Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fatboyslim's BHAFC celebration at Wildlife

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
FBS should have hung up his decks a long, long time ago and binned the stupid Hawaiian shirts. If he was still a Palace fan I doubt there would be half the love on here that there is. The Housemartins were rather good though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
:smile:

I'm genuinely curious if [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] is comparing him to the current British, mainland European or the EDM lot over the pond. I am just curious though. My own take is I rarely care if music is current, creative, relevant, honest or whatever. Sometimes I like someone for their creativity sometimes I like someone purely because it's fun. Fatboy is definitely the latter. Do you always need to push the boundaries? No, you don't. If Fatboy didn't turn up with enough lasers, dry ice, air horns and smiley graphics then I'd complain.

Incidentally I'm seeing Fatboy next month and he is playing a 4 hour set which he has said is the longest he's played for 20 years. I'll let you know how I get on

#WrongSideOf40HaveNotDancedForThatLongIn20YearsMyself

i'll post a few bits later on when i get home....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
FWIW, Fatboy Slim was f*cking excellent live and probably drew the biggest crowd all weekend.

Then again, it's probably not worth taking you seriously if you think that David Guetta is a cultural reference in 2017. :lolol:

he had the future music festival bouncing in perth a few years back i must admit albeit with " classics "........just think he's resting on his laurels a bit and should/could surprise us with a bit of new material....David Guetta is to decent music as Fred Dineage is to avant garde jazz.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
you could search you tube for
BENOBO
TRENTMOLLER
MATEO&MATOS
BOO WILLIAMS
RON TRENT
TORNADO WALLACE
JAH WOBBLE with or without BILL LASWELL
KERRI CHANDLER.........the list is endless....:thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've searched, but I can't find any posts from sydney on the subject of avant garde jazz. So on that basis, I would say no, he isn't :lolol:

ThpYjm7.gif

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the hundreds of dj / producers putting out progressive , new dance music.......will always love norm for his affiliation with the club but after seeing him live a few times and hearing him play exactly the same set ....well.

I understand there's loads, and Britain has a great current crop (as usual). Was just curious. Thanks for your list.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I understand there's loads, and Britain has a great current crop (as usual). Was just curious. Thanks for your list.

yep ...Brits are at the forefront of the perpetual musical evolution......i love my music , house , acid jazz , jazz funk , .......youtube is the nutz , just click away and yer weekend is gone.....:smokin:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Hey, I am in no way criticising here. I love the nostalgia of the sixties, the era I grew up in. I just don't think Fatboy Slim is cutting edge in 2017 :shrug:

You are probably right, he is a Brighton legend and rightly so!

Sorry, didn't my comment to come across quite as aggressively and rudely as it did.

I'm 23, and have some nostalgia for FBS, mainly due to old season review VHS tapes I watched as a nipper. Even know songs like Demons reminds me of a 1-0 loss to Chesterfield (Oatway sent off too?) and Nathan Jones "stepovers" to Weapon of Choice. However even without that I'd have been to see him, everyone I know who'd seen him live before has enjoyed it, and I've seen a couple of live performances on YouTube and they're EXACTLY what you want when you've been off your tits for 12 hours.

FWIW, he released a new single less than a month ago, so whilst he's maybe not quite as cutting edge as he was in the late 90's/ early 00's, he's still churning out music he's still entertaining people, and he's playing almost every festival in Britain this year so he's obviously still seen as a draw.

Being part of the 'scene' for a long time, FBS is definitely not regarded as a well respected DJ. Quite the opposite. He is paid A LOT (and I mean a lot) of money to put on a show, hence the big LED screens, f***ing awful EDM he plays and acting into a camera. I very much doubt he enjoys playing the music he does nowadays TBH, but that's his brand now, and he's very successful with it!

He has made some incredible music as well.

Worded what I meant very badly, I meant respected by the general public. Maybe respected wasn't the right choice of word.

Almost every person I know who I spoke to before Wildlife was most excited about Fatboy Slim. In previous years there's never been one act that EVERYONE wanted to see, but FBS was in everyone's top 2/3 acts to see. That was what I was getting at, as I said poorly worded.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Well, I saw him at Amnesia on Thursday night. Wasn't for me as it was a bit slow but lots of people enjoyed it. Paul Van Dyk's set on the other hand was top notch - but that's my taste!
I saw PVD b2b Tiesto over 10 years ago that was amazing!!! Love the ice cannon 🙌

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
My daughter and her mates are all aged 19-20, they were blown away by Fat Boy, on Friday night. Not really my cup of tea, but well done Norman, keep up trhe entertainment.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My daughter and her mates are all aged 19-20, they were blown away by Fat Boy, on Friday night. Not really my cup of tea, but well done Norman, keep up trhe entertainment.

In my head, it's a little like going to a Status Quo gig .... you know the music isn't top notch, but it's a great atmosphere for all.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Dance music is such a horses for courses subject. There's so many different scenes and they've all got a dedicated following and a group of promoters, producers and DJs who dedicate their lives to putting on parties. FBS puts on a good show, he's not cutting edge or pushing any boundaries, but you don't need to do any of that to have a good time.

This reminds me of something another DJ said last year:

“I’m out there playing and I’m looking at people’s faces, and for me that’s what it’s all about. Blowing people’s mind and having a good time, and presenting something quality but without too much beard stroking, you know? I hope that makes sense.” “the more popular you get, the more shit you’re going to get.”
And if you don’t like what’s being played in a big parade, then don’t go. Just go and buy your vinyl and sit and listen to it where the whole world can’t hear it. Invite your friends and play the track in the basement once. You’re going to be the most underground person ever,” -Adam Beyer
https://djmag.com/news/adam-beyer-code-belief

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here