Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its amazing to see there has only been 20 (now) signings when you consider all the gossip in the papers.

From memory, don't loads of signings get announced from 1st July onwards, when the window officially opens?

Until then a game is played, with allegedly no discussions between buying clubs and their targets.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Wise words. Every year the usual suspects shit their pants at the seeming lack of transfer activity and every year we seem to get the right people in.

Agree except the Burke/Hyppia disaster season three seasons ago!! Not gonna happen this time though!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From memory, don't loads of signings get announced from 1st July onwards, when the window officially opens?

Until then a game is played, with allegedly no discussions between buying clubs and their targets.

Don't think it really matters - if a fee is agreed and the clubs are happy you can announce it.

The only thing that may increase is the free transfers.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
It's early days in the transfer window, things have been quiet across the board and will perk up in July. Clubs across the land will be busy negotiating and teeing up many players, some of whom will complete in July and August and some of whom will fall by the wayside. The main thing is that Brighton are busy doing likewise ready to wrap these deals up in the next couple of months. Premier League transfers are more expensive and more complicated compared with lower league deals and as such they take time. I'm sure the club have it under control, no need to panic just yet!

As for fees and suchlike, there are two ways you can go about it and I don't the two are mutually exclusive. Big money gets you players you can feel somewhat confident in (but never guaranteed) that they'll do ok. Ake for example has played for Bournemouth before and also Watford before that, so they know he'll do ok. Though I must admit big money from Huddersfield for Wood seems a bit risky because his career suggests the Championship might be is level. Or there are cheaper unknown quantities who are complete gambles. Some of those pay off big time, others don't work out. So far I think Brighton's business falls in the latter category, such as Gross, I would suggest a couple in the former group are required at some point, but a mixture of the two types of transfer is a good approach.

Summer transfers are put under the microscope because there's naff all else going on and supporters and press are board, looking for anything to talk about!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Thanks for the link. Really useful reminder for some of the less patient posters on here that we are not behind other teams (and in fact are in front of many).

For all the fuss about Huddersfield (mainly from the OP of this thread), their only signing so far is a player whose goal scoring record for Porto last season, and the previous leagues he played in, would be slated on here if we signed him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
All the details and connected - If Chelsea get in Bakayoko they are going to look likely to off load loftus cheek on loan.

Just need a few more in's for United/Chelsea/City for the window to get going.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
It's early days in the transfer window, things have been quiet across the board and will perk up in July. Clubs across the land will be busy negotiating and teeing up many players, some of whom will complete in July and August and some of whom will fall by the wayside. The main thing is that Brighton are busy doing likewise ready to wrap these deals up in the next couple of months. Premier League transfers are more expensive and more complicated compared with lower league deals and as such they take time. I'm sure the club have it under control, no need to panic just yet!

As for fees and suchlike, there are two ways you can go about it and I don't the two are mutually exclusive. Big money gets you players you can feel somewhat confident in (but never guaranteed) that they'll do ok. Ake for example has played for Bournemouth before and also Watford before that, so they know he'll do ok. Though I must admit big money from Huddersfield for Wood seems a bit risky because his career suggests the Championship might be is level. Or there are cheaper unknown quantities who are complete gambles. Some of those pay off big time, others don't work out. So far I think Brighton's business falls in the latter category, such as Gross, I would suggest a couple in the former group are required at some point, but a mixture of the two types of transfer is a good approach.

Summer transfers are put under the microscope because there's naff all else going on and supporters and press are board, looking for anything to talk about!

Good post. We really like Ake..but...we weren't that amazing defensively (not that we are brilliant in that department anyway) when he was in the side. But he can play in the PL, as you said and can pop up and score a few too - scored for us again Stoke, Soton and Liverpool.

£15 million - and I'd feel happier

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really. One hasn't been confirmed yet and the other doesn't sound any better than our current strikers. If we had signed the player they've got from Porto, there would have been a lot of moaning on here given his record

The Porto's players stats and history seem very modest to say the least, but Wagner was ecstatic about the signing. What does he know that everyone else is missing?

Huddersfield's (alleged) transfer business seems very public this summer, long before players have signed on the dotted line. I'd rather ours stay out of the media, until they're confirmed business.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

The window is already open but most players contracts end on the 30th June, hence why many prearranged transfers get announced in the first days of July.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Bertrand Traore just been sold for 10 million euros. Would have been ideal for us

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We may not be behind other Premier League teams, but barring two of them, they already have squads that proved strong enough to stay in the top division. We have a lot of strengthening to do and the sooner the players are in, obviously the better our chances of staying up will be. Not that I'm being impatient of course, I'm just trying to look at it from the perspective of those that are.:whistle:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may not be behind other Premier League teams, but barring two of them, they already have squads that proved strong enough to stay in the top division. We have a lot of strengthening to do and the sooner the players are in, obviously the better our chances of staying up will be. Not that I'm being impatient of course, I'm just trying to look at it from the perspective of those that are.:whistle:
Indeed.

Instead of looking at how many deals have been done, the key factor is how many more still need to be done.

Albion are on 8 signings required ( 2 GK, LB, CB, CM, RW, 2 ST ). Other than Huddersfield, how many still have that many deals to do ? ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reading between the lines in today's Argus it seems we are being primed for a lower key signing spree than some are hoping for. Interestingly the Argus now seems to be implying that the Abraham deal has slipped away too, having said, last week, that we were still hopeful even with Swansea throwing their hat in the ring too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here