Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I have absolute faith that the club are simply strategically playing the media - every time one of the senior hierarchy gets in front of a camera they're asked for a quote and will respond with the party line.

No one is setting us up for a fall rather trying to approach it our way.

The relative expectations are very different but well worth reading the below in Northampton Town's Chinese take over and what their Chairman says about squad strengthening:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-one-chinese-takeover?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Which brings us back to the question of transfer policy and the calibre of player that the manager, Justin Edinburgh, can look forward to working with from now on. Thomas suggests the club is not about to launch into an extravagant shopping spree. “There is money available and we’ve been talking about our playing budget but we’re not going to say how much because all of a sudden wage demand go up, etc,” says Thomas. “We’ve got some targets in mind but we have to be careful that we don’t rush out and start spending a bunch of money on players. They’ve still got to be the right player. We probably expect a centre-half here and there and another good goalkeeper but I think our squad is already good. This investment just give us a little bit more flexibility in some of our decisions.”

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think club needs to be careful, or squad won't be competitive, whilst we understand it's a crazy transfer market, we are also well aware that the REWARDS of promotion to PL are about 170 million, so much of that invariably goes on the team....

£100m for season one.

The other £70m is the parachute money over several subsequent seasons, should we go straight back down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was beginning to form that impression myself. It feels like its going to be a relatively quiet window and fans need to lower their radars. Maybe CH feels he has enough ammunition to survive? Time will tell.

We absolutely have NOT got the ammunition. For example, Hemed, Murray and Baldock won't score enough against top flight and international defenders to keep us us, our fullbacks won't be able to live with the pace of an array of highly skilled widemen, and March/Skalak won't skin most PL defences.

Not a doom and gloom view, as I think we will spend heavily this summer, on the basis that TB is determined for us to stay in the PL.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I agree, we have always been very prudent. Every year expectations etc are managed. This year of course we have money to spend, but we won't spend 30 million on one player..... Sean Dyche has commented today that brighton and Newcastle have bigger wage budgets than him ( from last year) so that makes for interesting thinking

You'll get used to Dyche again and his obsession with other clubs finances. He always tends to forget about their signings.

If they've got no money again, then someone is trousering a lot of money up there, especially as they sorted their ground infrastructure a while back too..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am so surprised ( not really surprised) that so many on here seem reluctant to trust the hierarchy in their approach, which has been so consistent for the last two seasons if not longer and has bought us more success than we could have hoped for. Keeping stuff quiet just makes sense for so many reasons, but many refuse to believe that this doesn't hide a disjointed, unplanned, or unsuccessful approach to transfers. We will lose out on some players for any number of reasons, but one of them is unlikely to be because of poor planning. Availability, Fees, wages, add-ons, attitude, etc etc will add/remove players from our target list on an on-going basis. Sharing that with NSC probably doesn't feature on the plan..

Squeaky bum time, but it's two months too early! It's the impatience of football fans when it appears that other clubs are stealing a march.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You'll get used to Dyche again and his obsession with other clubs finances. He always tends to forget about their signings.

If they've got no money again, then someone is trousering a lot of money up there, especially as they sorted their ground infrastructure a while back too..

Burnley do spend their money.

Some managers do this every Summer and in January to pressurise their Boards to spend. Rafa, Pulis, Poyet, Bruce, Pardew all play this game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Burnley do spend their money.

Some managers do this every Summer and in January to pressurise their Boards to spend. Rafa, Pulis, Poyet, Bruce, Pardew all play this game.

Now there's a wealth of class and sophistication.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An international collection of wide-boys. I forgot the master, Allerdyce!!

Shirley 'wide boys' is a rather large clue as to who else is missing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We absolutely have NOT got the ammunition. For example, Hemed, Murray and Baldock won't score enough against top flight and international defenders to keep us us, our fullbacks won't be able to live with the pace of an array of highly skilled widemen, and March/Skalak won't skin most PL defences.

Not a doom and gloom view, as I think we will spend heavily this summer, on the basis that TB is determined for us to stay in the PL.

Hard to argue that what we have at present is woefully short of good enough. TB will know it too, we have no choice but to spend big, whatever noises the club are making about not going mad on spending.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Hard to argue that what we have at present is woefully short of good enough. TB will know it too, we have no choice but to spend big, whatever noises the club are making about not going mad on spending.

Agree 100%, I imagine club had thought they could get some 5-8 million pound players in and they are all now 12-20 million pound players so things are a a serious upward learning curve. Let's face it, we can understand a haggle over 3 million pound left back.... But surely the real deals And issues will be on the BIG/ crucial signings.....CM, Strikers etc..

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Agree 100%, I imagine club had thought they could get some 5-8 million pound players in and they are all now 12-20 million pound players so things are a a serious upward learning curve. Let's face it, we can understand a haggle over 3 million pound left back.... But surely the real deals And issues will be on the BIG/ crucial signings.....CM, Strikers etc..
All transfer fee funds to be redirected towards 2 strikers and a central midfielder, perhaps.

Loans and frees for the winger, leftback, central defender and goalies ? ???

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We need some top quality in the middle...Stephens will be fine but won't score and the rest won't be good enough I'm afraid.Murray and hemed won't be anywhere good enough,I would not have offered Murray a silly contract at that age and would release hemed as well as sidwell and a fair few others.I know we're a very loyal club and run brilliantly but we had to be ruthless and this may come back to bite us hard.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We won't spend anywhere near what Swansea are. Most are accepting a season of struggle. 17th will suffice but could be hard to achieve

Well I hope Bloom, Barber, Hughton and Winstanley aren't accepting of that.

After the years of toil, heartache and shed loads of TB's money in finally getting to the PL; that would be a massive let down.

We need to invest heavily to stay up.

Even the normally modest Dutchman Ronald De Boer said that he's "excited to spend a lot of money".

SAC

May 21, 2014
We won't spend anywhere near what Swansea are. Most are accepting a season of struggle. 17th will suffice but could be hard to achieve

I suspect that even after spending that sort of money, Swansea will be in the mix of half a dozen (or more) clubs struggling and fighting it out at the bottom of the table.

May 24, 2017
I suspect that even after spending that sort of money, Swansea will be in the mix of half a dozen (or more) clubs struggling and fighting it out at the bottom of the table.

You're absolutely right....that's a bit of common sense that should wake up even the most deluded Brighton fan....what chance do we have?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Glenn has more Premier League experience playing 52 games for Palace and Bournemouth but only scoring 11 goals but I'd still take him over Wood.

I agree and I still rue the day we let him go to Palace on a free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here