Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Don't think Chris Wood is the answer - especially at £15m.

Cost = fee x wages over term of contract.

I'd think Wood comes out relatively cheap compared to the market. I'm not sure £15m + c£35k a week buys very much at all such is the absurdity of football finance

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't think Chris Wood is the answer - especially at £15m.

You could well be right, but the money that little old Huddersfield are prepared to play for a single player was a shock for me.

If that sets the tone for their spending plans this summer, I can see them 'doing a Bournemouth', who have spent massively over the last two or three years.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
You could well be right, but the money that little old Huddersfield are prepared to play for a single player was a shock for me.

If that sets the tone for their spending plans this summer, I can see them 'doing a Bournemouth', who have spent massively over the last two or three years.

I take your point re the 'ambition' angle - fair play - but Chris Wood hardly set the Premier League alight playing three times for WBA and seven for Leicester City scoring one goal in the process.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I take your point re the 'ambition' angle - fair play - but Chris Wood hardly set the Premier League alight playing three times for WBA and seven for Leicester City scoring one goal in the process.

If it further weakens Leeds along with losing a good manager it might make Stockdale have second thoughts ( assuming he even had first ones) Anyway, anything that derails Leeds is OK with me

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

In fairness he is a much more effective player now and has learnt a lot over the last couple of years. Whether he is sufficiently good to score 20 premiershit goals a season remains to be seen. I can see where Huddersfield are coming from though.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If it further weakens Leeds along with losing a good manager it might make Stockdale have second thoughts ( assuming he even had first ones) Anyway, anything that de rails Leeds is OK with me

Fair point - however on the Stockdale question I'm not concerned if he goes. I was until news that Maty Ryan was on the verge of signing - think he'll be a far better no. 1 with Niki Maenpaa a very good backup - don't see that DS would fit into that set up even though there's talk of the three.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In fairness he is a much more effective player now and has learnt a lot over the last couple of years. Whether he is sufficiently good to score 20 premiershit goals a season remains to be seen. I can see where Huddersfield are coming from though.

If Woods scores say 12 PL goals, with goals from other striking options, and Huddersfield stay up, to me the move would have been a success. They may well be looking to add another striker too, a more nimble player with pace.

For us, I've said all along that we need a new target man who can weigh in with some goals and a pacey striker of PL class. To add to Murray and Baldock.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

And most of their big money signings have hardly played.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Most of Huddersfield's key performers were loan players.
They are going to have to spend a lot more than we will to improve on last year's squad.

Is Chris Wood really a better bet than Murray in the Prem?
I'm not so sure about that.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Most of Huddersfield's key performers were loan players.
They are going to have to spend a lot more than we will to improve on last year's squad.

Is Chris Wood really a better bet than Murray in the Prem?
I'm not so sure about that.

Glenn has more Premier League experience playing 52 games for Palace and Bournemouth but only scoring 11 goals but I'd still take him over Wood.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The reality is that Huddersfield have to replace a substantial amount more of their squad than we do due to the amount of loans they had. That costs money.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Did he start or did he only play a few minutes as a sub in those games for Leicester?

His games and goal for West Brom came when in 2009/10, when he was just 18 (how many players plying their trade in the PL were good enough at 18 for that level?)

Players get better with experience and he has just had a prolific season for Leeds and his game is about being in the right place at the right time to score and using his strength rather than relying speed so he may do well in the PL next season.

Was Murray good enough for the PL at the age Wood is now, or have the years of experience made the difference and turned him into someone who is?

On the basis of judging / condemning a player based on their record as a youngster, how would any player move up the football pyramid as surely they don't get better over time and to be in that level, they must have already peaked and never will improve or develop (according to some on NSC anyway)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here