Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I'm certainly no fan of May,in fact I hope her next turd is a hedgehog but perhaps She has had some very real security advice from Her protection detail?It would be very unwise for a serving Prime Minister to rock up in Shepards Bush and start hugging people.
Unfortunately these situations bring about the perfect scenario for the opportunist to make a headline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Fair enough.

At least we have some consistencies in life, and The Sun lowering its (already low) standards in order to get a story on the tragedy is one of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/sun-journalist-grenfell-tower-victim-hospital?CMP=share_btn_tw

But when you read that article, the Sun haven't done anything wrong? Too late though, the Guardian has written their headline and damned their rival. People only read the headline and opening text...but if you read the entire article you get a different take.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm certainly no fan of May,in fact I hope her next turd is a hedgehog but perhaps She has had some very real security advice from Her protection detail?It would be very unwise for a serving Prime Minister to rock up in Shepards Bush and start hugging people.
Unfortunately these situations bring about the perfect scenario for the opportunist to make a headline.

So poetically put! I'm LOL at that hedgehog comment. That's tickled me, thank you!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I wrote on another thread just last night that if Theresa May visited people in hospital she would be criticised. And you've just done it. Then followed up with "not trying to score political points". Incredible.

I'm out of these threads. The tragedy is depressing enough, without the way some people carry on about it afterwards.

mmm...

It's been noted by ex politicians too from her party. Not heartless - just badly advised.

You'd expect the PM to visit something like this in London and take the flak.

Since the Queen and Mayor have been (and seen to be there) her absence was noted.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

The Queen managed to meet the victims and local people, why can't May?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But when you read that article, the Sun haven't done anything wrong? Too late though, the Guardian has written their headline and damned their rival. People only read the headline and opening text...but if you read the entire article you get a different take.

The Sun have denied the accusation, Kings College hospital have said they intend to lodge a complaint.

I don't think The Guardian and The Sun are rivals though?

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Was just going to make the same point in response to Baker lite - if the Queen can manage it, and Jeremy Corbyn, then so can Terry May

The real issue is that, as we saw in the election, she dislikes that aspect of leadership and is rubbish at it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Sun have denied the accusation, Kings College hospital have said they intend to lodge a complaint.

I don't think The Guardian and The Sun are rivals though?

I mean as in they're news outlets, they'll be no love loss between either.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Meanwhile, among the politically motivated bickering, the official death toll has increased to 30, and is expected to rise further with 76 people still reported as 'missing'. :nono:.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Again cross posted from another thread but Nick Paget-Brown's (leader of the Tory council that outsourced building management) interview on C4 yesterday was telling for a number of reasons.

https://www.channel4.com/news/interview-nick-paget-brown-leader-of-kensington-and-chelsea-council

At 1.15 Snow says "disaster of catastrophic proportions.....it's clearly man made". Nick Paget-Brown replies "I'm afraid that is correct".

Snow then asks for a guarantee that the building won't be replaced by housing for rich people. Padget-Brown has the option to say "No it won't and I think that's disgusting given it's still burning". Instead he alludes to that very briefly, without giving the guarantee. He then talks about the money spent on the refurb while admitting that the refurbishment accelerated the fire, before back tracking to say "appears".

I had contact with Padget-Brown many years ago in a professional capacity when he was working in sales. I don't often actively dislike people at a first meeting but such was his arrogance that he made an impression on me that lasted almost 30 years. In a subsequent interview he says the residents preferred not to have the disruption of having the sprinklers installed and wanted other work on water supply etc. done instead. As if basic safety should ever be optional and implying that they are in some ways to blame..

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

You are quite right,but she was swarmed by Her protection detail and met selected members of the emergency services and volunteers at the leisure centre,she certainly wasn't like the people's politician Jezza in dishing out free hugs,there was some halfwit toward the end of her visit shouting "Queen,QUEEN?come and see Me,come and see Me,Send Harry to come and see Me"
A huge worry for the close protection guys these sort of situations.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Meanwhile, among the politically motivated bickering, the official death toll has increased to 30, and is expected to rise further with 76 people still reported as 'missing'. :nono:.

Unfortunately it's very difficult to remove the politics from this one.

Social housing supplied by the state in times where there is a huge shortage in London.

A local community devastated with a background of complaining for years about the fire risks in the block.

Sorry - it's always gonna be political this one and the locals will be asking for "political" answers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It's perhaps naive that's all. We live in an age where you must demonstrably be shown to be doing something or it hasn't happened, even if it has. What May should have done is put Brexit on hold while she made sandwiches and moved boxes of water as part of the relief. Being Tory supporters she'd have been welcomed by the local community. Besides, she's got the freedom to do this, security isn't a problem in the UK right now. Also she should have openly wept or stand accused of being an ice Maiden. Those pictures should however be sensored and not shown to those who might interpret her as weak and needing to 'get a grip' or asking 'why is she not focused on Brexit/ why is she acting like one of the local volunteers, she's got better things to be doing if she's our PM...'

Damn her, the heartless inhuman self serving elitist robot...who just won a general election...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
mmm...

It's been noted by ex politicians too from her party. Not heartless - just badly advised.

You'd expect the PM to visit something like this in London and take the flak.

Since the Queen and Mayor have been (and seen to be there) her absence was noted.

Drawn back in my email notifications...

I'm talking specifically about her visit today to those hospitalised by the fire (NOT yesterday's visit to the firefighters / non-visit to residents).

I wrote last night, jokingly, that if she visited people in hospital she would be criticised. She has been to hospital today and someone here has criticised her for it. My point last night that whatever she does it won't be enough for some and they will pick and find fault. Whether that's because they can't abide Theresa May and all she represents, or it's simple political point scoring is neither here nor there.

Some are just so blinkered they will have a go regardless, and they won't let the sensitivities of a tragedy like this get in their way. And yes, there are absolutely some on the right who will do the same to Jeremy Corbyn.

Should she have visited residents yesterday and taken the abuse on the chin? Of course she bloody should. But again - this wasn't about that.

I'm no fan of Theresa May but what a few weeks she's had. Not only has she had the stresses of a general election campaign - something that politicians of all sides describe as incredibly draining, but there have been two horrific terrorist attacks on the country. There has now been this dreadful fire and such is the way of our polarised politics that pretty much everything she does is torn to shreds in some quarters.

She's being criticised for not having formed a government yet, for not being prepared for Brexit negotiations and not spending more time with those hit by a tragedy. I can't imagine she's getting too much sleep either. It's not a job I'd want, certainly for the relatively poor pay.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
After the dreadfully Grenfill Tower fire when the Mayor of London, leader of the opposition and HM Queen at 91 years of age can come to meet some of those affected and as in the case of the Mayor prepared to face some tough questions but Mrs May cannot or will not is truly shameful, at best Mrs May is showing a total lack of empathy and at worst its heartless

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I mean as in they're news outlets, they'll be no love loss between either.

You'll note that The Guardian use the TABLOID tactic of putting the (refuted) CLAIM in single quotes in the headline to make it look like a FACT.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I'm talking specifically about her visit today to those hospitalised by the fire (NOT yesterday's visit to the firefighters / non-visit to residents).

I wrote last night, jokingly, that if she visited people in hospital she would be criticised. She has been to hospital today and someone here has criticised her for it. My point last night that whatever she does it won't be enough for some and they will pick and find fault.

Bozza think how would David Cameron or Tony Blair or for that matter Mrs Thatcher have dealt with this I am sure they would have all been to meet individuals to show empathy, solidarity but not Mrs May more than this I could imagine Mrs Thatchers government sending the army out engineers to build temporary accommodation on any spare land within the bourough of Kensington

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
After the dreadfully Grenfill Tower fire when the Mayor of London, leader of the opposition and HM Queen at 91 years of age can come to meet some of those affected and as in the case of the Mayor prepared to face some tough questions but Mrs May cannot or will not is truly shameful, at best Mrs May is showing a total lack of empathy and at worst its heartless

This really is tiresome... she visited the emergency services on site yesterday and victims in hospital this morning... in the meantime, she is trying to form a government, write a Queen's Speech, begin Brexit negotiations, and manage the government's response to this current disaster and the recent terrorist attacks. But you carry on attacking her... it is really helpful.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I wrote last night, jokingly, that if she visited people in hospital she would be criticised. She has been to hospital today and someone here has criticised her for it. My point last night that whatever she does it won't be enough for some and they will pick and find fault. Whether that's because they can't abide Theresa May and all she represents, or it's simple political point scoring is neither here nor there.

Some are just so blinkered they will have a go regardless, and they won't let the sensitivities of a tragedy like this get in their way. And yes, there are absolutely some on the right who will do the same to Jeremy Corbyn.

Should she have visited residents yesterday and taken the abuse on the chin? Of course she bloody should. But again - this wasn't about that.

I'm no fan of Theresa May but what a few weeks she's had. Not only has she had the stresses of a general election campaign - something that politicians of all sides describe as incredibly draining, but there have been two horrific terrorist attacks on the country. There has now been this dreadful fire and such is the way of our polarised politics that pretty much everything she does is torn to shreds in some quarters.

She's being criticised for not having formed a government yet, for not being prepared for Brexit negotiations and not spending more time with those hit by a tragedy. I can't imagine she's getting too much sleep either. It's not a job I'd want, certainly for the relatively poor pay.

Fair post.

Just because you joked about it last night and it's happened does not mean I can't take the view the PM is not acting in the appropriate manner, though. But that's just my bullshit blinkered opinion (this is not meant to be sarcastic) and I'm aware that my opinion is totally incorrect on occasion.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
This really is tiresome... she visited the emergency services on site yesterday and victims in hospital this morning... in the meantime, she is trying to form a government, write a Queen's Speech, begin Brexit negotiations, and manage the government's response to this current disaster and the recent terrorist attacks. But you carry on attacking her... it is really helpful.

It is because it's the truth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here