Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has TM been playing us all?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to be fair, the manifesto was that poorly presented and the campaigning so lacklustre that you have to wonder.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The Tories haven't had a 30plus majority for 30 years,
Most efficient political machine, my arse

They voted Ian Duncan Smith, William Hague,and Michael Howard ,just think about that, Michael Howard, in as Party Leader, ffs.
....or even contemplating Corbyn as PM..... hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This - she's a dull, characterless, unimaginative, boring woman....

What? How can you say that? She admitted, live on television, that she ran through fields of corn in order to make farmers absolutely livid and render numerous fieldmice homeless.

Off camera she admitted she was high on crack at the time, and the three blokes she was with ran out of steam at the four hour mark.

*Note : I'm sick of politics now. Can we talk about something else.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We all know you would revoke it anyway. If you took over UKIP you'd try to revoke it. I'll settle for JC leading the Labour party, I think.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
They should have the balls to call another election now then. But, they won't cos they'd be massacred
Maybe... or just maybe the complacent non voters will emerge to tip the balance... you know, all those oldies who thought it a sure thing for TM..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Bloody Hell...what utter bollocks.

Particularly the part where you say 'the most efficient political machine that this country has ever seen'.

Just...what the actual f***?

They just don't make a series of blunders like this. If they get beat in an election it's because there is a groundswell of public opinion against them. In fact the only time I can remember a similar turnover is when Ted Heath called an election thinking he could roll over Labour in the 70's. At that time he wasn't as far ahead and misread the public desire over who ruled the country.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
They should have the balls to call another election now then. But, they won't cos they'd be massacred

I can't see that happening because, as you say, they'll be destroyed. The plan would have been to lose by a fairly small margin that would allow them to snipe at Labour and look like a viable opposition.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought at the time it was a delaying tactic. It seemed unnecessary and out of the blue. She gave the impression of not being confident so she wasn’t going to oversell herself in the election when carrying self doubt. It was very much a trust me or don’t trust me vote on what we already know about her

A landslide victory without any effort would have given her confidence to proceed, and losing the majority could be blamed for a stalled Brexit.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Or its none of this and Mrs May believes that by calling the election in 2017 the next one is not required until after Brexit has been delivered and there is a couple of years for 'the best deal for Britain' to deliver so people forget.

However we are all going to be worse off and the Tories are likely to be humiliated at the next election.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They just don't make a series of blunders like this. If they get beat in an election it's because there is a groundswell of public opinion against them. In fact the only time I can remember a similar turnover is when Ted Heath called an election thinking he could roll over Labour in the 70's. At that time he wasn't as far ahead and misread the public desire over who ruled the country.
There are just so many factors as to why the Tories did so much worse than expected that you practically need a thread for each reason. Their manifesto would have given them a mandate to implement whatever was in it because the country would have endorsed it by a resounding Tory majority............... a Dementia tax....REALLY. The resulting U turn cost her so many votes. Failing to turn up for the live debate when all the others were there again gave Corbyn a lift in what was to be truthful a fairly average performance from the Labour leader. She handed the initiative to JC, gave him the ball and from that point on he ran with it gaining momentum all the time. It was soon lost that she had been a remainer and once the younger vote came out all her huffing and puffing about how she was the tough woman ready to negotiate Brexit reminded them that if they had got off their arses at the referendum things could have been so better for us all with a remain vote. This time they did vote and it looks like they went with JC.
Social media came into it this time and that evened things up against the 5 Tory newspapers and their lies and constant personal attacks against Corbyn. Their influence is going to be less a factor in coming elections I think.
Then of course there is just plain old complacency. I wish that that was not a factor in the Remainers campaign looking back, but I think it was.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Nah, it's down to overconfidence, a poor manifesto, U turns on a poor manifesto, May's failure to interact and empathise with the electorate and persisting with austerity when the public can see it impacting on education the NHS and social care.

They thought they just had to turn up like us v Bristol City.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
There are just so many factors as to why the Tories did so much worse than expected that you practically need a thread for each reason. Their manifesto would have given them a mandate to implement whatever was in it because the country would have endorsed it by a resounding Tory majority............... a Dementia tax....REALLY. The resulting U turn cost her so many votes. Failing to turn up for the live debate when all the others were there again gave Corbyn a lift in what was to be truthful a fairly average performance from the Labour leader. She handed the initiative to JC, gave him the ball and from that point on he ran with it gaining momentum all the time. It was soon lost that she had been a remainer and once the younger vote came out all her huffing and puffing about how she was the tough woman ready to negotiate Brexit reminded them that if they had got off their arses at the referendum things could have been so better for us all with a remain vote. This time they did vote and it looks like they went with JC.
Social media came into it this time and that evened things up against the 5 Tory newspapers and their lies and constant personal attacks against Corbyn. Their influence is going to be less a factor in coming elections I think.
Then of course there is just plain old complacency. I wish that that was not a factor in the Remainers campaign looking back, but I think it was.

The 'dementia tax' was sensible (set to allow more cash to keep) but without the higher level cap it was disastrous and a certain vote loser. Likewise the winter fuel meanstest and removal of the triple lock were aimed directly at the core Tory voters. I simply don't believe that they didn't expect this to blow up in their faces - and if they didn't then it raises other serious questions about competency. The net result was that hundreds of thousands of OAP Tory voters (even millions) stayed at home.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The 'dementia tax' was sensible (set to allow more cash to keep) but without the higher level cap it was disastrous and a certain vote loser. Likewise the winter fuel meanstest and removal of the triple lock were aimed directly at the core Tory voters. I simply don't believe that they didn't expect this to blow up in their faces - and if they didn't then it raises other serious questions about competency. The net result was that hundreds of thousands of OAP Tory voters (even millions) stayed at home.

I would like to see some sort of official statistic as to how many more 18-24 year olds voted this time. Then comparing turn outs from last elections we could see if the OAP dropped as you say. I don't doubt that it did somewhat Jim.

Just checked 2015 - 66.1%
2017 - 68.7%

Over 70% for the 18 - 24 years olds.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here