Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I look after the composite fire door department for my company and have had 5 unsolicited enquiries/requests for quotes in the last few days for FD60 (60 min rated) fire doors all from companies working on behalf of local authorities who have realised that their flat entrance doors don't meet the correct specifications and one yesterday also mentioned their block had external cladding. These enquiries were from all over the country so I think this is going to be found to be a widespread issue of shocking potential concequences.

In the previous two years I have only had two enquiries from new customers regarding these doors as most people go for the cheaper FD30 doors. Think this is at least going to force companies and local authorities to finally get their shit together

am i right in thinking the doors they installed no longer comply to current specs as opposed to they deliberately fitted the wrong ones?

I remember years back having my work place inspected annually by the fire brigade, you could then find out about impending changes etc and do what was needed.
Then the self assessment fire risk assessment regime came in, annual inspections stopped overnight,had one gap of 4 years before anyone visited. He said your fire doors are now crap and so is your risk assessment, you have six months to put it right.So we put it right and all ended nice.
The fire chap also said self assessment was ridiculous......asking small business owners to assess fire risk when unqualified and muddle through a template form was madness.
can you imagine how much this happens up and down the country.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just why do Tragedies always happen under Tories .

Good question , anybody here know why .

Here's a perfect example, of why cutting public services (in this case sufficient capacity in the Fire Service to focus on prevention, rather than just reactive fire fighting) lead to circumstances where such events are more likely to have serious consequences:

am i right in thinking the doors they installed no longer comply to current specs as opposed to they deliberately fitted the wrong ones?

I remember years back having my work place inspected annually by the fire brigade, you could then find out about impending changes etc and do what was needed.
Then the self assessment fire risk assessment regime came in, annual inspections stopped overnight,had one gap of 4 years before anyone visited. He said your fire doors are now crap and so is your risk assessment, you have six months to put it right.So we put it right and all ended nice.
The fire chap also said self assessment was ridiculous......asking small business owners to assess fire risk when unqualified and muddle through a template form was madness.
can you imagine how much this happens up and down the country.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Just why do Tragedies always happen under Tories .

Good question , anybody here know why .

Do they? Were we free of tragedies from 1997-2010?

I've heard of re-writing history, but that is taking it to an extraordinary level.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How would the shareholders of the companies involved with the St Edward Property Development feel about the properties only being sold at cost.
Wouldn't it impact on any dividend pay out?

Maybe they'll pick up the land from the Grenfell Tower for a good price.

https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/st-edward

Berkeley Group announced £812m profit just this week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/21/berkeley-defies-slowing-london-housing-market-soaring-profits/

So don't worry about their dividends.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
You just decided to add the fire service into your post, as if he were criticising the London Fire Brigade directly. It's unclear whether he is talking about the response, aftermath, the escape, the rehousing, the immediate looking after of people...he's just clearly upset.

Yes you are right , I have listened again and what he says at the end of the clip is indistinct .

Still , a damning indictment that " a 3rd world country would have handled it better "

I wonder what sort of assistance and compensation would be forthcoming if a similar disaster had occurred in Bangladesh .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes you are right , I have listened again and what he says at the end of the clip is indistinct .

Still , a damning indictment that " a 3rd world country would have handled it better "

I wonder what sort of assistance and compensation would be forthcoming if a similar disaster had occurred in Bangladesh .

Really, a damning indictment from a man that has lost loved ones in a tragedy, someone still very upset? Do you do empathy at all, or do you just see a foreign man having the audacity to suggest the disaster could have been handled better?

There are as many as 600 tower blocks with cladding that have to be tested.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40366646

Camden council have three blocks with the same cladding as Grenfell, and are in the process of being removed. The panels are aluminium with polyethylene insulation. The council have declared this is not was agreed with the contractors and are taking legal advice.
Interesting, I've received a letter from my local MP explaining that the local tower blocks which are cladded have been passed as safe. Hopefully they won't appear on that list.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Really, a damning indictment from a man that has lost loved ones in a tragedy, someone still very upset? Do you do empathy at all, or do you just see a foreign man having the audacity to suggest the disaster could have been handled better?

The quote is from the BBC website . I am sorry for bringing this to your attention .

If you are offended by the quote though , can I suggest that you contact the BBC and explain your concerns .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Here's a perfect example, of why cutting public services (in this case sufficient capacity in the Fire Service to focus on prevention, rather than just reactive fire fighting) lead to circumstances where such events are more likely to have serious consequences:

I agree with you,this was around 2008`ish, the fire officer was very clear, it was idiotic in his opinion to make small business owners pretend they were experts in fire and self assess,we have been failed by successive governments on some issues, i hope as has happened throughout history this is a turning point with regards to fire safety. What an awful price to pay to get there though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The quote is from the BBC website . I am sorry for bringing this to your attention .

If you are offended by the quote though , can I suggest that you contact the BBC and explain your concerns .

Maybe just stick to the 'other stuff' so that you aren't required to hide behind the BBC when your views unravel.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ this is embarrassing to watch on sky.....So so dramatised and now you have residents saying they don't feel safe and no doubt a chain of demands for a new home etc etc will happen or compensation.
Just bloody laughable this government and the bags of drama that comes with it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here