Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I woke up this morning excited as it's fixtures day and England v Pakistan in the ICC semi final.

Now I couldn't care less .Turned on the TV for the news and watched in horror. Heard about a baby being held out of the window, people jumping, people flashing their mobile lights and then their flats being engulfed.

Life is just too precious, too fragile. Reading that blog report was shocking and someone needs to be brought to justice. Sick to the stomach.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

That is incredibly and brutally prophetic. Sadly tower blocks built in the 60's, 70's and 80's do not/cannot conform to modern fire safety standards. I lived on the 17th floor of a tower block in Bermondsey for a couple of years in the 90's and it was a terrifying experience. There were a couple of minor fires on lower floors and I still retain the memory of trying to get out of the building down the stairs through thick acrid smoke and not knowing the extent of the fire or whether I could get enough air in my lungs to get me through the smoke . Those poor people killed or trapped in that inferno.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Below shows how fire can spread around the external envelope rapidly (left hand side). If everything is done properly then the scenario would be more like the right hand side. Obviously this is not the time for an inquest - I just hope the residents and emergency services get out safe - but my gut feeling, particularly knowing this industry, is that short cuts have been taken.

View attachment 86321

That is horrific

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Awful news. What a terrible tragedy.

If it is shown that the management company &/or Council have been negligent in the way that the Action Group allege, I sincerely hope that a number of senior executives/officials get banged up for a long time. The stuff that the Action Group allege is horrific. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but a big investigation is incoming. They're going to need to get lawyered up.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I woke up this morning excited as it's fixtures day and England v Pakistan in the ICC semi final.

Now I couldn't care less .Turned on the TV for the news and watched in horror. Heard about a baby being held out of the window, people jumping, people flashing their mobile lights and then their flats being engulfed.

Life is just too precious, too fragile. Reading that blog report was shocking and someone needs to be brought to justice. Sick to the stomach.

You are so right, makes the fixtures list everyone so excited about seem totally irrelevant, just too awful.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just walked past - utterly horrific.

Surreal site of burning black edifice against a clear blue sky with the sun shining on it.

Horrible.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Words fail me as to how this could have happened. Those poor families and firefighters. My heart goes out to them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Grim news.

Horrible scenes, my thoughts are with the victims.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
If anyone's up that way ...
2bfb335efe8ee080144e9710470444b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Those who've survived have lost their homes, with everything in them. Clothes, furniture, food, photos, toys, the lot. Devastating.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Those who've survived have lost their homes, with everything in them. Clothes, furniture, food, photos, toys, the lot. Devastating.

If I'd been lucky enough to get out of that with my family all safe, I'd not give a single thought about any of those things. they are the very lucky ones.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Yes, although safety is the ultimate priority there will be hundreds of people in desperate need of help. Luckily in this day and age the Internet generally comes good and I'm sure a Just Giving page or similar will be started to help these unfortunate people.

Edit: A few up and running already.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Horrible stories emerging. Anyone hear piers Morgan absolutely crucify the director of the company that fitted the cladding.....he didn't even know to what level of testing had happened on the cladding and what level of fire certificate had been issued. He wasn't getting really flustered and eventually after a " you are a ****ing disgrace " moment the line went dead.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here