Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Would be interested to know how many of their big money signings still get a regular game.
It isn't all about splashing loads of money, but about finding quality - which was always my point against your "we need to spend loads or we aren't ambitious" attitude!

Plucky Bournemouth and their manager (whom I think is a good one club manager) must have found quality as they are now in their third season of Prem football.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Give over. Since when did spunking money away equate to being ambitious?

They're welcome to Mooy if the £10m and £30k numbers are true. Would rather we spent astutely rather than extravagantly. Have to remember that there's a good chance we'll be back in the Championship next season and I'd be much happier knowing we're not saddled with players on exorbitant wages if it comes to it.

Sadly £30k is NOT exhorbitant wages for an average Prem player nowadays. Cheap, if anything.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Plucky Bournemouth and their manager (whom I think is a good one club manager) must have found quality as they are now in their third season of Prem football.

Yeah, I suppose he'll still be a one club manager until he moves up- I think the fact that we've still got a bulk of players from the Lge1 in the team is a testament to his coaching ability. Signings have been a bit hit and miss, but there you go. if Lewis Cook keeps improving early season then we'll have vultures circling..

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Would be interested to know how many of their big money signings still get a regular game.
It isn't all about splashing loads of money, but about finding quality - which was always my point against your "we need to spend loads or we aren't ambitious" attitude!

Ibe is the biggest let down so far. Mings was doing well until the Zlatan incident, but should still improve. Gradel is in and out of the team - he was £7 mill I think. So patchy to be honest! Hey ho..

The cheaper ones and existing players have stepped up well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah, I suppose he'll still be a one club manager until he moves up- I think the fact that we've still got a bulk of players from the Lge1 in the team is a testament to his coaching ability. Signings have been a bit hit and miss, but there you go. if Lewis Cook keeps improving early season then we'll have vultures circling..

I think a lot of the dislike on NSC towards Howe is a tinge of jealousy. The bloke is still in his 30s and has done a fantastic job, whether or not they cheated FFP.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I'm not arguing for a spending spree for the sake of it, or that that will guarantee PL safety (look at QPR's last season in the PL).

Just that, we will have to spend heavily on quality this summer and it's began already with the club record paid today, to compete in games against some of the best players in the world and to cover for the inevitable injuries.

Steve Gibson, the Boro chairman, in a rare interview or statement recently apologised to their fans for their approach to the PL season. They were cautious in the transfer market. Burnley second time around spent a lot more and survived. In the brutal PL, it's all about squad quality and that takes serious money.

As I've said before, I do think Brighton will spend. TB will not want us to be one season wonders after all the years of planning, agonies and the huge nvestment of his money.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm not arguing for a spending spree for the sake of it, or that that will guarantee PL safety (look at QPR's last season in the PL).

Just that, we will have to spend heavily on quality this summer and it's began already with the club record paid today, to compete in games against some of the best players in the world and to cover for the inevitable injuries.

Steve Gibson, the Boro chairman, in a rare interview or statement recently apologised to their fans for their approach to the PL season. They were cautious in the transfer market. Burnley second time around spent a lot more and survived. In the brutal PL, it's all about squad quality and that takes serious money.

As I've said before, I do think Brighton will spend. TB will not want us to be one season wonders after all the years of planning, agonies and the huge nvestment of his money.

It was more their extreme caution on the field that he should apologise for. Karanka made them the dullest team in the country.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

He has persuaded them to run further and harder than any of their rivals and the backing from the crowd is total and lasts the whole game. If we can match that with almost three times their home support then it will go a long way to giving us a chance to stay up. Maybe some people might even consider it worth staying until the final whistle from time to time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Striker ( 15m ), Striker ( 10m ), Central Mid ( 10m ), Winger ( 5 m ), Leftback ( 3 m ), 3rd choice GK ( free ), Maenpaa ( free ) means £43 million+ more is my guess.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I really don't see Huddersfield even getting close to staying up this season.
Mind you: at the moment we're on course to head the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here