Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To avoid bed wetting - the staying up tracker 36 - level - WE ARE STAYING UP

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I don't think anyone would be happy with one point from next two, at least two points, four would be excellent, six would be awesome.

Depriving two of our fellow "lower league" teams of points would be almost as crucial as winning ourselves. Two points would therefore not be too bad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Depriving two of our fellow "lower league" teams of points would be almost as crucial as winning ourselves. Two points would therefore not be too bad.
Two points wouldn't be too bad, but I disagree about depriving SCC of points. All we care about is survival, and Southampton are not going down. Depriving Swansea on the other hand, would be very good.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Two points wouldn't be too bad, but I disagree about depriving SCC of points. All we care about is survival, and Southampton are not going down. Depriving Swansea on the other hand, would be very good.

9 points from 8 games suggests Southampton are no great shakes really. I'd still class them as one of the 12 teams that with injuries and a bit of bad luck could get sucked in to the last relegation place. They probably won't but I don't think you can say anyone other than the normal six is safe from relegation. It's a stupid stupid league!

seagull101

Feb 19, 2009
Great

Nope, that needs to be a genuine bonus to make up for our likely failure to beat Stoke and West Brom at home.

Have done this for the last few seasons as we hit the last 10 games (which ones we might win, draw lose etc ) and included the others in top six, but for a full season - inspired (as in inspirational - where the MS Office button).

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
To my shame this the first time I have opened this thread, having seen the words “bed wetting” I just assumed it would be one of those types of threads, and deliberately avoided.

We’ve just bought a new business analytics tool at work, and all I want to do right now is to feed this data in and see what we can get out.

Have also thinking of ideas for v2.0, perhaps somehow parameterising, eg, say what if we decide it’s top 8 rather than top 10 that we don’t expect points from, that kind of thing.

Nice work Giraffe.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Cheers my dears. Note this was only bit of your post I understood! Parametising?!

Basically, passing a value or set of values (parameters) into the graph/table, so that it affects the final outcome. Example if we want to change our assumption that top ten = zero points, bottom ten = home win and away draw, to say, top 8 and bottom 12.

And you always thought I was just wires under desks.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Basically, passing a value or set of values (parameters) into the graph/table, so that it affects the final outcome. Example if we want to change our assumption that top ten = zero points, bottom ten = home win and away draw, to say, top 8 and bottom 12.

And you always thought I was just wires under desks.

Now we know what to do at our next WP meet up!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
9 points from 8 games suggests Southampton are no great shakes really. I'd still class them as one of the 12 teams that with injuries and a bit of bad luck could get sucked in to the last relegation place.
Sure, but when it comes to accounting for taking points off relegation rivals as being as important as getting points ourselves, it's a bit early in the season and we don't want to include as many as 12 teams in that category. A win and loss from our next two games (in either order) is much better than 2 draws.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
A win and loss from our next two games (in either order) is much better than 2 draws.

Two wins - even better :banana:

I think the team has shown that we are capable of playing well enough to win the next two against Swansea and Southampton. Whether we will play well enough on the day remains to be seen, obviously. The team has been progressing nicely and look less nervous with each game.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8173664]Two wins - even better :banana:

I think the team has shown that we are capable of playing well enough to win the next two against Swansea and Southampton. Whether we will play well enough on the day remains to be seen, obviously. The team has been progressing nicely and look less nervous with each game.

Agree. Can only imagine what Friday night did for their confidence. We didn’t even sit back and try to defend the lead in the second half (I was expecting 45 mins of nail-biting). Marvellous scenes.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If 24 points is our target before the end of the year, our home games v Stoke, Palace, Burnley and Watford are going to be critical, as well as needing at least one win at Swansea, Hudds or Newcastle.

Southampton (H) - 1
Swansea/Hudds/Toon (A) - 4
Stoke/Palace/Burnley/Watford (H) - 7
United/Liverpool/Spurs/Chelsea (H/A) - 0

If we can just pick up 3 wins out of 12 then we're bound to get a couple of draws along the way to keep us on course. 23 by my reckoning.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Some interesting stats about Southampton

- 6 of their 9 games have been at home
- They've had a pretty easy run so far:
Home: West Brom, Newcastle, Man U, Watford, West Ham, Swansea
Away: Huddersfield, Stoke, Palace
- They've scored 2 away goals so far (in three games - against teams they should be beating if they have aspirations for Europe)
- Ex-Juve £15m central midfielder Lemina who has been a bit of a hit so far is out (https://saintsmarching.com/2017/10/27/southampton-ten-game-player-analysis-mario-lemina/)

I suspect they could have a tough season.

Useful resource - Home and Away form table http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm not sure why you're writing off the idea of Southampton being relegated, especially when you're arguing on another thread that WE are in a relegation battle. I'd say we don't look any worse than they do, and there won't be more than a handful of points between the two sides by the end of the season.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Just applied the Staying Up Tracker to Southampton and they're currently 6 points behind where they should be. So they'll have to claw back those points with some wins vs top half sides or in away games. Wouldn't put that past them but goes to show how poor a start it has been for them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure why you're writing off the idea of Southampton being relegated, especially when you're arguing on another thread that WE are in a relegation battle. I'd say we don't look any worse than they do, and there won't be more than a handful of points between the two sides by the end of the season.
My point about them not going down is simply from the perspective of the value of denying a relegation rival points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some interesting stats about Southampton

- 6 of their 9 games have been at home
- They've had a pretty easy run so far:
Home: West Brom, Newcastle, Man U, Watford, West Ham, Swansea
Away: Huddersfield, Stoke, Palace
- They've scored 2 away goals so far (in three games - against teams they should be beating if they have aspirations for Europe)
- Ex-Juve £15m central midfielder Lemina who has been a bit of a hit so far is out (https://saintsmarching.com/2017/10/27/southampton-ten-game-player-analysis-mario-lemina/)

I suspect they could have a tough season.

Useful resource - Home and Away form table http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england

I was going to post something very similar to this having checked out their form earlier.

The 6 home / 3 away thing is strange but I assume it's because West Ham (who they played on 19th August) were unable to play at home then, so it probably got switched.

Regardless their current league position is possibly flattered by the run of games they've had which, as you say, is about as easy as anyone will have had to date.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My point about them not going down is simply from the perspective of the value of denying a relegation rival points.
...which Southampton could well be. See [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION]'s analysis above.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...which Southampton could well be. See [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION]'s analysis above.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
so u'd rather 1 point v SCC and 1 vs a top side, than 0 vs SCC and 3 vs a top side, because it deprives a rival of the 3 points? No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here