Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX expansion - there must be a plan hidden away somewhere......

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I could well imagine the NE corner having a corporate box, it’s the only corner that hasn’t been developed yet and would really finish off the inside of the stadium.

Also the people in the offices behind the north stand, where the old TV studio is, have been told they will move out in April as the club are using the space "for commercial purposes" which sounds like another lounge of some sort.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There is more growth to be had by tapping into US and Asian markets, for example, than an extra 10k at games.

So you're saying we should sign a Chinese wonderkid. Throw in one from Indonesia and one from Vietnam too and we've got almost 2 billion fans.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Paul Barber said at the last forum that he and TB are always asking Martin Perry if there is a way of squeezing a few extra seats in but any large-scale expansion would require something radical to be done about transport.

That's a huge hint that we are going to get a monorail and then expand to 50,000.
I expect work to start this summer.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We could see pockets of additional seating installed and maybe a few lounges/restaurants, but there isn't the space for general admission seating with concourses and the other required infrastructure. In order to break the 40,000 barrier we would have to add height which despite the significant building cost would also change the look and design of the stadium and mean that sections would be unusable for 12 months or so as they build it.

The real question is do they have any hidden plans for a new 50,000+ seater stadium.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Paul Barber said at the last forum that he and TB are always asking Martin Perry if there is a way of squeezing a few extra seats in but any large-scale expansion would require something radical to be done about transport.

A fantastic underground loop track with driverless trains taking fans back to Brighton Station! [emoji106]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I could well imagine the NE corner having a corporate box, it’s the only corner that hasn’t been developed yet and would really finish off the inside of the stadium.

The NE corner has a large platform for wheelchairs. Not all disabled people want to sit at pitch level.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hopefully we can stay up this year and truly establish ourselves as a Premier League club for years to come.

However we are only 13th in the attendance league table. If we stay in the top division, we will get to the point where we could fill a 40,000 seater stadium. We could even be there already.

I do wonder, and hope, that there are plans to expand the Amex.

Hasn't the club's response on this matter, been that if they add ?thousand? seats, say taking it up to 40/45000.
Then if, and a massive if we are relegated, it'll be difficult to fill the stadium, given the drop in league status.

el punal

True, like Southampton, but their catchment is just Southampton, Eastleigh, Winchester, Totton, and I expect they pinch fans from Portsmouths's Fareham patch during the latter club's wildnerness years.

We have the whole of Sussex, except say Crawley, East Grinstead, Bognor and Chichester. That's 1.4 million.

But it all depends whether we can stay up next season. So very hard to get there.

Pardon me for disagreeing with you. Southampton’s catchment area is rather larger than you describe, it goes as far as, and includes, Bournemouth and the New Forest, Salisbury area and certainly bits of north Hampshire. Anything east of Fareham is definitely Pompey, who have their own little enclave to Chichester and Bognor and north to Petersfield. Don’t expect ANY Portsmouth fans to swop allegiance any time soon regardless of wilderness or general shitty-ness.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The NE corner has a large platform for wheelchairs. Not all disabled people want to sit at pitch level.

I'm certain that if the club thought they could get and sell out another hospitality lounge in that area then those supporters would be relocated. 1 possible solution could be a disabled shelf in the west upper similar to the east upper, particularly if they can sell 200+ corporate seats

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I always thought that the East stand was built in a way that makes it reasonably easy to put another tier in to match the west stand.
I know that the stadium had to be designed in a certain way to enable us to build it, but would it have made any difference to anybody if the east matched the west from the start.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The BHA Community Stadium (Amex) is a wonderfully atmospheric stadium and it can only be tinkered with. If we stay in the PL for 5-10 years and ever get anywhere near European football then TB will probably convince the powers that be to let him build a 50000 stadium in the adjacent field.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Given the recent digital enhancements surely we'll just digitally display matches at other stadiums, so Brighton games will be shown at your local ground, Arundel could squeeze in 2,000, I'm sure other towns could follow this?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I always thought that the East stand was built in a way that makes it reasonably easy to put another tier in to match the west stand.
I know that the stadium had to be designed in a certain way to enable us to build it, but would it have made any difference to anybody if the east matched the west from the start.

My understanding after going on a hard-hat tour during construction was that the east and west roofs counterbalance each other and that you couldn’t remove one without having to remove the other.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My understanding after going on a hard-hat tour during construction was that the east and west roofs counterbalance each other and that you couldn’t remove one without having to remove the other.[/QUOTE

So the answer to a simpleton on such matters would surely be to remove and replace both if they counter balance each other.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My understanding after going on a hard-hat tour during construction was that the east and west roofs counterbalance each other and that you couldn’t remove one without having to remove the other.

So the answer to a simpleton on such matters would surely be to remove and rep[lace both if they counter balance each other.

Genius BG

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
E
My understanding after going on a hard-hat tour during construction was that the east and west roofs counterbalance each other and that you couldn’t remove one without having to remove the other.[/QUOTE

So the answer to a simpleton on such matters would surely be to remove and rep[lace both if they counter balance each other.

The roof trusses are anchored in big concrete blocks behind both ends so all of that would have to come out too, I believe. The calculations of the expense versus the extra income and factoring in the likely impact on gates of possible relegation might make it a non-starter. But I’m not an engineer.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No. I am saying if the club is going to spend money expanding its supporter base , paying millions for a fee thousand extra seats is not cost effective. Investing in marketing the club in other huge potential markets will gain many more fans and money!

I understood what you were saying :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here