Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People using the word "narrative".......

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Absolutely this. I was in Denmark a couple of months ago, and they've taken that Americanism and are feverishly running with it. Super excited, Super happy, Super pleased, you name it...

Man, sticious and unleaded are the only three words super should be in front of.

My biggest arse-itch is "Telcon" - short for telephone conversation. "Yah, yah, lets have a telcon about that, yah. Tomorrow, yah? Midday. Yah, good. I'm super excited...". :shootself

intendent? cilious?

I could go on on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you all know I’m a pedant, and personally speaking I’m super passionate about things being accurate. Is it annoying? Absolutely, but to be honest I don’t care. Accuracy is an emotional thing for me and I want to be transparent about my reasons. I choose my own path through life, I don’t follow your narrative.

Can I get a hell yeah?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It's been mentioned on NSC before, but the ever increasing use of the phrase 'get-go' is really pissing me off. It's 'start' you feckers!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
'Reach out to' someone, meaning contact them

Giving someone a 'heads up', meaning letting them know.

'Deliver' (or even worse 'deliver on', which doesn't even make sense), in any context other than groceries or parcels. Some people make it even worse and start talking about 'deliverables' (by which they seem to mean aims or objectives or somethign). A letter is deliverable, but it's not 'a' deliverable.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
'Reach out to' someone, meaning contact them

Giving someone a 'heads up', meaning letting them know.

'Deliver' (or even worse 'deliver on', which doesn't even make sense), in any context other than groceries or parcels. Some people make it even worse and start talking about 'deliverables' (by which they seem to mean aims or objectives or somethign). A letter is deliverable, but it's not 'a' deliverable.

Never work for an American financial institution, you would explode.. I worked for one for 3 years and if I had a Euro every time I heard one of those phrases, I could happily retire..

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
'The fact of the matter is' followed by an opinion, not a fact.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Never work for an American financial institution, you would explode.. I worked for one for 3 years and if I had a Euro every time I heard one of those phrases, I could happily retire..

It always amazes me just how many words an American can say, without actually saying anything. It's like they have a daily word quota which has to be fulfilled.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think we should take this offline...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs May has had and seems to be full of crap like this. " Getting on with the job of running the country " is the most recent of these banal mantras.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It always amazes me just how many words an American can say, without actually saying anything. It's like they have a daily word quota which has to be fulfilled.

A snippet of an American girl on the phone.

'I was like wow, and he was like, you know, and I was like yeah, and he was like really, and I was like yeah really, and he was like wow.'

Actually asked this girl to stfu on a tram. Im English, so I did say please.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A snippet of an American girl on the phone.

'I was like wow, and he was like, you know, and I was like yeah, and he was like really, and I was like yeah really, and he was like wow.'

Actually asked this girl to stfu on a tram. Im English, so I did say please.

That wouldn't work unless you tell her to LIKE stfu.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here