Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People using the word "narrative".......

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Theres a couple of people on NSC that seem to use the word 'narrative' quite regularly. Think it superceded 'agenda'. There will be a new 'in' word for them soon I guess to keep things fresh.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
"It is what it is"

Workplace equivalent of "I have nothing intelligent to add at this point but feel compelled to say something anyway"

Funny enough that's what my boss says every time I ask for a pay review ..... WTF????

I'd like to add ..... MINDFULNESS what's that all about?

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
"play the game" when referring to having to do something at work that doesn't make sense and you fundamentally don't agree with.

paradigm is another one that makes me puke in my mouth a little bit.

but by far the worst is anyone who describes themselves as having gravitas.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"binary" is a seemingly popular addition since we last did this thread

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
When describing a conversation:

He goes/she goes... and then they went....

They didn't chuffing GO anywhere you idiot(s).

Also should probably merge this thread with Bell cheeses at work one.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I speak regularly to a 'recruitment facilitator'. Whenever she speaks to me her first words are: 'Hi there, just reaching out to you on this opportunity.......' Email, call but please don't reach out to me!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Working with people in India via business skype means I sometimes have no clue what they are talking about.
Was asked recently to 'gather the artifacts and do the needful'.

Basically, they wanted me to gather all the information and raise a problem ticket.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Working with people in India via business skype means I sometimes have no clue what they are talking about.
Was asked recently to 'gather the artifacts and do the needful'.

Basically, they wanted me to gather all the information and raise a problem ticket.

Do the needful is such an Indianism. My old job included running a team in Bangalore remotely and that seemed to be the cornerstone of their English capability.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolutely this. I was in Denmark a couple of months ago, and they've taken that Americanism and are feverishly running with it. Super excited, Super happy, Super pleased, you name it...

Man, sticious and unleaded are the only three words super should be in front of.

My biggest arse-itch is "Telcon" - short for telephone conversation. "Yah, yah, lets have a telcon about that, yah. Tomorrow, yah? Midday. Yah, good. I'm super excited...". :shootself

I have never heard anyone use this but it is annoying me already. Going to punch the first person i hear say it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"Let's do some Blue sky thinking"

Why not say 'anyone got any ideas?' instead?!!! What's wrong with that? Honestly people talk such utter shit in such industrial quantities that everyone, even those of us who battle this bullshit on a daily basis are infected by and say 'going forward' when we drop our guard. It's like fighting the tide. It's so widespread that millions aren't even aware they're saying. And the very worst are so far gone they look at you as if you're the idiot when you ask them to refrain from talking such utter bollocks!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone who calls Egg Benedict "Benny Eggs" should be exterminated. And Tommy K as well.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Journey gets used everywhere not just at work and should only be used in the context of transportation, not to describe your "journey in giving up smoking" FFS.

Oh and perfect is another one that seems to be used in marketing / advertising "Your perfect holiday", I even heard an advert suggesting "you could find your perfect second hand car".

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The old ones are the best :thumbsup:

'We had a fire drill at work today, and I was asked what steps I would take if there was a fire. Apparently, bloody big ones wasnt the correct answer'

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
"Another day, another dollar" really gets on my man boobs. They better pay me in sterling, or the fan will get mucky

I hate that phrase and have a counter: 'Another shift another shilling'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here