Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dembele wants out of Celtic, newspapers reporting we're interested

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

'Brighton are Premier League new boys but money-man Bloom will move heaven and earth to keep them there.'

That ground my gears. 8th highest playing budget in the Champs last season and have hardly splashed the stupid cash this. Another media myth about us. Just accept we've done things the right way and not bought success you wankers.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Is he really the answer, massive gamble on £20m. Lets hope those who make the decisions have a clear view, because we certainly don't.

The reality is that in the current market £20m does not get you a proven top level striker. Crazy when you think about it really, but we are taking a punt even at that kind of fee.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
'Brighton are Premier League new boys but money-man Bloom will move heaven and earth to keep them there.'

That ground my gears. 8th highest playing budget in the Champs last season and have hardly splashed the stupid cash this. Another media myth about us. Just accept we've done things the right way and not bought success you wankers.

I thought it was a fair enough comment from Gordon Smith, not sure you've taken it completely the wrong way? If Bloom does cough up around £20-30m in this transfer window, then frankly that is moving heaven and earth by a long chalk in our terms. All Smith is saying he doesn't think Bloom will just let us see how we get on, he wants to establish us up there - not sure I can disagree with that?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw this the 2018 Jonathan Calleri thread? Just need West Ham to up there interest and we are there.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Apparantly we spent £42.84m in the summer.If we pay £25m for Dembele and have a few quid left for another player that could be £80m for this season alone.It seems an incredible amount of money for a team that not so long ago were playing in an athletics stadium.Then again £80m these days,since the transfers of the summer is suddenly not that much.The pace of transfer hikes is outstripping what clubs are earning and able to spend unless you are PSG/City and have unlimited money and can get around fair play.

larus

Yep, frightening isn’t it. When you consider £75m for VVD and compare that to out £45m approx, we look looks paupers. I do think we’ll survive this year, and with the core of the squad now and additions in this window and next, we’ll be OK.

There’s a lot to be said for sensible le running of a club and being disciplined in transfer dealings. Being strong enough to walk away eventually gets known about amongst the agents, so they’ll know that we won’t be bullied. I know ths won’t appease some on here, but it’s the path to long-term stability. Just my opinion.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Yep, frightening isn’t it. When you consider £75m for VVD and compare that to out £45m approx, we look looks paupers. I do think we’ll survive this year, and with the core of the squad now and additions in this window and next, we’ll be OK.

There’s a lot to be said for sensible le running of a club and being disciplined in transfer dealings. Being strong enough to walk away eventually gets known about amongst the agents, so they’ll know that we won’t be bullied. I know ths won’t appease some on here, but it’s the path to long-term stability. Just my opinion.

Good point, well put.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree. And compared with us, Burnley are small, and yet look what they have achieved. Slighty OT, I recall all the sniggering when the oligarch took on Chelsea's debt (then around 90 million) and th expectation was he would walk away leaving them looking like what's left after a Dementor has finished feeding. And then various clubs became the instruments of sheiks, US franchisers etc. So far none have flounced off. But it is only a matter of time. What sort of state would some of the 'big' clubs be in if the rich owner got bored and ran off with the assets? Perhaps of the top 6, only Arsenal and Spuds are immune from this, with the money apparently inside the club or in the hands of a bloomesque fan owner.

No, I am very content with where we are, and don't have the sort of cold sweaty panic attacks that the more introspective Citeh or Chelsea supporter might have after too much rumination.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Just watched some of Dembele on YouTube.He has ability for sure but it's easier to look good in the SPL.We could buy him and then in a year with these crazy transfer prices he could be worth 100m+ or he could be a dud.I think for sure at the beginning he would put bums on seats and other teams and the media would take more notice of us.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Just watched some of Dembele on YouTube.He has ability for sure but it's easier to look good in the SPL.We could buy him and then in a year with these crazy transfer prices he could be worth 100m+ or he could be a dud.I think for sure at the beginning he would put bums on seats and other teams and the media would take more notice of us.

He has had some very good performances in the Champions League against some very good sides, including Barcelona.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Can you sum it up for us, please.

According to Duncan Castles:

BHA most active regarding Dembele. Offered 18-20m.
Player's rep very dubious at first but impressed with club after talks.
See the next move as possibly a stepping stone towards becoming a top European striker.
Celtic open to a move for sure.
But:
BHA top earner around 45k and that is not much more than he is on.
Top 6 Prem club interested but probably not until summer.
So may stay at Celtic until next window.

So, easier to conclude a deal with Celtic than agreeing terms with Dembele.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
According to Duncan Castles:

BHA most active regarding Dembele. Offered 18-20m.
Player's rep very dubious at first but impressed with club after talks.
See the next move as possibly a stepping stone towards becoming a top European striker.
Celtic open to a move for sure.
But:
BHA top earner around 45k and that is not much more than he is on.
Top 6 Prem club interested but probably not until summer.
So may stay at Celtic until next window.

So, easier to conclude a deal with Celtic than agreeing terms with Dembele.

Thanks for summarising.

So wages potentially a problem, especially if we have a few 'top earner' clauses in the squad too? Potentially risky for Dembele but surely we could include a release clause that means he could go in the summer if relegated or if a bigger offer comes in ?

Still think this player is very high risk to pin hopes on getting 8-10 goals by end of season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So wages potentially a problem, especially if we have a few 'top earner' clauses in the squad too?.

Reckon this is a huge hidden factor in any of our transfer discussions. Not just the cost of that player but the knock on additional wages costs if a big earner comes in.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Thanks for summarising.

So wages potentially a problem, especially if we have a few 'top earner' clauses in the squad too? Potentially risky for Dembele but surely we could include a release clause that means he could go in the summer if relegated or if a bigger offer comes in ?

Still think this player is very high risk to pin hopes on getting 8-10 goals by end of season.

Or the leaking of the Brighton link so early, was designed to smoke out offers from "bigger clubs". I suspect that Dembele thinks he should be playing for a bigger club than Brighton. If he wants to come here and prove it, then I am okay with that, but I suspect that we will need to look elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here