Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How is she making things worse?

I saw the interview and rather wanted her to shut up. There are folk out there still clinging to hope and will come to terms only when they are able. The media are being careful in their approach to this although no-one is doubting there will be some horrible figures coming.

She used the interview to make a political attack and form some chasm between rich and poor. It makes things no better to aggressively push a wider debate when emotions are running so high.

At best she was insensitive at worst stirring up tensions and worse.

I rally against inequality, and want answers, but not in a chaotic and conflictual way. But the wider debate will be heard.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Clueless yourself. Why doesn't the later statement mention insulation but only the appearance?

because its a pithy comment from a councillor for the local paper "doesn't it look nice". if you read anything you'd find that the purpose of the cladding is for insulation, with a nice shiney outside to make it look nice too, 1970's tower looks all modern.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
because its a pithy comment from a councillor for the local paper "doesn't it look nice". if you read anything you'd find that the purpose of the cladding is for insulation, with a nice shiney outside to make it look nice too, 1970's tower looks all modern.

We'll have to see.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to bow out of this exchange, it's not the time or place. You just go ahead and jump to whatever conclusions you like.

Whatever.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It seems that the aesthetics were more important than the insulation.

Whilst clearly the overall point that's being made is whether, as you say, aesthetics have been prioritised over safety, I do think there's been a rush by the media to suggest that the visual enhancements resulting from the refurbishment were done for the benefit of the rich residents of the posher neighbouring areas, so they didn't have to look at the ugly old tower block.

Surely any improvement to the way somewhere looks can be for the benefit of its occupants too? The less well off are just as capable of appreciating their surroundings as the filthy rich, and it's been shown previously that when people feel pride in their local area, then it generates other benefits, such as less anti-social behaviour and more of a community feel. There's no reason- assuming safety is NOT compromised- that those in low income areas should have to reside in tired, depressing, crumbling old relics.

As I've said, it's not the main point to be made out of all this tragedy (clearly), but that particular media angle has grated with me slightly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Whilst clearly the overall point that's being made is whether, as you say, aesthetics have been prioritised over safety, I do think there's been a rush by the media to suggest that the visual enhancements resulting from the refurbishment were done for the benefit of the rich residents of the posher neighbouring areas, so they didn't have to look at the ugly old tower block.

Surely any improvement to the way somewhere looks can be for the benefit of its occupants too? The less well off are just as capable of appreciating their surroundings as the filthy rich, and it's been shown previously that when people feel pride in their local area, then it generates other benefits, such as less anti-social behaviour and more of a community feel. There's no reason- assuming safety is NOT compromised- that those in low income areas should have to reside in tired, depressing, crumbling old relics.

As I've said, it's not the main point to be made out of all this tragedy (clearly), but that particular media angle has grated with me slightly.

It would grate with me if I didn't know the area so well. Of course it makes old buildings look better and cleaning up areas reduces crime.

But a few minutes walk away there are seriously expensive developments taking place. It is quickly morphing into a city centre with expensive residential to accompany it.

Now I live in a nice area of London. I'd argue nicer, but you don't need to pay that.

What I'm seeing is a re-engineering rather than a clean up. Bit like Brighton I guess but in a much shorter period.

I'd really hope there wasn't pressure to clean up the area because the millionaires are moving in. But very nearby 2/3 free bedroom apartments starting at a million pounds. Not a council initiative to improve the street lighting.

The kind millionaire investors look at.

Whilst down the road.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...on-cladding-banned-us-flammable-a7792711.html

Last edited:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

It's just got a funny smell about it. There is money to give the place a facelift (using the cheaper of available materials) but not to address the residents' safety concerns.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It wouldn't fill me with confidence if the emergency fire escape instructions was to hurl yourself, children and grand parents from 20 floors plus into a net. It's a Victorian solution not a 21st Century one.

It's a better solution than being burned or asphyxiated to death when there is no other way out.

The just let them die we can't do anything more to get them out safely is the Victorian solution.

I'd rather take my chance jumping into something than slowly wait to die because rescue is impossible.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

If in somewhere like Worthing I would agree, but being Kensington, I really feel the rich and afluent residents saw the whole tower block/estate as an eyesore, full of refugees & foreigners and used any means possible to have it cladded and more inline with the richer parts of the area. I'm fairly confident cosmetics came before insulation/safety in this case.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I work in cladding, particularly refurbishment of towers blocks. We actually looked at this job in 2014.

There is a piece of guidance - BR135 - which states the materials that should be used in the cladding zone on buildings over 18m. It often gets overlooked. If the correct products are used (and installed correctly) there is little risk of fire spreading like this.

question, why recommended over 18m? whats different about the lower metres?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

John Street Police Station looks much better now doesn't it since the cladding was attached!!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
question, why recommended over 18m? whats different about the lower metres?

As with an awful lot of regulation it has evolved over the years without perhaps being reviewed and updated accordingly.

From memory (don't quote me) 18m was the height to which a Firemans ladder would reach. It really is as simple as that.

Note - if a building is over 18m then non combustible materials should be used all the way to ground level, not just above 18m.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As with an awful lot of regulation it has evolved over the years without perhaps being reviewed and updated accordingly.

From memory (don't quote me) 18m was the height to which a Firemans ladder would reach. It really is as simple as that.

Note - if a building is over 18m then non combustible materials should be used all the way to ground level, not just above 18m.

And this is the bit I can't get my head around, whether it was for looks or not materials are just not made that would combust like that and if they were they would not be put on a high rise, with all the people involved there had to be at least one person that said you can't put that on there.
But it seems as if the total opposite is the case.
Kensington council leader seems to be blaming the residents about sprinklers this morning, this chap could be in a lot of trouble.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's a better solution than being burned or asphyxiated to death when there is no other way out.

The just let them die we can't do anything more to get them out safely is the Victorian solution.

I'd rather take my chance jumping into something than slowly wait to die because rescue is impossible.

I get your point but in reality it would be hard to implement. If the fire regs are updated and residents were told that a safety net system would added to all high rise blocks of flats I wouldn't be satisfied as a resident. It has to be sprinkler systems added and all substandard cladding taken down.

I've just heard that this cladding type is used in the US but not on high rised buildings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here