Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
You're absolutely right....that's a bit of common sense that should wake up even the most deluded Brighton fan....what chance do we have?

I find it amazing, and I may be deluded, but I find it hard to stomach that people on here are giving up on our chances before we have even kicked a ball. Can't we just suck it and see??

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I find it amazing, and I may be deluded, but I find it hard to stomach that people on here are giving up on our chances before we have even kicked a ball. Can't we just suck it and see??

Not with the current team. If we wait to see how we get on BEFORE we strengthen further we're f@cked. The Premier League is brutal and unforgiving. By the time you realise you're not good enough you're adrift and nobody wants to sign. THIS is our one chance to get it right.

However, I do trust the Albion to get it right. Patience.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The poster is mischief-making palace.

Of course, he'll protest too much about this comment in a minute....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree and I still rue the day we let him go to Palace on a free.

Loved Muzza here the first time, gutted when he left (a cock up by someone, but you get conflicting views as to whether it was Poyet's or Bloom's fault), but elated that he came back. Better late than ever, we wouldn't be in the PL without his stack of vital goals.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Not with the current team. If we wait to see how we get on BEFORE we strengthen further we're f@cked. The Premier League is brutal and unforgiving. By the time you realise you're not good enough you're adrift and nobody wants to sign. THIS is our one chance to get it right.

You are probably right and maybe I am just over excited about it all. :cheery::cheery:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The poster is mischief-making palace.

Of course, he'll protest too much about this comment in a minute....

Are Palace fans intelligent enough to make mischief??

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
IMHO a quality midfielder and striker would make an instant difference, that's the spine of the side. Get that right and you're on the right track. If that pair cost 25m to get in - it has to be done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Suck it and see with the squad as its stands on 28th June, would IMO be a definite relegation. A lack of top flight quality finishers, goal scoring CM'ers, wingers able to beat PL defenders other than AK, one CB if the narrative on NSC is right than Goldson will go out on loan, and fullbacks able to handle the pace/skill/power of Mane, Zaha, Salah, Redmond, etc coming at them.

But TB isn't going to blow this.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Suck it and see with the squad as its stands on 28th June, would IMO be a definite relegation. A lack of top flight quality finishers, goal scoring CM'ers, wingers able to beat PL defenders other than AK, one CB if the narrative on NSC is right than Goldson will go out on loan, and fullbacks able to handle the pace/skill/power of Mane, Zaha, Salah, Redmond, etc coming at them.

But TB isn't going to blow this.

But my point is people are writing the team off when we don't know what the team will look like when the season starts. I know being a Brighton fan is all about the highs and lows but I would at least like to start the season on a high.

I hope you are right.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting Argus piece today about Abraham. £1m signing on fee? Ridiculous. His agent seems to have forgotten that the point of a loan is to give his client regular first team experience he has no chance of achieving at his own club, where he's soon to be pocketing 50k a week anyway. Absolutely right for Albion to move on. Any player that has the attitude they're doing us a favour is a terrible idea.

As for Swansea being on the same budget because of TV money - absolutely not true. They have several years of Premier League bunce behind them (and will be a more attractive proposition anyway to prospective signings because of that track record).

Not worried at all about Huddersfield piling into the market early. If you chuck enough money around it must be easy to attract players - especially ones that aren't good enough. I'd hope our relative tardiness is because we're competing for players that have plentiful options. As Hughton says, others will become available in the shake down (and some of our targets may realise we're their best choice).

We might not end up with all the players we want, but if we can't improve on what we have already then may as well spend very little. Better than spunking a fortune on mediocrity and still getting relegated (which could be the Huddersfield model at the moment).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

To be fair, we do have THREE PL games before the window slams shut and we need to name the 25.

Not many, admittedly.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Interesting Argus piece today about Abraham. £1m signing on fee? Ridiculous. His agent seems to have forgotten that the point of a loan is to give his client regular first team experience he has no chance of achieving at his own club, where he's soon to be pocketing 50k a week anyway. Absolutely right for Albion to move on. Any player that has the attitude they're doing us a favour is a terrible idea.

As for Swansea being on the same budget because of TV money - absolutely not true. They have several years of Premier League bunce behind them (and will be a more attractive proposition anyway to prospective signings because of that track record).

Not worried at all about Huddersfield piling into the market early. If you chuck enough money around it must be easy to attract players - especially ones that aren't good enough. I'd hope our relative tardiness is because we're competing for players that have plentiful options. As Hughton says, others will become available in the shake down (and some of our targets may realise we're their best choice).

We might not end up with all the players we want, but if we can't improve on what we have already then may as well spend very little. Better than spunking a fortune on mediocrity and still getting relegated (which could be the Huddersfield model at the moment).
Totally agree and he's certainly not worth anywhere near 50k a week and I'm glad we won't be interested in yet another money grabbing unproven youngster at this level.
Bristol city just spent over £5 million on a striker too :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But my point is people are writing the team off when we don't know what the team will look like when the season starts. I know being a Brighton fan is all about the highs and lows but I would at least like to start the season on a high.

I hope you are right.

I'm not. Will reassess the squad mid August and 1st September.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not. Will reassess the squad mid August and 1st September.

To be honest, this thread feels like you are. The subject for starters suggested to me that you were saying we aren't ambitious. And, as I've said before, for all the talk on this thread Huddersfield have only actually signed one player so far and have a weaker squad than last season with Mooy, Brown, Palmer and Ward all gone. During that season, they finished 12 points below us.

May 24, 2017
To be honest, this thread feels like you are. The subject for starters suggested to me that you were saying we aren't ambitious. And, as I've said before, for all the talk on this thread Huddersfield have only actually signed one player so far and have a weaker squad than last season with Mooy, Brown, Palmer and Ward all gone. During that season, they finished 12 points below us.

Whether or not we finish above Huddersfield is beside the point.....it's how far we'll finish above them...we will more than likely need a gap of more than 12 pts to ensure safety .....the fact that they are strengthening and we....well we're not....makes this task highly unlikely.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Whether or not we finish above Huddersfield is beside the point.....it's how far we'll finish above them...we will more than likely need a gap of more than 12 pts to ensure safety .....the fact that they are strengthening and we....well we're not....makes this task highly unlikely.

In June? Seriously? I know you are a WUM but at least attempt to make sense.

And, if you read my post, it clearly states that Huddersfield are weaker (not stronger) currently than last season.

And the reason for focusing on Huddersfield in my post was that the thread is about them.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

They are strengthening? You might want to read his post again, then remind yourself we've signed 2players and it's June.

May 24, 2017
They are strengthening? You might want to read his post again, then remind yourself we've signed 2players and it's June.

You're not going to count those two signings as evidence of progress are you?....1 Aussie GK and a player from a relegated German team no ones ever heard of!.....come on....and i'm called a WUM!
Btw if you read my post properly i said that Huddersfield were Strengthening.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You're not going to count those two signings as evidence of progress are you?....1 Aussie GK and a player from a relegated German team no ones ever heard of!.....come on....and i'm called a WUM!
Btw if you read my post properly i said that Huddersfield were Strengthening.

You're a WUM or a simpleton. Either way, I'm out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here