Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I have two.

A personal one with about 50 followers and another one with about 13,600 followers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As others have said it's good for up to date news, and following your interests.
But the massive pitfall (I assume it's the same for The Facebook) is, as the 'experts' say, you do end up in your bubble where all you see if your opinions reinforced.

I find it a little unsettling everytime I try to go beyond the end of my nose, eg following pro Trump users.

Then again my 20 tweets hardly makes me an expert.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, and btw. If you haven't already got your Twitter account display set to 'Night Mode', then do it. You'll never go back.

You're welcome.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Have on but don't look at it much. It's Useful for news. And for giving SASTA some real time feedback on their 'service'.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't use twitter or Facebook or any other of that type of platform, i have been a user of NSC for nearly 20 years so I'm not completely social media free, oh and WhatsApp is good to.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, it can be a personal news channel for whatever interests you.

I have a personal one and a *personal* one too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Had one ages ago which I used to attack private parking companies and the BPA but haven't used it for years now. I can't stand social media - a few weeks ago I deactivated my Facebook account and haven't regretted it for a second. Awful platforms.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have a Twitter account. Very useful for up to minute happenings.

Best example was when I was stuck in a jam on the M4. Didn't know what the hold up was so took to reading Twitter. Found out in seconds.

Yes, you have to ignore a few idiots who are starved of brain, but for the most part the experience can be tailored well.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am pleased to say that I am at an age where social media is not a necessity in my life. I do feel sorry for my grandkids who have been raised with modern media and the underlying expectancy that they will do as their peers do. It's not the idealistic world of childhood I had hoped for them. I'll put my rose tinted glasses back in their case.
There was an article on the news yesterday about political use of social media and its influence on subscribers. Bearing in mind the power of it, it is no surprise that extremists find an audience.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I use one for work to promote teaching resources and books I sell. My own personal Twitter account I do not use anymore, I also stopped using facebook 5 months ago. I feel so much better for not having either.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I use one for work to promote teaching resources and books I sell. My own personal Twitter account I do not use anymore, I also stopped using facebook 5 months ago. I feel so much better for not having either.

Given your line of work, I'd be interested in your views on Facebook usage on mental health and happiness, as I know there have been studies that suggest coming away from the platform can make people happier.

(That's not why I've largely withdrawn from it, however.)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I don't have Twitter, nor do I have Facebook or anything else.

I tried with them from a business perspective, but the amount of effort to propel them forward into something useful would have taken more hours than they're worth to me. I use Google Adwords and my website is also Google first page.

I run another forum online which gets over a million page hits a month. We tried Twitter and Instagram but nobody really gave a shit and just visited the forum instead.

My 18 year old Daughter gets lost for hours in social media, has literally thousands of "followers" - and when I ask her how much she's earning out of all the time she puts in, she gets pissed off with me. It's zero by the way.

Twitter to find out what's going on in the world, quickly, I suppose - but I'm happy with Sky News and BBC News. They're not far behind, and I've never come a cropper by not being the first to know. Traffic info? Google Maps, or my car - which is connected to some server at BMW and seems to know what the crack is at all times.

I was discussing the whole "online connected" thing the other week with a 20 something, who agreed it's brought just as much bad as it has good. As far as Policing the idiots on there, well - we'll look back on this era as that of the "Peelers" which preceded a proper police force...

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Like most others - good for up to date news and footie stuff. Almost always a goal for the oppo is first signified by a 'bollocks' appearing on the feed! Even a couple of Brighton followers I think..

High spot - Spagna liked my tweet saying how good 'Call me' was. Made it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Given your line of work, I'd be interested in your views on Facebook usage on mental health and happiness, as I know there have been studies that suggest coming away from the platform can make people happier.

(That's not why I've largely withdrawn from it, however.)

Absolutely. I think the evidence is ostensibly clear. I would be most concerned about the mental heath of a serial poster looking for likes. Serial selfies is also a real issue that should ring alarm bells.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Twitter is pretty much the only social media I use - don't tweet much (apart from retweets) but get to read a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't do, and I enjoy the juxtaposition of having say a report on the political situation in North Carolina followed by somebody posting another videogame meme and so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here