Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX expansion - there must be a plan hidden away somewhere......

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Has anyone been on a stadium tour lately? I am sure they would explain all about it!

Me: what plans are there for expansion?
Tour guide: we've been asked not to talk about them.
Me: not even to ST holders?
Tour guide: especially them. Apparently, the higher-ups don't want rumours on social media sites.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If we drop back down to the Championship next year we're likely to be playing in front of 20,000 for a bit, I reckon, certainly if we stay there for a few seasons. Imagine that in a 40K stadium.

Its possible but not very likely. For that to happen we'd have to have a precipitous drop of 6 or 7K in season ticket renewals in March well before the outcome of the season is known, and for none of the current 5K waiting list happy to step up.
And 20K is possible i guess but no real evidence to suggest it will happen. Aside from Y1, then average crowds in the Champ have been in the 25-28K box not 20K so unless a Prem relegation is followed by a Wigan/Bolton/Blackburn drop further downwards into L1 and even then unlikely.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we stick in the top league could we not sell 40-45,000 for the big games?

QUOTE]

No, wouldn't of thought so.

BHA fans have always flocked when the team is winning. In our best 2 seasons pretty much ever 30,750 capacity has been about spot on with only a handful of sell outs.

Unless we are winning week in week out in the Prem then I just don't think we need it bigger. Nothing worse than a stadium with 10k + empty seats.

I did used to think that 20k was more than big enough for us though so what do I know

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I still think they pitched it about right. We had many games whilst doing really well last year where we couldn't sell out. If many of the 5,000 or 10,000 after tickets are there to cheer on their 2nd team then tough .

We had 10 games out of 23 that sold out last season and near capacity for many of the rest. This season likely to be a sell out or near capacity throughout. Unlikely tickets will ever go on general sale.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We had 10 games out of 23 that sold out last season and near capacity for many of the rest. This season likely to be a sell out or near capacity throughout. Unlikely tickets will ever go on general sale.

The majority of those 'sell outs' I would guess were towards the business end of the season. I still feel that our week in week out saturation point is about right, acid tests in games v 'Udders, Watford, Burnley et al.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The majority of those 'sell outs' I would guess were towards the business end of the season. I still feel that our week in week out saturation point is about right, acid tests in games v 'Udders, Watford, Burnley et al.

Maybe it's about right, for now. The club has many plans in motion to increase our supporter base coupled with it growing organically.

el punal

Thanks, I can't wait to join you.
24195e895ac2270850b89c3b9baed24a.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I bet he's got Vennegoor of Hesselink on the back of his shirt.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They could probaly add 1 or 2 rows around the pitch which would mean lowering the pitch level so could add a 1000 or so, but it makes sense to have a packed out stadium and anyone who can't get a ticket has the luxury of watching from home or in a pub.

Other than that they would have had to have included hydrolic jacks around the structure of the Amex to raise the East Stand to the height of the West Stand.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

They were sell outs. - they sold all the tickets. There weren't any more left. They weren't "sell outs" .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whether or not the ground can be expanded, the big stumbling block must be whether the transport links can be expanded. Can they? Even if they put in an extra platform at Falmer station, could the track capacity between Lewes and Brighton handle any more trains? - I doubt it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whether or not the ground can be expanded, the big stumbling block must be whether the transport links can be expanded. Can they? Even if they put in an extra platform at Falmer station, could the track capacity between Lewes and Brighton handle any more trains? - I doubt it.

This, as someone already pointed out is the big stumbling block. Doesn't matter if we could expand to 60k, if we have no infrastructure the whole project comes tumbling down.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If we stick in the top league could we not sell 40-45,000 for the big games?

QUOTE]

No, wouldn't of thought so.

BHA fans have always flocked when the team is winning. In our best 2 seasons pretty much ever 30,750 capacity has been about spot on with only a handful of sell outs.

Unless we are winning week in week out in the Prem then I just don't think we need it bigger. Nothing worse than a stadium with 10k + empty seats.

I did used to think that 20k was more than big enough for us though so what do I know

Ah yes, but that was long before football became what it is today. Families flock to the AMEX now and demand is much higher than the glory years of the late 70s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here