from other rivals in the other games, so the point differences would be in games against the top 6.

Which is better (which is what this conversation is about)? A point more, but SCC get 3 from us - or a point less, but deny them of 3 points? a) has to be better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. It's not pedantry to point out you can't make comments like you have as fact when they are based on an opinion.
So, in my example, if we got a point at home to Spurs and fans said it's a good point, would you say no that's not a fact?

And from my examples a) and b) above, which is better?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you trying to out pedantic me? That's like if we got a point at home to Spurs and said it's a good point, you saying that's not a fact, because if we go down by 1 point at the end of the season then that 1 point wasn't enough. We can only deal with the hear and now, and right now, getting points is much more important than depriving SCC of points.

No it isn't. If we draw with them, and finish the season in 17th, 1 point above them, then yes, in those extremely unlikely circumstances it would have proved correct, that depriving them of 2 more points was crucial, but the chances of that happening are very unlikely.

Imagine these two scenarios:
a) Lose to Southampton, and get 10 points from the next 10 games (inc game on Sunday)
* Assume for the sake of comparison that we've taken equal points from other rivals in the other games, so the point differences would be in games against the top 6.

Which is better (which is what this conversation is about)? A point more, but SCC get 3 from us - or a point less, but deny them of 3 points? a) has to be better.

Here. Call yourself a bleedin' pedant? Cah!

:lolol::cheers:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So, in my example, if we got a point at home to Spurs and fans said it's a good point, would you say no that's not a fact?

And from my examples a) and b) above, which is better?

I don't need to seeing as you've confirmed my standpoint in your first reply:

If we draw with them, and finish the season in 17th, 1 point above them, then yes, in those extremely unlikely circumstances it would have proved correct, that depriving them of 2 more points was crucial.

Except that you're wrong that it's unlikely. Sim was referring to all the possible teams that might be down there with us, not just Saints. We both know how tight the relegation battles become, Fulham and Sheff Utd have both been relegated on goal difference in prior years, plenty of other teams have been relegated by the single point. IF Southampton are involved in a relegation battle (not unlikely) and Brighton are too (not unlikely) and the battle for relegation is tight (not unlikely) then preventing those teams from getting points will then be important.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I make plenty of typos and grammatical mistakes, you'll be busy if you want to highlight them all :)

No, I was just being a provocative **** :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Except that you're wrong that it's unlikely.
No I'm not, it is very unlikely. I'm happy to give you odds. 50-1 do? Or do you realise it's less likely than that?
Sim was referring to all the possible teams that might be down there with us, not just Saints.
It's not about what Sim was referring to, it was Giraffe that made a point that I disagreed with, Sim wasn't part of the conversation. He's then replied to the point I was making, not the other way around.

We both know how tight the relegation battles become, Fulham and Sheff Utd have both been relegated on goal difference in prior years, plenty of other teams have been relegated by the single point. IF Southampton are involved in a relegation battle (not unlikely) and Brighton are too (not unlikely) and the battle for relegation is tight (not unlikely) then preventing those teams from getting points will then be important.
You're saying that if a combination of things happen, then something else becomes important. But those things haven't happened yet (and probably won't), we're dealing with the now. What's more important now, us getting points, or SCC not getting points? It's the former.
So given the choice, would you take a or b?:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't need to seeing as you've confirmed my standpoint in your first reply:

Except that you're wrong that it's unlikely. Sim was referring to all the possible teams that might be down there with us, not just Saints. We both know how tight the relegation battles become, Fulham and Sheff Utd have both been relegated on goal difference in prior years, plenty of other teams have been relegated by the single point. IF Southampton are involved in a relegation battle (not unlikely) and Brighton are too (not unlikely) and the battle for relegation is tight (not unlikely) then preventing those teams from getting points will then be important.

This is the modern, armchair, equivalent of organized football fighting; accumulation of extremely small pedant advantage at the enormous cost of words. The more words used to gain the smallest advantage wins. Except the fight never ends and nobody wins (the modern armchair equivalent of 'handbags').

I like it :clap:

ps the game may end if one of the participants calls the other an effing chunt, or suitable non sequiteur (i.e., something that cannot be used to prune a rose bush).

Sorry to interrupt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is the modern, armchair, equivalent of organized football fighting; accumulation of extremely small pedant advantage at the enormous cost of words. The more words used to gain the smallest advantage wins. Except the fight never ends and nobody wins (the modern armchair equivalent of 'handbags').

ps the game may end if one of the participants calls the other an effing chunt, or suitable non sequiteur (i.e., something that cannot be used to prune a rose bush).

Sorry to interrupt.

Open another bottle of red and get stuck in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Open another bottle of red and get stuck in.

I'm not going to lower myself.

There is no need - the bottle is a short reach away :lolol::bigwave:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Sorry to interrupt.

Nah. I'm done. Triggaaar is slowly drowning in his own pedantry. We're now at the stage of putting actual odds on the phrase 'unlikely'. I can't be arsed to argue with someone who resorts to that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah. I'm done. Triggaaar is slowly drowning in his own pedantry.
Pathetic. I'm not being pedantic, I said that getting points is more important than worrying about taking points off of SCC as they are not [likely to be] going down and you want to argue with me about it. I expect you know you're wrong so you're backing out and playing the man not the ball.

It's a simple point, just answer a or b:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or if one just realises he's outclassed and goes home mid game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here