Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Posted on another thread - lives (or lived locally). Always seeing her in the shopping centre looking very un-celeb.

I have a charmed life don't live round there but work there/

There are some extremely poor bits being surrounded by some VERY expensive housing and the (further) development of the Westfield Centre.

It's feel like it's being cleansed. There is the huge development of the old Television Centre (now sold off) right next door to a large council estate.

Let's see what comes out of the inquiry - but if the motivation was to make that Tower look good rather than be safe, there are a number of questions to be asked.

She is also making a very very good point about the conflict of interest of elected individuals voting on Landlord matters who are in themselves Landlords or Developers.

.. watch the recent BBC documentary on the Lords - it's an eye opener.

Again cross posted from another thread but Nick Paget-Brown's (leader of the Tory council that outsourced building management) interview on C4 yesterday was telling for a number of reasons.

https://www.channel4.com/news/interview-nick-paget-brown-leader-of-kensington-and-chelsea-council

At 1.15 Snow says "disaster of catastrophic proportions.....it's clearly man made". Nick Paget-Brown replies "I'm afraid that is correct".

Snow then asks for a guarantee that the building won't be replaced by housing for rich people. Padget-Brown has the option to say "No it won't and I think that's disgusting given it's still burning". Instead he alludes to that very briefly, without giving the guarantee. He then talks about the money spent on the refurb while admitting that the refurbishment accelerated the fire, before back tracking to say "appears".

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not sure why it amuses you, bloke on the news tonight talking about it.

Where here does it say anything about insulation?

Rydon has completed the refurbishment to Grenfell Tower for Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO), upgrading the 24-storey 1970s building as part of a £67m borough-wide regeneration.

The £10m project included extensive remodelling of the bottom four floors creating nine additional new homes, improved communal facilities for the residents, and improved spaces for two local businesses. Externally, rain screen cladding, replacement windows and curtain wall façades have been fitted giving the building a fresher, modern look. All of the remodelling & refurbishment works were completed with residents still in occupation on the upper twenty floors.

Dale Youth Boxing Club, which has produced some of the UK’s best boxing talent including Olympic Gold medallist James DeGale and former European, British and Commonwealth super-middleweight champion George Groves, is based within Grenfell Tower. The work has provided the club with improved facilities that will hopefully produce many more champions of the future.

Grenfell Nursery was relocated to a larger and more convenient space on the ground floor next to a new outside play area.

Internally, a new, more efficient communal heating system and bespoke smoke extract and ventilation system were fitted. The works achieved a BREEAM Good rating and Rydon helped the client secure eco funding grants.

Cllr Nick Paget-Brown, the leader of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, visited the site in May and said:

It is remarkable to see first-hand how the cladding has lifted the external appearance of the tower and how the improvements inside people’s homes will make a big difference to their day-to-day lives”

“As well as this investment, in a relatively short space of time Grenfell Tower residents have benefitted from a brand new academy and leisure centre, which represents our ongoing commitment to North Kensington.”

http://www.rydon.co.uk/news/rydon-lands-grenfell-tower-refurbishment-

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Better than nothing.

HTB1k60gLXXXXXbjXFXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg

After you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Again cross posted from another thread but Nick Paget-Brown's (leader of the Tory council that outsourced building management) interview on C4 yesterday was telling for a number of reasons.

https://www.channel4.com/news/interview-nick-paget-brown-leader-of-kensington-and-chelsea-council

At 1.15 Snow says "disaster of catastrophic proportions.....it's clearly man made". Nick Paget-Brown replies "I'm afraid that is correct".

Snow then asks for a guarantee that the building won't be replaced by housing for rich people. Padget-Brown has the option to say "No it won't and I think that's disgusting given it's still burning". Instead he alludes to that very briefly, without giving the guarantee. He then talks about the money spent on the refurb while admitting that the refurbishment accelerated the fire, before back tracking to say "appears".

Jon Snow has been great. Asking the questions people want asked.

Even if sometimes ****s it up when asking the fireman about helicopters. Snow's reply - sorry I'm ignorant.

I feel "guilty" now. It's a wake up call for me since I've worked round here for here for 9 years. In and out without the slightest consideration of what I walk past every day.

It's only in the last couple of years I've noticed what's happening. It's not so much of a gentrification - more of a complete re-engineering.

You've got some very very expensive new built apartments. One / Two bedroom flats where even in other parts of London who could get something much bigger.

It's completely incongruous.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I work in this field. It was definitely a thermal upgrade, not just aesthetic.

I bow to your greater knowledge but I didn't mention insulation that was other posters.

Much play was made in the planning documents about making the views of the Tower being acceptable to local residents.

I asked the question (not made the point) that was the need to make it look better deemed more important than making it safe ?

I'd imagine your industry is also asking - what price thermal efficiency if it makes the building less safe ?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Jon Snow has been great. Asking the questions people want asked.

Even if sometimes ****s it up when asking the fireman about helicopters. Snow's reply - sorry I'm ignorant.

I feel "guilty" now. It's a wake up call for me since I've worked round here for here for 9 years. In and out without the slightest consideration of what I walk past every day.

It's only in the last couple of years I've noticed what's happening. It's not so much of a gentrification - more of a complete re-engineering.

You've got some very very expensive new built apartments. One / Two bedroom flats where even in other parts of London who could get something much bigger.

It's completely incongruous.

Interesting post from someone who knows the area. I can't thumb it up but I can say that it echoes much of what you read on the blogs that were shared from the residents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here