Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hughes anyone?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I rate him as well. Not far off 200 games played at his age is great, and he is genuinely influential, even if it doesn't reflect in goals scored.

To be honest I'm glad to see him in the prem. It feels inevitable anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good buy at that price. 50-50 as to whether will develop into a 'proper' PL player but that's not bad odds. 5M would have been daylight robbery but 12-15 you can get a more finished article with similar youth if don't mind him not being British.

Watford always make the Championship Manager signings though due to links and this does scream that again. 17th felt about right last season so expect they need good players right now not prospects like WH

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i Would have done that deal at that price and structure .but there again i am not part of the BHAFC recruitment team

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He's too small for the Premier league. He will be blown away at that level.

He's over 6ft. Hardly small. No-one can know how he'll be in the Premier league but we do know that we need more creativity, energy and guile in midfield so he would have ticked a lot of boxes for me. And he's left-footed and not over-priced, a rare thing these days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's too small for the Premier league. He will be blown away at that level.

Cazorla, Mata, Kante, Ericsson, Ramsey, Lanzini, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Lallana.

Hughes is still young, so he'll naturally gain strength. With pace and power beside him in the Watford CM, his creative game should eventually flourish.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Cazorla, Mata, Kante, Ericsson, Ramsey, Lanzini, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Lallana.

Hughes is still young, so he'll naturally gain strength. With pace and power beside him in the Watford CM, his creative game should eventually flourish.

Exactly. Very similar to Pritchard and we were willing to splash the cash on him.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
It will be interesting to bump this thread at the end of the season. If I am proved to be wrong then I will hold my hand up, but I doubt it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dale's been in a better team, might have something to do with. Hughes is a talented player.

The difference is quite substantial.

Hughes style is easier on the eye. Dale Stephens is over 5% better on passing and he makes less short passes and passing is meant to be Hughes strong point. Add in the less than average defensive contribution and lack of aerial ability of Hughes, I think it is a mismatch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stephens and Hughes are completely different types of central midfielder.

Stephens is all rounder, strong in the tackle, powerful, combative and great at covering his central defenders.

Hughes is more tenacious than he appears, but he's a gifted creator.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
superb player on his day

Derby sure do know how to make bad decisions

main reason he wanted to move on is lack of stability re five managers across last two seasons

give it six months Rowett will be sacked too

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
superb player on his day

Derby sure do know how to make bad decisions

main reason he wanted to move on is lack of stability re five managers across last two seasons

give it six months Rowett will be sacked too

Derby should have given Clement a longer stint. Overall, he turned round the relegation-bound mess left by Monk and Bradley at Swansea.

It's not just the arrogant Derby owner, the Derby fans wanted Clement out and still slag him off.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stephens and Hughes are completely different types of central midfielder.

Stephens is all rounder, strong in the tackle, powerful, combative and great at covering his central defenders.

Hughes is more tenacious than he appears, but he's a gifted creator.

3rd game in.

I prefer Sidwell and Kayal to Hughes as well. But none of the four I would call an exceptional creator and scorer of goals. .

I'm betting on that Dale Stephens will be involved in scoring more goals than Will Hughes next season even at a position of defensive midfielder. It is not as though Hughes is even quick.

PS; interesting well written and more knowledgeable than most articles at:

Pragmatic Hughton will make Brighton hard to beat
https://www.premierleague.com/news/422319

I'm with Liam Rosenoir, when it gets going, the Albion will realise that we can compete. And I prefer Rosenior to Will Hughes as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here