Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX expansion - there must be a plan hidden away somewhere......

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Above and behind the North has scope for something in the same style as has been done to the South. The North East corner has possibility for some corporate bboxes or something similar to the north west shelf. Disabled fans would need to keep their access to the area. Maybe this could add 500 to 700 extra seats max but I guess this would mean consent from council regarding transport and I guess the cost per seat would just not make it viable?

My hunch is nothing will happen apart from maybe extra hospitality areas if demand is high enough.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
E
The roof trusses are anchored in big concrete blocks behind both ends so all of that would have to come out too, I believe. The calculations of the expense versus the extra income and factoring in the likely impact on gates of possible relegation might make it a non-starter. But I’m not an engineer.

That's true. All made plain by the club during construction.

The roof trusses are anchored into 1000's of tonnes of concrete, effectively underground.

The cost to dismantle and start all over again would cost many £10m's, all to add a few thousand seats.

Plus BHCC would obsess with the transport plan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
E

That's true. All made plain by the club during construction.

The roof trusses are anchored into 1000's of tonnes of concrete, effectively underground.

The cost to dismantle and start all over again would cost many £10m's, all to add a few thousand seats.

Plus BHCC would obsess with the transport plan.

30,000 is plenty enough. We can see the sort of clientel that materialises with a 'big' stadium by looking at the return of the bald head fat necks at Wet Sham in their Olympic largesse. I saw a few of our returnees in West Upper last season, looking ferrety and out of place. Not pretty, certainly pink, but robustly un-fairy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
30,000 is plenty enough. We can see the sort of clientel that materialises with a 'big' stadium by looking at the return of the bald head fat necks at Wet Sham in their Olympic largesse. I saw a few of our returnees in West Upper last season, looking ferrety and out of place. Not pretty, certainly pink, but robustly un-fairy.

I think gate receipts in the Premier League are not worth spending millions to expand, when you take into account how many millions we get every year as Premier League club. Also can you imagine the carnage of another 10,000 people post match.

30k is plenty unless we establish ourselves as one of the top six imo. We will never justify the need for more than 30k in the Championship or below.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Surely the only way to increase capacity significantly would be to do a Spurs and do total rebuild. So where we we relocate too whilst that happens? Withdean? Leave as it is as we are not guaranteed Premeir survival and 30000 seats are fine if we were to go down, which I hope we do not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
30,750 is fine - I'd rather have that than rattle around a 40k ground.

Maybe we could get another 500 or 1000+ seats in there somehow with a bit of ingenuity, possibly by doing something with the North Stand, but that'll surely be it.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
30,750 is fine - I'd rather have that than rattle around a 40k ground.

Agreed. Empty seats are SO negative by their very existence... They look awful.

As we are is just fine. If we become an established PL side who look like being a permanent fixture, then maybe in 5-10 years have another look. For now, 30,750 is perfect.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
a few thoughts.

Given that we have 8000 on the waiting list and there is still plenty of potential to grow our support base, i'd say another 10000 seats would be desirable. I think we could fill them for most games if we pull the stops out with advertising, marketing etc.

The logistics of doing this would be utterly mindbending though. It would surely take more than one close season meaning lots of disruption and parts of the ground being closed during the season, potentially affected ST holders may not be able to attend games for a period of time.

Financially, I do think it's do-able, (but only due to the crazy crazy world of PL finance).

Agree with whoever said that surely the easiest way is to refine and improve the ticket exchange. I can't remember the last game where I couldn't see empty seats

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
How’s about less commodious seats, being closer to your neighbour, or safe standing areas with more snug accommodations?
There’s an extra few thousand.

Or what about “hot seating” to allow half and half seating so as one fan leaves on ,say, 63 minutes , another full paying fan is let in?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Maybe somebody will find the component parts of the Lego Stand mouldering away in a lock-up somewhere in deepest darkest Hove (along with the cup final money in bin bags underneath it!) Surely we could tuck it in a corner somewhere!

They could put it in the bus park and use it for away fans. The view would still be better than at Everton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How’s about less commodious seats, being closer to your neighbour, or safe standing areas with more snug accommodations?
There’s an extra few thousand.

Or what about “hot seating” to allow half and half seating so as one fan leaves on ,say, 63 minutes , another full paying fan is let in?

Can't be done due to safety rules about the maximum number of seats between aisles, the number of seating area exits ( for non pitch level areas ), and the number of concourse exits.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here