Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Selling house

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
Any estate agents on here??
We are trying to sell our house, the trouble is all the feedback is the same.... "really like the house, don't like the road"
It's in a cul-de-sac with the village hall in the corner & the houses are mostly housing association.... there is no trouble & is generally quiet, but people just see it as an estate!!
Is there anything we can do ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Why don't you try using the private selling route or something like Purple Bricks. Get a few free valuations then market it via the usual channels eg Right Move. If it sells all well and good with minimal cost. If you don't swing your bat, you can't score any runs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lower the price a bit. what ever the problem with selling a house, the right price will resolve it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are trying to sell our house, the trouble is all the feedback is the same.... "really like the house, don't like the road"
It's in a cul-de-sac with the village hall in the corner & the houses are mostly housing association.... there is no trouble & is generally quiet, but people just see it as an estate!!

Advertise it in The Guardian. They're readers are less snobby types who don't mind hanging out with poor people.

(Joke)

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I think the property market slowed down in the run up to the election, I think in a few weeks all those that had been thinking about it and delaying to see the outcome will be on the market and it will pick up. Depending how long you've been on the market I'd stick at your asking price if its realistic and wait a while (if you've got time).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I work in property. My advice get a decent local pref independent well established estate agent round to value and advise. Online agents are always clueless don't know the local area, don't have local contacts and don't have a large database of buyers. They also have no idea how to chain chase and make sure u achieve the best price, mainly cos like an idiot you have paid them hundreds of pounds upfront and they have no incentive!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Why don't you try using the private selling route or something like Purple Bricks. Get a few free valuations then market it via the usual channels eg Right Move. If it sells all well and good with minimal cost. If you don't swing your bat, you can't score any runs.

I'd say quite the opposite TBH - Use a local agent who knows the area and knows the type of people searching in the area. That said, it's kind of odd that people are getting as far as a viewing and then saying that they don't like the area. As [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] has said though, the price is usually the problem....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Price. How many valuations have you had? Some estate agents are too eager to please the seller with a high valuation to get the exclusive sale, then the property doesn't sell. If you're not even getting a cheeky offer at below the asking price, then it might suggest it is on too high. Afterall, it is location location location.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd say quite the opposite TBH - Use a local agent who knows the area and knows the type of people searching in the area. That said, it's kind of odd that people are getting as far as a viewing and then saying that they don't like the area. As [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] has said though, the price is usually the problem....

Agree with this, you get some upstart from Foxes who don't really know what they're doing, whereas a well established local estate agent will, or at least should earn their fee, not just in the sale, but through the whole process of nursing the transaction through, chasing solicitors / other agents if there is a chain etc.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know estate agents get a bad rap but they are well worth the money imo. A local independent agent will be best and some in this area are charging as little as 0.75%. 1% is still a very fair rate when you think about it. Real Estate Agents in the USA can charge 6%

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Or use several local agents to give you a rough idea on price?

Am personally aware of several sales done without any agent involved other than providing valuations.

If a property has a buyer out there, they will be found via the likes of Right Move in my experience. Most people when looking will use such media as a first port of call, rather than pop in the local estate agent and sign up on a mailing list.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Three things are what property selling is all about........

The property! Can change it or alter it, but only before the selling process. So if selling now, it is what it is.

Location - End, cannot change.

Price - At the point of selling, this is the only thing you can control.

PS Tidy the garden, keep the interior immaculate, etc ........

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sorry to be blunt but you're on for too much money.

If you've had a good number of viewings and they're all buying other properties that are on for approx the same money it is because yours doesn't offer as much as those so it is too much money.

Take any feedback with a pinch of salt, we're british and polite so make easy excuses why we don't go for a property. The truth is that person just doesn't like the house as much as other houses for the same price. It is the same principle as retail, if your stock isn't selling, you drop the price.

Whatever happens, do not use Purplebricks and the like to sell your house though. Their after sale service is diabolical and they have absolutely no motivation to sell it in the first place and even if they do, you won't get the best price.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

But if it doesn't sell, which it probably won't, you're approx £1,000 worse off for nothing. Steer well clear.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Can't stand the like of Purple Bricks either.

How many viewings have you had? It likely is down to price if you want a fast or even medium speed sale but if you're not in a hurry then at least you're getting viewings and could if you really wanted just wait for that one person who likes it enough. You only need 1 buyer. The long wait and extra work/hassle could 'cost' you more though. Would also depend if you are upsizing or downsizing as to how a wait would have a knock on effect on next purchase. For most people the drop the price advise is spot on but just pointing out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here