Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hughes anyone?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Cairney on last season's form please. Hughes used to look amazing but has rotted on their bench for 2 years. Amazed they didn't start to play him regularly like we did with Dunk or cast him aside.

Overpaying each week for a top young player to hemerige transfer value seems an odd way to run a business. Maybe they'll shop him around this off-season? Would think the 3 clubs newly promoted to the Prem will be the only ones able to afford him who might also have an interest.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
4 million quid would be daylight robbery, absolutely no chance of him going for that unless he has it in his contract regarding Prem team offers.

Would be 10 million in my opinion

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Cairney on last season's form please. Hughes used to look amazing but has rotted on their bench for 2 years. Amazed they didn't start to play him regularly like we did with Dunk or cast him aside.

Overpaying each week for a top young player to hemerige transfer value seems an odd way to run a business. Maybe they'll shop him around this off-season? Would think the 3 clubs newly promoted to the Prem will be the only ones able to afford him who might also have an interest.

Eh? Di we overplay him or leave him rotting on the bench? For the record he was inured most of 15/16 and made 42 appearances last season....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He might have a posh, punchable face - one that his 3 fist-swatting henchman keep oiks away from administering jabbing justice to - but he's got quite a touch, Hughes, and as mentioned earlier such a price would be a steal.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm surprised by the number of people who have said no to this. He might be an irritating little shite to play against but he is a heck of a player with the potential to be better than all of our central midfielders I would say. Would be delighted to get him, especially for that price.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think people are forgetting that he is still only 21! Still plenty of time to realise his huge potential. When he was playing well, he was probably one of the best midfielders in the championship. I would love him here but even if he doesn't it might be a case that he needs to go to a new club to start afresh. He seems he's too comfortable at Derby and not pushing himself enough.

Then again Rowett might get the best out of him, we'll see.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Technically excellent, I would question his mental strength. A player like him needs to grab games by the scruff of the neck and exert his skills, I haven't seen him do that too often.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Technically excellent, I would question his mental strength. A player like him needs to grab games by the scruff of the neck and exert his skills, I haven't seen him do that too often.

He's yet to work with a manager of the calibre of Chris Hughton...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He has a very odd background. Educated at Repton.

Is that so very odd?

People read that and assume that he's a posh kid, who happened to be good at football. The reality is that almost the entire Repton squad is 'recruited' from elsewhere, on sports scholarships, and is run as a de-facto academy set up, with formal links to the academies of Derby County and Burton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I did, it was when we got thrashed at their place in the play off semi. He ran the game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We badly need some more guile and creativity and he can run games. Young and energetic, he has his best years ahead of him so if the price is right, it's a yes from me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I did, it was when we got thrashed at their place in the play off semi. He ran the game.

Yes, he really was brilliant that day.

Edit. It may or may not make a difference, but he's just signed a new contract and got a 'serious' girlfriend, and is quite settled.......... (apparently!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Edit. It may or may not make a difference, but he's just signed a new contract and got a 'serious' girlfriend, and is quite settled.......... (apparently!)

Yeah, it's not like we can suggest that the area around Derby is a shithole either, so we won't be swinging it on location. I think Liverpool and a couple of other clubs have been interested in him in the past. Honestly can't see us being able to get him and certainly not at 4 million!

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013

That's the story locally (that he's very settled at Derby) and I think also he knows that, with the cruciate injury that kept him out for most of 2015/16 and the disruption caused by playing under 3 managers last season (2 of whom, including Rowett, didn't seem to have confidence in him), he's not progressed much over the last 2 years and needs to find his way again. He's a very grounded lad and I wouldn't be surprised if he felt it was better for him to find his feet again in the Championship rather than try to do it as a newcomer to the PL playing for a team who need everyone to be firing on all cylinders from day 1.

That said, if Rowett doesn't fancy him, a move may be his best option. Most Derby fans would hope not, but the fee level quoted alone should make this a non-starter.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's the story locally (that he's very settled at Derby) and I think also he knows that, with the cruciate injury that kept him out for most of 2015/16 and the disruption caused by playing under 3 managers last season (2 of whom, including Rowett, didn't seem to have confidence in him), he's not progressed much over the last 2 years and needs to find his way again. He's a very grounded lad and I wouldn't be surprised if he felt it was better for him to find his feet again in the Championship rather than try to do it as a newcomer to the PL playing for a team who need everyone to be firing on all cylinders from day 1.

That said, if Rowett doesn't fancy him, a move may be his best option. Most Derby fans would hope not, but the fee level quoted alone should make this a non-starter.

But from an external perspective, Rowett would be mad to not 'fancy' him. He's the sort of player that can win games on their own.

It baffles me how Derby haven't challenged for promotion recently considering the players at the different managers' disposal.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
One of those players you dread to see playing or coming on against you. For the right money, if Chris thinks his recent attitude issues and injury issues can be overcome, I think he'd be great.

Clearly his potential hasn't been able to be fulfilled at Derby

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Almost as if NSC threads are prescient.

Here comes the rumour ... story in the Mirror this morning.

willhughes.png

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah, it's not like we can suggest that the area around Derby is a shithole either, so we won't be swinging it on location. I think Liverpool and a couple of other clubs have been interested in him in the past. Honestly can't see us being able to get him and certainly not at 4 million!
Exactly. They've got Alton Towers which trumps the Palace Pier.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Some interesting rumours over the last few days. If we signed Hughes, Musa, Kjaer, Onomah and Abraham I think we'd only be a couple of full backs from a very decent squad.
Of course, 'if' being the operative word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here