Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To avoid bed wetting - the staying up tracker 36 - level - WE ARE STAYING UP

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How does that work? And you can't give those points to us, we're talking about how many points our rivals will get when they play each other, not how many we get gifted. We might lose against our rivals, they can't all lose when they play each other.

Yes - I see. What I basically did was look at the games left. When two team below us played each other I gave them each 1.33 points, nothing against the big boys, and one point against those above us but not a big boy. Ended up with Stoke and West Ham on 33 points and West Brom further back. Meaning we're already safe. But I might have got my maths wrong!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Yes - I see. What I basically did was look at the games left. When two team below us played each other I gave them each 1.33 points, nothing against the big boys, and one point against those above us but not a big boy. Ended up with Stoke and West Ham on 33 points and West Brom further back. Meaning we're already safe. But I might have got my maths wrong!

My old maths teacher said if I passed my O-Level he'd appeal against it ! Therefore I bow to your mathematical ability and pray to God you're right!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Understood.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I haven’t changed my sheets for over a month now. At one stage earlier this season it was every night.

That's the beauty of new and improved "TenaFan", no more bed wetting for you as you enjoy the super absorbency of TenaFan, a free pad with every pie!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
While them playing each other limits the total they can get, it also creates a minimum they'll get - they can't all lose all their games. When they play each other they'll get an average of 1.33 points per game each*. When they play Stoke they'll get more. When they play West Brom they'll get an average of 3 points :wink:

* Explanation if needed:
When our rivals play each other, if they draw 1 in 3 games, the two teams will get a total of 2 points in that game, and a total of 3 points in each of the other two games - so a total of 8 points over the 3 games. That's an average of 1.33 each per game.

This is a dreadful calculation. You've based it on the fact that of three fixtures, there will be two clear results, and one draw. That might be the case, but you might also get: two draws and one clear result; three clear results; and, three draws.
And I really can't be arsed if you disagree with this, and dissect my analysis :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whoopsie.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is a dreadful calculation. You've based it on the fact that of three fixtures, there will be two clear results, and one draw. That might be the case, but you might also get: two draws and one clear result; three clear results; and, three draws.
That's why it's called an average :shrug: When us relegation candidates play the top teams we get an average of 0.5 points per game. It's a notable difference and useful when trying to predict the final table.

And I really can't be arsed if you disagree with this, and dissect my analysis :wink:
Have I gone too far for you with the word 'average'?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's why it's called an average :shrug: When us relegation candidates play the top teams we get an average of 0.5 points per game. It's a notable difference and useful when trying to predict the final table.

Have I gone too far for you with the word 'average'?

No, you haven't, although average can be interpreted in various ways, such as mean or median. Your calculation is incomplete, as I've demonstrated. You're also mixing up the logic of the number of potential points received in any fixture, and those that certain teams have achieved this season.
Which of those are you willing to concede?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, you haven't, although average can be interpreted in various ways, such as mean or median.
That's an attempt at humour, right?
Your calculation is incomplete, as I've demonstrated.
No.
You're also mixing up the logic of the number of potential points received in any fixture, and those that certain teams have achieved this season.
You've lost me.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No, you haven't, although average can be interpreted in various ways, such as mean or median. Your calculation is incomplete, as I've demonstrated. You're also mixing up the logic of the number of potential points received in any fixture, and those that certain teams have achieved this season.

You got me interested, so I just spent too much of my lunch break working it out.

In the case of the possible number of points that could come out of any given set of 3 football games we get a set of 7 potential outcomes. The Median points per game, per team, works out to 1.33. The average is actually slightly lower, at 1.29.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You got me interested, so I just spent too much of my lunch break working it out.

In the case of the possible number of points that could come out of any given set of 3 football games we get a set of 7 potential outcomes. The Median points per game, per team, works out to 1.33. The average is actually slightly lower, at 1.29.

I also think there are seven potential outcomes, and thanks for doing that calculation, which is beyond me.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Its a long time since my o level maths but memory says the median has to be one of the actual possible results (ie in this case a whole number) which lies in the middle of the series of possible results.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Its a long time since my o level maths but memory says the median has to be one of the actual possible results (ie in this case a whole number) which lies in the middle of the series of possible results.

Balls ... wrote up a full reply to this and lost it because of an attack of stupid (hit the wrong button).

TL;DR though: You're correct, but what I left out in my previous post is that the median I listed is for a set of values that is not whole numbers. It's instead the derived points-per-game-per-team values for each permutation of results that I've taken a median for. Max value = 1.5 (twice), min value 1.0 (once), with intermediary values of 1.33 and 1.17 (twice each). Note that if the min value (1.0) was in the set twice, the median and the mean would be identical. It's the fact that min only occurs once, while the max occurs twice, that creates the offset.

The longer portion of my lost post was going off on one looking at some basic analysis of how competitive this season has, or hasn't, been. It's interesting that only 8 teams are at, or above, the expected median total points score after 30 games (40). Same applies for teams above the expected average. This season so far has a higher average points accumulated (41) than would be expected from a perfectly even set of results, while the median is actually significantly lower (at 35).

That'll be the Man City effect, who've scored more than 2x the expected median. West Brom are exactly 0.5x expected.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Balls ... wrote up a full reply to this and lost it because of an attack of stupid (hit the wrong button).

TL;DR though: You're correct, but what I left out in my previous post is that the median I listed is for a set of values that is not whole numbers. It's instead the derived points-per-game-per-team values for each permutation of results that I've taken a median for. Max value = 1.5 (twice), min value 1.0 (once), with intermediary values of 1.33 and 1.17 (twice each). Note that if the min value (1.0) was in the set twice, the median and the mean would be identical. It's the fact that min only occurs once, while the max occurs twice, that creates the offset.

The longer portion of my lost post was going off on one looking at some basic analysis of how competitive this season has, or hasn't, been. It's interesting that only 8 teams are at, or above, the expected median total points score after 30 games (40). Same applies for teams above the expected average. This season so far has a higher average points accumulated (41) than would be expected from a perfectly even set of results, while the median is actually significantly lower (at 35).

That'll be the Man City effect, who've scored more than 2x the expected median. West Brom are exactly 0.5x expected.

Thanks again for this. I'm following you (I think/hope), and you're using the correct terminology, so you seem to be on to something.
Related to this, does anyone know the number of draws in the PL this season, in comparison to other seasons because, as you suggest and is quite obvious, a high number of draws will reduce the overall/combined points total in the league, and this ought to also have the knock-on effect of reducing the survival points required total.

D

Deleted member 2719

1 down now, come on lads lets get over that line starting with 3 point against Huddersfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here