Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories going for it...

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I don't think it's an important issue.

Why not? Do you not believe in something the vast majority of scientists believe is fact or do you simply think the melting of the ice caps, increased tropical storms, destruction of habitat and loss of farmland (leading to increased famine) around the world is not important?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I've not been persuaded that it is as important as you believe. Going back to the original point, I'd rather the time spent on this discussion in school was spent elsewhere.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I've not been persuaded that it is as important as you believe. Going back to the original point, I'd rather the time spent on this discussion in school was spent elsewhere.

Perhaps you would have benefited from more education on the subject whilst at school?

Which aspects of Geography/Science should teachers be teaching instead of Climate change? It won't be English or Maths as these are taught in, well, English and Maths! By the way you may not know that education on Climate change involves an evaluation of the evidence.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I studied it in higher education. Not that it makes any difference to the point i'm making. I'd still rather have more time spent by teachers on raising English and math standards in secondary schools.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I studied it in higher education. Not that it makes any difference to the point i'm making. I'd still rather have more time spent by teachers on raising English and math standards in secondary schools.

As I've said Global Warming is not taught in English and Maths but in other subjects (Geography and Science). Removing global warming from the curriculum would not lead to more English and Maths lessons it would simply lead to different Science or Geography content being taught. Students have more than enough time studying English and Maths but it's important they have a balanced curriculum and study other subjects also. Teaching Global warming in Science and Geography will improve students English Skills anyway as it will involve persuasive arguing/essay writing.

Anyway as I said previously Gove screwed schools and is now likely to screw the environment too.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Well clearly it was a waste of your time.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Looks like POB and also has the sort of blubbery mouth that means I can't look at or listen to him

Also....
IMG_5937.JPG

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
This election result is full of ironies, the most significant being the younger generation that influenced it so much will pay the heaviest price. Tory policies on social care and pensions, which were redistributive from the older generation to the younger, will now not happen.

The weakened government will also likely be forced into a spending spree. Good, you may say. But we're already horribly indebted. It's the younger generations that will see vast chunks of government revenues spent, not on vital public services, but on debt interest payments. Sadly, the fabled magic money tree really doesn't exist.

Added to all this, I fear we could now end up with the worse of all worlds on Brexit - outside the sphere of influence but still shouldering the negatives of EU membership.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
. Sadly, the fabled magic money tree really doesn't exist.

It did for the bank bailout....

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It did for the bank bailout....
That was emergency borrowing/lending (not from the exchequer).... and certainly in the case of Lloyd's, has now all been paid back with a net gain of circa £500m.

This proposed spending by Corbyn, simply put, will just go into the black hole of public spending, never to be seen again. Corporation and higher earner taxation is not a precise science, if those two sources dry up... ie move abroad, or not generate the tax take imagined by Jezza.... then what happens?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That was emergency borrowing/lending (not from the exchequer).... and certainly in the case of Lloyd's, has now all been paid back with a net gain of circa £500m.

This proposed spending by Corbyn, simply put, will just go into the black hole of public spending, never to be seen again. Corporation and higher earner taxation is not a precise science, if those two sources dry up... ie move abroad, or not generate the tax take imagined by Jezza.... then what happens?

Ah yes, OK then. Let's push on with austerity and be quiet then.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ah yes, OK then. Let's push on with austerity and be quiet then.
Yep... it seems the sensible option at the moment,... you know, get the accounts into a more manageable position.... just like you presumably do with your own domestic finances... yes?... no?

Where exactly do you think the trillions are going to come from to build all those houses, roads, schools, rail, hospitals, doctors surgeries etcetera... considering we need to accommodate 500k net increase in population each and every year.... have you tried driving anywhere in this country lately?.....

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep... it seems the sensible option at the moment,... you know, get the accounts into a more manageable position.... just like you presumably do with your own domestic finances... yes?... no?

Where exactly do you think the trillions are going to come from to build all those houses, roads, schools, rail, hospitals, doctors surgeries etcetera... considering we need to accommodate 500k net increase in population each and every year.... have you tried driving anywhere in this country lately?.....

I see what you mean, so, I'll just have to muddle along and accept my 1% rise every year or two and be grateful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here