Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will be the next leader of the Conservative party?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I like Boris and think he would connect with a lot of people

I can see that, there are a lot of people who would be attracted to a slippery buffoon with a eye for the main chance. Certainly, the fact that most of his pronouncements appear to emanate from his arse hasn't so far diminished his appeal.

larus

I don't support his comments, and, have never supported his comments, if you read my previous posts I have condemned the use of violence by both sides in NI.

In which case I apologise. However, those comments, IMO, deem him unfit for public office. Boris can make gaffes I accept, but I know a lot of people that like him compared to the 'on message' BS we get now. I think he would connect with a lot of not political people. The hard-line Tory/Labour voters don't really count. It's the disengaged/floating ones who I feel could be swayed by Boris. I know some people will ridicule him, but he was a popular mayor of London so he can't be as bad as some want to make out.

larus

I can see that, there are a lot of people who would be attracted to a slippery buffoon with a eye for the main chance. Certainly, the fact that most of his pronouncements appear to emanate from his arse hasn't so far diminished his appeal.

Maybe he could get away with the same as Labour.

"Roll-up, Roll-up. Free give aways for everyone. Don't worry where it comes from, that's just minor details."

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Maybe he could get away with the same as Labour.

"Roll-up, Roll-up. Free give aways for everyone. Don't worry where it comes from, that's just minor details."

Good grief, you're just like a little toy, wind you up and off you go.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In which case I apologise. However, those comments, IMO, deem him unfit for public office. Boris can make gaffes I accept, but I know a lot of people that like him compared to the 'on message' BS we get now. I think he would connect with a lot of not political people. The hard-line Tory/Labour voters don't really count. It's the disengaged/floating ones who I feel could be swayed by Boris. I know some people will ridicule him, but he was a popular mayor of London so he can't be as bad as some want to make out.

I think a lot of people see Boris as a buffoon, I have s fair few Tory friends, the majority of whom couldn't believe he was made Foriegn Secretary, but, could understand why May wanted him on the inside pissing out, rather than on the outside pissing in.

The £350 million to the NHS fairy tale may come back to bite him, as well

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
empf.jpg

Yes please if only .

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Oh, the irony coming from you. Another poster who would vote for a pig wearing a red rosette. :shootself

to right and he/she would win,oh as long as it was not the one dave has had his **** in

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that IIRC Sir Alec Douglas Home was PM but not an MP as I said on a similar thread.

Douglas Home was an interesting case: he was a peer of the realm but resigned his earldom on being appointed leader, he then stood for the vacant seat of Kinross and West Perthshire and duly won it about three weeks later. But for three weeks, he was PM but neither peer nor MP. That wouldn't happen again I'd say the chances of a peer being chosen as PM between nought and zero.

As for the next leader, my money would be on Hammond. Davis was the architect of the snap general election and will be blamed for that debacle. Gove or Johnson would have Labour opening champagne for days and Rudd's seat is too unsafe. Davidson would terrify Labour but I think she's set on carving a niche in Scotland (besides, I'm not sure who'd resign a safe seat to accommodate her).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
please make :lolol:it fallon then we can all have a laugh

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Douglas Home was an interesting case: he was a peer of the realm but resigned his earldom on being appointed leader, he then stood for the vacant seat of Kinross and West Perthshire and duly won it about three weeks later. But for three weeks, he was PM but neither peer nor MP. That wouldn't happen again I'd say the chances of a peer being chosen as PM between nought and zero.

As for the next leader, my money would be on Hammond. Davis was the architect of the snap general election and will be blamed for that debacle. Gove or Johnson would have Labour opening champagne for days and Rudd's seat is too unsafe. Davidson would terrify Labour but I think she's set on carving a niche in Scotland (besides, I'm not sure who'd resign a safe seat to accommodate her).

The South Thanet seat could become available soon, if Craig Mackinley is found guilty.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is there anyone any better than the current incumbent ...worryingly the answer is probably no...anyway that wasn't the question ...at this stage with the runners and riders not formally announced i'm struggling to pin the tail on the correct donkey

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All of the potential candidates are sh1t, it's why May got chosen in the first place.

I can't see that Scot Ruth Davidson would be the one to lead the UK through Brexit when Scotland is staunch Remain.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh, the irony coming from you. Another poster who would vote for a pig wearing a red rosette. :shootself

That's a pretty dumb comment when there are probably an equal number of people that blindly vote conservative irrespective of the name on the ballot paper!

larus

That's a pretty dumb comment when there are probably an equal number of people that blindly vote conservative irrespective of the name on the ballot paper!

What is so f*cking annoying on here is the pathetic, blinkered comments from a lot on both sides.

There were numerous Labour committed supporters who were saying stuff before the election that the Corbyn experiment had failed; then they are suddenly proclaiming him as the new messiah (based on the fact that he successfully bribed the youth vote by promising to get rid of £27k tuition fees). BTW, I think the fees are extortionate and a fairer level would be say £3-4k p.a.

I tend to vote Tory as I have always preferred small government and business friendly policies, but I will admit that there have been several leaders of the Tories who have been crap. IDS, Major, Howard, May. I never wanted May and I've never warmed to her. I saw a clip of a sky interview with her this morning and thought; lots of words but saying nothing. I think there are more Tory voters who will be critical of their own party than there are Labour voters on here.

I will also admit that the Tories have made mistakes in the past; yet I can't recall seeing that from Labour supporters. All we ever get is the standard rhetoric of 'Selfish, nasty Tories'. So, if you think my comment is dumb, maybe you should consider who it was aimed at. One of the usual, pathetic, blinkered Labour 'rent-a-gob' twits.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Whatever anyone may think about Boris he is not stupid - he doesn't want to be seen to be sticking the knife into May now
I think he will probably throw his hat in the ring sooner or later but he will sit on the sidelines giving his support for May at the moment and will keep his powder dry until she goes
I think that if the Tories can stumble through the Brexit negotiations with her they will replace just after those negotiations end in 2019 and then will elect a new leader - that may be Boris or Davison if the Tories can find a safe seat for her
The British public are currently in no mood for any more political elections - whether party, general or referenda

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't think Boris wants to be another Heseltine so he'll wait for someone else to stick the knife in and then "reluctantly" throw his hat in the ring once the contest for the new leader has started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here