Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
These peeps would probably have arrived with nothing but the cloths that they are wearing and should certainly be prioritized .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-40313310
is that really our problem though?
My old man left the Forces in the Mid 70s after 26 years service with a wife and 5 kids,We were put on a council waiting list and to this day we've not heard nothing back!!My Dad died a couple of years ago without ever getting offered a council place,He never took Himself off the list, now I would say We deserved a place more than someone that has just landed at Heathrow with only a smart phone to their name, this is of course a differing view to many.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Govt., although I have no sway one way or another, are on the back foot. They HAVE to say what WE want to hear, they have no choice. Do they care any more? No.

It's not so much the government but the local authority and the management agents.

Where they have been visible they have been highly defensive.

I got a sense in the following days (work round there) that not all was right.

Oddly there is a TA base just around the corner. I can't believe the locals were asking for help to sort out all the clothes and toiletries that had turned up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My old man left the Forces in the Mid 70s after 26 years service with a wife and 5 kids,We were put on a council waiting list and to this day we've not heard nothing back!!My Dad died a couple of years ago without ever getting offered a council place,He never took Himself off the list, now I would say We deserved a place more than someone that has just landed at Heathrow with only a smart phone to their name, this is of course a differing view to many.

I'm not putting up a banner here or even admitting to believing your post, although I have no reason not to. This country is a total f*ck job when they house people coming here before housing their own. When I lived in London, every Asian and African was housed, I never saw a beggar on the streets, except white people. Why do we house foreign nationals before our own? Simple question.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not putting up a banner here or even admitting to believing your post, although I have no reason not to. This country is a total f*ck job when they house people coming here before housing their own. When I lived in London, every Asian and African was housed, I never saw a beggar on the streets, except white people. Why do we house foreign nationals before our own? Simple question.

Fake News. I see homeless of all nationalities and people are housed on need rather than race. I have lived here for 20 years and lived all over London.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My Dad left the Navy in 1968, and went straight into a council flat. My ex left the Navy in 1971 and we got a three bedrromed council house within a month. We lived there for 6 years until we got a deposit for our own house. These were two different areas of the country. Councils had an agreement for ex forces to be housed, so forgive me if I take your post with a pinch of salt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely this. But I don't see why we should concrete over what's left of our green spaces to house millions of migrants. The problem is there aren't enough jobs and too many people in this world. What jobs there are are becoming automated to drive the profit of shareholders and the increasing super rich. So it's inevitable tragedies will occur, we can't cope not can any other western economies so disasters that are common to third world countries will likely become more so here. We are a rich country, trouble is the wealth ain't in the hands of the many but the few and they won't be giving it up anytime soon to fund 'others'. Why should they? That's how we're genetically built.

We don't have millions of migrants. We have thousands, but please remember that number includes those who have jobs lined up, and foreign students paying £27K per annum to our universities, and will leave after three years.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Lets bring this whole saga to the facts as we know it. An Ethiopian resident warned his neighbour that his fridge had/was about to explode/catch fire......he was carrying a holdall and left....how is that Theresa May's fault ?
Source : The Times .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bad choice of words. Sat on the findings. Or, specifically did not act on the fire safety recommendations and allowed the report to become effectively superfluous.

The management of Grenfell Tower was outsourced to the private sector, quite the grey area no?

i dont think its simply a bad choice of words, its misinformation. not acting on findings, which could be due to a dozen reasons, is quite a significant difference from deliberatly supressing a report. it creates an impression that is not accurate, like saying the managment is outsourced to private sector when its a tenant association run not-for-profit. technically that may be private as its not a government organisation, but its certainly not what one thinks of "private landlord".

and i dont see how highlighting facts instead of heresay and innuedo is supporting the status quo, people say they want the truth.

Last edited:

Lets bring this whole saga to the facts as we know it. An Ethiopian resident warned his neighbour that his fridge had/was about to explode/catch fire......he was carrying a holdall and left....how is that Theresa May's fault ?

This.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

If you are that sick I can post a picture of the fire in Albert Barnes House, Bermondsey, around 7 years ago. My flat was on the 12th floor of the 16 storey block. The fire,lower down, was contained within 2 floors as there was not any cladding on the outside of the building. There were no casualties. All residents assembled outside the building.

I would not expect the PM then to have been involved with that incident.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your dad deserved a place end of. Served his country.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
My Dad left the Navy in 1968, and went straight into a council flat. My ex left the Navy in 1971 and we got a three bedrromed council house within a month. We lived there for 6 years until we got a deposit for our own house. These were two different areas of the country. Councils had an agreement for ex forces to be housed, so forgive me if I take your post with a pinch of salt.

Take it with a pinch of whatever you fancy,the council in question is Brighton,My old man was born and bred Brighton,he'd spent 26 years away from Brighton,apart from visiting relatives and friends and to this day has never heard from Brighton council,as I said He died a couple years ago without so much as a kiss my arse from Brighton council.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
IMG_8876.PNG

Did not take long

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very shocking how this thread is progressing. Maybe Mrs May was representing the right by her lack of compassion. Luckily there are only a handful of you.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

The reason for the multiple casualties isn't how the fire started - but rather how it developed and so rapidly.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My Wealdstone supporting friend, used to be a fireman, working out of North Kensington.
Were both chatting about the tragic events that had unfurled last week with the fire in the tower block.
He started telling me a few stories of when he used to do mandatory fire checks on local tower blocks.
Where informing the inhabitants that the fire alarm would go off, and all should congregate as safely as possible to the appointed safety area.
It actually shocked me when he said that a few of the inhabitants couldn't be bothered to take part, saying it was ruining their day time tv!!
Even though this was happening he and his crew still carried out their duties.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What will most likely have happened is the correct cladding will have been specified and approved. However someone in the supply chain will have seen an opportunity to 'value engineer', either to save money or increase profit. They will have switched the spec without gaining necessary approval. It happens day in day out on UK construction projects. The subbie will have known exactly what he was installing.

so you could have a contractor input into the specification, after the tender has gone out? would the client accept that without confirming the change of spec meets the required standards? seems like that would put the client in a awkward position.

and a question to clear up something from earlier reports, suggestion was the cladding creates a void through which the fire travels, is that sensible scenario?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here