Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dembele wants out of Celtic, newspapers reporting we're interested

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Reckon this is a huge hidden factor in any of our transfer discussions. Not just the cost of that player but the knock on additional wages costs if a big earner comes in.

Absolutely, this is why we don't get top-dollar strikers at Brighton. Some clubs will give huge salaries to strikers and spread the rest of their wages budget out amongst the rest of the team. We prefer to pay higher wages for defenders but consequently lower wages for strikers. So I imagine we'll lose out on Dembele.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Absolutely, this is why we don't get top-dollar strikers at Brighton. Some clubs will give huge salaries to strikers and spread the rest of their wages budget out amongst the rest of the team. We prefer to pay higher wages for defenders but consequently lower wages for strikers. So I imagine we'll lose out on Dembele.

Is there any substance to that suggestion, or is it an assumption? Not doubting you, just sounds a bit unlikely to me.

Yoda

English & European
Thanks for summarising.

So wages potentially a problem, especially if we have a few 'top earner' clauses in the squad too? Potentially risky for Dembele but surely we could include a release clause that means he could go in the summer if relegated or if a bigger offer comes in ?

Still think this player is very high risk to pin hopes on getting 8-10 goals by end of season.

Why? Just add clauses in his contract that will see him earn more, eg. Scoring Bonus, Appearance Fee's etc. There are ways around 'Top Earner' clauses if they relate to weekly wage.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm not sure the comment was about higher wages for defenders. As an example with no actual knowledge, say Dunk, Stephens, Knocky and Murray are all on 45k a week. If they all have top earner parity in their contracts and Dembele or any other striker arrives on 60k a week. Those 4 players will be entitled to jump to 60k a week making rather than an extra 60k on the wage bill an extra 120k on the wage bill.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This rumour is complete tripe, there is no truth in it at all.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Top 6 club interested but not till summer ey?

Mmm, so who could it be and how would Dembele do with getting first team football.

Man City - Nope
Man Utd - Nope
Liverpool - Nope
Chelsea - Doubt it
Spurs - Never going to start ahead of Kane, plus they've bought poorly on quite a few occasions recently with big money strikers from other leagues.
Arsenal. Possibly the likeliest one of the lot, but he'll be back up there, and any interest probably wont get backed up with a bid from Wenger. If he did go he's down the pecking order.

Not much too get excited about if your Dembele there, unless he just likes money and the odd cameo in the cups.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Or the leaking of the Brighton link so early, was designed to smoke out offers from "bigger clubs". I suspect that Dembele thinks he should be playing for a bigger club than Brighton. If he wants to come here and prove it, then I am okay with that, but I suspect that we will need to look elsewhere.

I suspect we are

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for summarising.

So wages potentially a problem, especially if we have a few 'top earner' clauses in the squad too? Potentially risky for Dembele but surely we could include a release clause that means he could go in the summer if relegated or if a bigger offer comes in ?

Still think this player is very high risk to pin hopes on getting 8-10 goals by end of season.

Out of interest how much do you think a striker would cost that would definitely score 8-10 goals in less than half a season?
How many goals would a low risk striker score and cost?
Would you gamble on a £2m striker from nowhere or a £25m striker that is only 21(?) with good sell on potential and possible longevity? Note if he is a half decent striker and stayed at at Brighton for 5 years he would cost £5m a year, peanuts and only just hitting his prime.

I would gamble and I am hoping that the gambler in Tony will do as well. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Top 6 club interested but not till summer ey?

Mmm, so who could it be and how would Dembele do with getting first team football.

Man City - Nope
Man Utd - Nope
Liverpool - Nope
Chelsea - Doubt it
Spurs - Never going to start ahead of Kane, plus they've bought poorly on quite a few occasions recently with big money strikers from other leagues.
Arsenal. Possibly the likeliest one of the lot, but he'll be back up there, and any interest probably wont get backed up with a bid from Wenger. If he did go he's down the pecking order.

Not much too get excited about if your Dembele there, unless he just likes money and the odd cameo in the cups.

Agree with this but would add it would be a total no from Chelsea as well other than being bought and then loaned straight out again aka Lukaku at Everton and wba and sold again. All the top six have the spending power and means to pay £ 75 million plus for any player they want. He needs to be realistic, if he wants to use us as a spring board to greater things in 18 months / 2 years that's fine by me.
Arsenal are being linked with BVB's Emerick Aubameyang. So that leaves an established Prem club with money for wages ..............Southampton and Leicester anybody?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Out of interest how much do you think a striker would cost that would definitely score 8-10 goals in less than half a season?
How many goals would a low risk striker score and cost?
Would you gamble on a £2m striker from nowhere or a £25m striker that is only 21(?) with good sell on potential and possible longevity? Note if he is a half decent striker and stayed at at Brighton for 5 years he would cost £5m a year, peanuts and only just hitting his prime.

I would gamble and I am hoping that the gambler in Tony will do as well. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I noticed that 8 to 10 figure. It's never going to happen. First, there isn't half a season left any more. Second, that would be the equivalent of a striker scoring 16 to 20 goals in a season, and they tend to be at top six clubs.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Agree with this but would add it would be a total no from Chelsea as well other than being bought and then loaned straight out again aka Lukaku at Everton and wba and sold again. All the top six have the spending power and means to pay £ 75 million plus for any player they want. He needs to be realistic, if he wants to use us as a spring board to greater things in 18 months / 2 years that's fine by me.
Arsenal are being linked with BVB's Emerick Aubameyang. So that leaves an established Prem club with money for wages ..............Southampton and Leicester anybody?

Stains, Leicester, Stoke, West Ham...... we wont be first choice but we have a reasonable chance of persuading a player except we probably pay less.

My guess is we will have incoming next week. Will it be Dembele (currently holidaying in Dubai)? Who knows?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Is there any substance to that suggestion, or is it an assumption? Not doubting you, just sounds a bit unlikely to me.

Sorry yeah its my hypothesis on why we consistently don't splash out on strikers but yet managed to put together a promotion-winning side. The only proof is in the pudding, as they say.

All championship sides will have limited budgets for wages that they divvy out amongst their players, say other clubs split 60-20 on big name players vs the rest of the first team, and we prefer parity, nearer 45-35 by way of example, then we'll always miss out on the glamour positions, i.e. strikers, but we'll be attractive to players in other positions where we are out-competing other clubs. Its my hypothesis that strikers are over-valued on an outlay-per-points-won scale, and its more worthwhile to invest elsewhere, and this is a strategy that we actively adopt.

If this is the case, its still hard to say whether we remain rigidly tied to this in the premier league, after all we failed to sign a striker because the strikers in question failed to pass their medical or get approval to be released from their club, not because of a failing on the part of the club to come up with enough salary to attract those players. But Dembele strikes me as someone with BIG salary demands.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
If this is the case, its still hard to say whether we remain rigidly tied to this in the premier league, after all we failed to sign a striker because the strikers in question failed to pass their medical or get approval to be released from their club, not because of a failing on the part of the club to come up with enough salary to attract those players. But Dembele strikes me as someone with BIG salary demands.

Some sense.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm fed up of this saga already. Wouldn't it be easier to pay for a huge tub of Nivea and six Asian hookers and get Glenn Murray feeling 5 years younger?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here