Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will be the next leader of the Conservative party?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'd imagine Ruth Davidson is the one Labour fear, but that's complicated.

Yeah, Davidson would be a good choice by the Tories, but for a number of reasons I can't see it happening - which from a Labour perspective is good.

If it wasn't for the fact it would make us a TOTAL laughing stock abroad I'd like to see Boris get it. Jezza could well be in number 10 before Christmas!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Boris is the clear favourite and although he clearly fancies the job, I suspect he doesn't want it nowish. Let someone deal with the aftermath of this election cluster**** and then ease into the position ahead of the next election if the Tories are able to string it out long enough.

Davis is the clear second favourite and then Rudd and Davidson are the only other realistic contenders according to current odds.

Don't fancy it yourself Bozza? Quick nomination for the first safe seat heart attack, straight into the Cabinet and party leader and pm within 2 years?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Ruth Davidson would win a landslide. Look at how she's turned the narrative and tide around in Scotland. The smug SNP now licking their wounds with independence off the table.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't fancy it yourself Bozza? Quick nomination for the first safe seat heart attack, straight into the Cabinet and party leader and pm within 2 years?

Being opening critical of a Conservative Prime Minister before her disastrous election result and subsequently voting Lib Dem are probably going to hold me back there. Perhaps I should just delete all my posts from NSC to minimise the number of skeletons in my closet should I toss my hat into the ring.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What is so f*cking annoying on here is the pathetic, blinkered comments from a lot on both sides.

I will also admit that the Tories have made mistakes in the past; yet I can't recall seeing that from Labour supporters.

Wow, are you being deliberately ironic?!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Being opening critical of a Conservative Prime Minister before her disastrous election result and subsequently voting Lib Dem are probably going to hold me back there. Perhaps I should just delete all my posts from NSC to minimise the number of skeletons in my closet should I toss my hat into the ring.

Too late :)
Many of us have already archived all of your posts, so that when you do become PM, we can hold you to ransom. Nothing too significant in the scheme of things - just a donation to the cost of doubling the capacity of the Amex, free entry for existing ST holders for the next 5 years, and free bacon sarnies on arrival at the game - that kind of thing :whistle:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ruth Davidson would win a landslide. Look at how she's turned the narrative and tide around in Scotland. The smug SNP now licking their wounds with independence off the table.

She's done it though by tapping into the pro-EU views of the Scottish electorate: she's fanatically pro-EU and is already trying to push May into a softer Brexit. I agree that she'd give Labour a tough battle (she's probably the one leader they fear) but I can't see her being elected.

Even if she finds a safe seat, the Tory party membership is staunchly anti-EU and I'm not sure they'd find her acceptable. Look at Ken Clarke 20 years ago - a politician who could have really captured the centre ground but not elected as leader because of his EU views. Davidson is just Ken Clarke with fewer cigars and pints.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
..Even if she finds a safe seat, the Tory party membership is staunchly anti-EU and I'm not sure they'd find her acceptable. Look at Ken Clarke 20 years ago - a politician who could have really captured the centre ground but not elected as leader because of his EU views. Davidson is just Ken Clarke with fewer cigars and pints.

Is that a clever, if rather oblique, Hush Puppies / comfortable shoes reference?

larus

Wow, are you being deliberately ironic?!

Well, Labour supporters do not seem to accept that Labour policy was in any way a factor in the 2007/8 financial crisis. Nothing at all. When things go wrong, it's the big bad world. Dear 'Prudence' was not balancing expenditure over the economic cycle; he was also spending 'future' money via PFI which was not included in the national debt.

larus

What is so f*cking annoying on here is the pathetic, blinkered comments from a lot on both sides.

There were numerous Labour committed supporters who were saying stuff before the election that the Corbyn experiment had failed; then they are suddenly proclaiming him as the new messiah (based on the fact that he successfully bribed the youth vote by promising to get rid of £27k tuition fees). BTW, I think the fees are extortionate and a fairer level would be say £3-4k p.a.

I tend to vote Tory as I have always preferred small government and business friendly policies, but I will admit that there have been several leaders of the Tories who have been crap. IDS, Major, Howard, May. I never wanted May and I've never warmed to her. I saw a clip of a sky interview with her this morning and thought; lots of words but saying nothing. I think there are more Tory voters who will be critical of their own party than there are Labour voters on here.

I will also admit that the Tories have made mistakes in the past; yet I can't recall seeing that from Labour supporters. All we ever get is the standard rhetoric of 'Selfish, nasty Tories'. So, if you think my comment is dumb, maybe you should consider who it was aimed at. One of the usual, pathetic, blinkered Labour 'rent-a-gob' twits.

Yes, but 'cleverly' removing the point which I made being critical of Tories. There are lots on here who just say stuff like 'Tories are selfish c*nts', so I stand by by comment. However, I did not say that all Labour voters are 'rent-a-gob' twits. Maybe too subtle for you to notice eh!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Well, Labour supporters do not seem to accept that Labour policy was in any way a factor in the 2007/8 financial crisis. Nothing at all. When things go wrong, it's the big bad world. Dear 'Prudence' was not balancing expenditure over the economic cycle; he was also spending 'future' money via PFI which was not included in the national debt.

Maybe, but are you really so blinkered that you can't recall seeing criticism of the Labour party from Labour supporters?

Was you post an attempt at being ironic or just a very bad case of blinkered hypocrisy?

larus

Maybe, but are you really so blinkered that you can't recall seeing criticism of the Labour party from Labour supporters?

Was you post an attempt at being ironic or just a very bad case of blinkered hypocrisy?

You're the blinkered one I have said that I don't approve of things the Tories have done and that I was not impressed with several of their leaders.

And, being honest, I don't recall Labour supporters being critical of Labour policies. Maybe I haven't ready every post on here and missed that one :lol:. I have seen numerous posts defending Gordon 'Prudence' Browns record in power and nothing was his fault. I'm not saying everything was his fault, but he sure wasn't the spend-thrift/steady-hand he liked to portray. And I have seen numerous posts accusing Tories as being selfish voters, out for themselves, not caring, etc.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

She lost in Scotland, the same as Corbyn lost in the U.K. The SNP still has more than half the seats the Scottish seats in Parliament, she actually won 12 seats, so, it's a defeat. I hope the Cons do bring her in,a very pro remainer, leading a party that is Euro sceptic, on the whole, it wouldn't end well.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How have so many leading democracies got such a (perceived) poor pool of politicians to choose from? Is it too much to ask for to have a high level of personality, conviction and integrity? Why do so many lack one or even two of these traits? I didn't vote LD but we could really do with a few more Vince Cables, glad he's back in politics. But for every Vince, there's an Emily Thornberry, Diane Abbot, George Asbourne, Michael Gove etc. It seems Politics no longer attracts statesmen and women like those we saw in the 20th century. And the biggest example of this is Trump. Instead we more often than not get Sarkosy's, Belesconi's and Johnson's...absolute self serving buffoons whose legacy is chaos. The world is crying out for leadership - has politics become so toxic that no ones interested anymore, of any great quality?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd imagine Ruth Davidson is the one Labour fear, but that's complicated.

And, listening to Radio 4 yesterday, Boris is the leader Labour desperately want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here