Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country pub for food near Arundel ish

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even though i've lived in the area (Fittleworth) for all bar 10 years of my life, it wasn't until...2009 or so i knew about it when a friend living in Bignor suggested it. Even turns out its popular with the Goodwood fans when the FoS is on - had a great night with some Dutch attendees a few years back.

Whilst I'm a big fan of the more popular 'summer' pubs (Black Rabbit, the White Hart at Stopham back in its day) there's still a bit of a soft spot for the White Horse.. let's not mention it anymore though, it can be our secret :lolol:
Yeah now you come to mention it I don't the The White Horse actually exists, I think I only dreamt about it.

We had one of our worst experiences in your local, The Swan, ages ago.
The landlord was so objectionable he spent the whole time of our visit (a rapidly drunk pint) seriously berating all the staff.
He was horrible, and certainly stopped us from ordering food.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's certainly all about location location location.
Sutton is well signed, as there's nothing else to write on the signposts.
The road naturally take you to the pub, although the longer route round does have the advantage of missing the 20% slope.

I doubt there are many NSC'ers who even know the pub exists.
It was always a perfect stop off after the dogs had a massive tear up at Lord's Piece, although one of mine would always disgrace himself in the 'black ponds', :facepalm: making a pub stop short and not too sweet.

As you say though it's a great place for safe riding (or at least it was until some loud mouth told people of the t'internet about it).

We used to stop off there on a Sunday whilst out riding, always easy to tie up the horses, so quiet around there. haven't been for a few years now, might just take a wander over early doors this evening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We used to stop off there on a Sunday whilst out riding, always easy to tie up the horses, so quiet around there. haven't been for a few years now, might just take a wander over early doors this evening.
Me neither, anyway you can't go as we've decided it no longer exists and in fact there has never been a pub in Sutton, which is a shame. :wink: :lolol:

Come to think of it, when I took the geeks out for a ride round there I even took them round the long way, so they didn't go past it.
Top subconscious effort on my part. :lol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

it sounds like there needs to be some sort of local pub meetup...

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Live in amberley and we always go to the bridge at Houghton, beers pretty good and the food is great. Service is also top drawer and we're made to feel welcome every time. White hart at stopham is back to its former best, and always a good crowd down there. You will need to book for the George and dragon at burpham. Black rabbit in arundel is completely over rated. Haven't been there for a while but the last time the food was basically warmed up brakes brothers shite.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
The George & Dragon, Burpham.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
White hart at stopham is back to its former best, and always a good crowd down there.

it's my nearest pub (aside from the Swan) but ive not found it as enjoyable, or as popular as it was a few years back - particularly during the days they used to hold Rock By The River - had some immense days starting and finishing there, but it's a bit too overpriced now for my liking.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Regularly stay with relatives who live in Coldwaltham so have become very familiar with some of the excellent pubs in the area.

Agree with the plaudits for The George in Burpham and The Sportsman at Amberely, but a big NO to The Black Rabbit in Arundel.
I'd also add to the recommendations ; The Halfway Bridge Inn at Lodsworth (A272 between Petworth & Midhurst), Horse Guards Inn at Tillington (A272 just west of Petworth)
and current favourite, The Welldiggers Arms in Low Heath (A283 between Fittleworth & Petworth.

To be honest, drinking & eating at these mid-West Sussex pubs is reason enough in itself to warrant a trip to the UK !!

Welldiggers Arms 3.jpg

The Welldiggers Arms

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Regularly stay with relatives who live in Coldwaltham so have become very familiar with some of the excellent pubs in the area.

Agree with the plaudits for The George in Burpham and The Sportsman at Amberely, but a big NO to The Black Rabbit in Arundel.
I'd also add to the recommendations ; The Halfway Bridge Inn at Lodsworth (A272 between Petworth & Midhurst), Horse Guards Inn at Tillington (A272 just west of Petworth)
and current favourite, The Welldiggers Arms in Low Heath (A283 between Fittleworth & Petworth.

To be honest, drinking & eating at these mid-West Sussex pubs is reason enough in itself to warrant a trip to the UK !!
If we're spreading our wings a little, I've always had a soft spot for The George at Eartham.

While The Fox Goes Free, Goodwood, should cater to the sheeple on this thread recommending The Black Rabbit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
it sounds like there needs to be some sort of local pub meetup...

Going to wander over to the pub that doesn't exist in Sutton for a lunchtime refresher, sans horse mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going to wander over to the pub that doesn't exist in Sutton for a lunchtime refresher, sans horse mind.

So you're basically just going for a walk. :lol:

I'll be interested to hear how it is now, post fire, I hope they haven't gone too upmarket.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
So you're basically just going for a walk. :lol:

I'll be interested to hear how it is now, post fire, I hope they haven't gone too upmarket.

Well, where do I start? 5 beer pumps on the bar, only one beer available, Hepworths Sussex, which to be fair is very nice.

Sadly, for the rest, it's gone full on nobby, I feel out of place as I don't have a Range Rover/Jaguar and I forgot to wear my cufflinks with my jeans and formal shirt combo.

Staff are here for the summer season it would seem, at least they only need to be able to remember how to pour one type of beer.

As far as I can tell all the charm it used to have has been emulsioned over with a Farrow and Ball pale yellow. The menu has no sign of a ploughmans, a ham sandwich or a scotch egg.

Time to move on, I don't think I'll be back any time soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, where do I start? 5 beer pumps on the bar, only one beer available, Hepworths Sussex, which to be fair is very nice.

Sadly, for the rest, it's gone full on nobby, I feel out of place as I don't have a Range Rover/Jaguar and I forgot to wear my cufflinks with my jeans and formal shirt combo.

Staff are here for the summer season it would seem, at least they only need to be able to remember how to pour one type of beer.

As far as I can tell all the charm it used to have has been emulsioned over with a Farrow and Ball pale yellow. The menu has no sign of a ploughmans, a ham sandwich or a scotch egg.

Time to move on, I don't think I'll be back any time soon.

Booo, such a shame.

Sadly that's not a surprising outcome when a proper country/village pub is presented with the opportunity for change.

Oh well onwards and upwards in the search for 'West Sussex pubs nobody else knows about'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry but I wouldn't even call this place a pub. It's a cafeteria by the river. For tourists only.

Despite the other plaudits for this place I couldn't agree more. Hasn't been good since about 1988 IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here