Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If Woods scores say 12 PL goals, with goals from other striking options, and Huddersfield stay up, to me the move would have been a success. They may well be looking to add another striker too, a more nimble player with pace.

For us, I've said all along that we need a new target man who can weigh in with some goals and a pacey striker of PL class. To add to Murray and Baldock.

Only 16 players got more than 12 PL goals - that would be a very good return.

He is a better player than Vokes as well - reckon he would do well.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Apparently he's their primary target according to the reports. Woods is also being linked with Crystal Palace, Swansea, Stoke, West Ham, West Brom and Southampton so fair chance that he'll be leaving Leeds.

15m for the Championships top scorer and them being in their mid 20's isn't an unreasonable amount in todays crazy market, but given that I would be severely underwhelmed if we showed interest / he ended up here.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You could well be right, but the money that little old Huddersfield are prepared to play for a single player was a shock for me.

If that sets the tone for their spending plans this summer, I can see them 'doing a *Bournemouth', who have spent massively over the last two or three years.

*Bournemouth, pictured this morning:
The-Smiths-Heaven-knows-Im-miserable-now.png

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Apparently he's their primary target according to the reports. Woods is also being linked with Crystal Palace, Swansea, Stoke, West Ham, West Brom and Southampton so fair chance that he'll be leaving Leeds.

15m for the Championships top scorer and them being in their mid 20's isn't an unreasonable amount in todays crazy market, but given that I would be severely underwhelmed if we showed interest / he ended up here.

Agreed. I think there will be better value overseas, which is where I think we'll get a striker from if Abraham goes to Newcastle.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Did he start or did he only play a few minutes as a sub in those games for Leicester?

His games and goal for West Brom came when in 2009/10, when he was just 18 (how many players plying their trade in the PL were good enough at 18 for that level?)

Players get better with experience and he has just had a prolific season for Leeds and his game is about being in the right place at the right time to score and using his strength rather than relying speed so he may do well in the PL next season.

Was Murray good enough for the PL at the age Wood is now, or have the years of experience made the difference and turned him into someone who is?

On the basis of judging / condemning a player based on their record as a youngster, how would any player move up the football pyramid as surely they don't get better over time and to be in that level, they must have already peaked and never will improve or develop (according to some on NSC anyway)

No doubt he's improved over the years as you would expect - some players do go the other way. No doubt he's worth a punt on giving him an EPL chance but I'm glad it's Huddersfield showing an interest and not us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Most of Huddersfield's key performers were loan players.
They are going to have to spend a lot more than we will to improve on last year's squad.

Is Chris Wood really a better bet than Murray in the Prem?
I'm not so sure about that.

You need to play a certain way for Woods to score goals. His successful periods were at Millwall and Leeds and Birmingham to a lesser extent. All those teams got the ball wide and provided crosses. At Millwall they had James Henry and Liam Feeney playing wide and providing lots of crosses.

At Birmingham they had Chris Burke and Nathan Redmond and last year at Leeds they pushed their full backs forward who provided the crosses. There is no way that Huddersfield will play two wide men. That's not the way Wagner plays so Huddersfield are welcome to spunk £15m against the wall on a player who's movement is limited and Premiership defenders will eat that up.

Is he better than Murray. Of course not but I don't see Murray being a first choice next year either but he will be a decent option from the bench.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is he better than Murray. Of course not but I don't see Murray being a first choice next year either but he will be a decent option from the bench.

Who do you think will be our first choices then?

May 24, 2017
TBA or should say TBS

I wouldn't hold your breath i were you..... Ambition isn't a word that's approved of on this forum... 'cheap'.. 'value'... those are words we appreciate... along with 'scouting network'...two words we love on here... sadly though as highlighted on this thread while the rest of the Premier league is shopping at Harrods our 'scouting network' is busy pushing their trolley around Aldi.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wouldn't hold your breath i were you..... Ambition isn't a word that's approved of on this forum... 'cheap'.. 'value'... those are words we appreciate... along with 'scouting network'...two words we love on here... sadly though as highlighted on this thread while the rest of the Premier league is shopping at Harrods our 'scouting network' is busy pushing their trolley around Aldi.

I win the bet, you are clearly not a Brighton fan.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You need to play a certain way for Woods to score goals. His successful periods were at Millwall and Leeds and Birmingham to a lesser extent. All those teams got the ball wide and provided crosses. At Millwall they had James Henry and Liam Feeney playing wide and providing lots of crosses.

At Birmingham they had Chris Burke and Nathan Redmond and last year at Leeds they pushed their full backs forward who provided the crosses. There is no way that Huddersfield will play two wide men. That's not the way Wagner plays so Huddersfield are welcome to spunk £15m against the wall on a player who's movement is limited and Premiership defenders will eat that up.

Good summary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I recognise your style. I used to do this sort of thing on another club's forum just to stir things up, but always referring to them as 'we.' Eventually I tired of it.

#twats

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A Bournemouth fan, one of 10,000 at the non-league Lego ground. 80% of your posts are w*nking over Howe. Cringeworthy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Is that based on the first signing being German ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I take your point re the 'ambition' angle - fair play - but Chris Wood hardly set the Premier League alight playing three times for WBA and seven for Leicester City scoring one goal in the process.

what was Vardy's record at a similar age?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Quite like Aldi and Lidl ....good value for money

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Palace troll zzzzzzzzzz

:tumble:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here