Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As i said on another thread, if you're old enough to pay tax and serve in the armed forces, you're old enough to vote

You have to pay tax as a child if you earn over the personal allowance.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not at all have you been on the whacky???

Actually I suspect most would agree with DaveinSouthampton. It's comical to blame this effective defeat for the Tories on the fact that the young turned out to vote. There are people of all ages who are too dumb to vote but they still get the chance. People who believe every thing that Paul Dacre publishes, those that change their mind on the basis of a Sun headline, etc etc.

What other qualifying criteria should there be? Have to own a house, pass a basic intelligence test, earn over a certain amount.

Get over it. May and her close cronies screwed up. Should never have called an election but I suspect they were concerned about the investigations into campaign funding and that that might erode the slim majority they had. As it turned out only one MP has been charged!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.

Great plan! Change the boundaries to aid the Tories in the next general election (confirmed already), ban young people from voting until you have a chance to fill their heads with greed and selfishness and knock all ideology out of them, then see what's left to stifle.

Not a bad plan. Could just work you know. I hear Theresa is looking for a new manifesto writer and campaign team. Worth applying?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

There were many older people gullible enough to vote Labour. Perhaps a ban on voting for anyone but the conservatives would save people from themselves.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No it bloody shouldn't. My step daughter is a few weeks off 16 and we were discussing the election the other day. Despite doing Media Studies which includes a bit of politics she had little idea of policies or consequences. We discussed immigration and she thinks anyone from anywhere should come here unhindered and not checked. I explained that could mean her never getting a job or a house and her reply was that she didn't mind because she could live with us !!!!! Her views are driven by false news on social media. She doesn't have the life knowledge to be able to vote intelligently.

Social media might be becoming the new way people get their info from with a few tangents creeping in as is the way. Better that than the Sun, the Mail and the torygrapgh telling the uninformed the way. At least we get to see a cat opening a door alongside a nurses plea instead of vile attacks on certain groups. Mind you I'm sure once the kids get the hang of it they'll manage some filthy insults against May.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One should be allowed to vote in either elections or on reality television. Not both.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
They interviewed a girl yesterday who said she doesn't read the newspapers but made her decision based on what she read on social media. She probably voted for the candidate who posted the most you tube clips of a panda falling over.

Ha ha, newspapers provide such balanced views don't they. Through social media you can interact with a plethora of people with varying ideas, rather than be subjected to the vitriolic tripe that is emblazoned on our nation's newspapers.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Its not a wind up, I have seen so many Uni kids change their mind because they thought we needed change, like i said do they even remember the last labour government and the financial mess that has taken years to clear up???

A lot of kids are paranoid because of drugs they have been smoking, voting is a responsible thing, perhaps we could drink and drug test before entering the polling station................................................now there's my joke!!...................Hmmmmmmmmmmm ???

So the issue is that they didn't vote Tory.

I know a few university students and they are a lot smarter than you think they are. I also know a lot of people who vomit tabloid headlines.

You can have a good debate with students. Not so easy with tabloid slaves.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Let's ban thick people voting too as they don't have enough mental capacity to understand the issues.

Sounds harsh........ But fair

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why oh why is it necessary to be such a ****?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

And which kind of life experiences do you feel qualifies you to vote? Have you gained those experiences at the age of 21? Or 40? If you're born into a wealthy family does that qualify you more than if you suffer in poverty or less? Or parental neglect? Are you better qualified if you've lost your job? Or run a corner shop? Or an only child? Or have a degree? Or be employed by a large corporation? Or run a large corporation? Or employed as a social worker? Or road sweeper? Or never had a job? Or too ill to work? Or very intelligent? Or have a parent in prison? What about if you've never had any of those experiences?

And what about those people who voted for the LibDems? How many of them remember when the Liberals were last in power. Or what about the Greens? Or ukip? If you can't remember when they were in power but you voted for them, should you have been allowed? Or should you only be able to vote for a party if you can remember when they were last in power?

You've fallen into the trap of judging hundreds of thousands of young people by your own experience. I understand that our 2-horse-race political system and associated media sideshows encourages simplistic, polarised binary responses but c'mon, think a bit fella. Hundreds of thousands of young people aren't necessarily that gullible.

Playing your game, how about looking on the other side of your coin. Old people who don't have long to live were gullible and voted the way they did because someone promised them the earth and now they've saddled our future with the fruits of their naivety.

This comes across exactly as an attack at the youth as your reaction to the result of the vote.

You've fallen into the trap of assuming that age provides enlightenment. Individuals are primarily motivated by basic physiological needs (breathe, eat, excrete, sleep, sex) and security needs( body, employment, family, health, property). Some people, whatever their life experiences, make choices based solely on those motivations. Others are have a more sophisticated psychology, developing relationship and acquiring self esteem, respecting and caring for others, lacking prejudice and having refined sense of morality. Those more refined attributes ameliorate an individual's base desires and provide a more altruistic outlook on life. The extent of one's self awareness is not a gift of age, it is a product of aeons of human development. Many have it in their teens, many never achieve it.

From your perspective.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It should be lowered to 16 - at 16 you can pay tax and join the armed forces, but you can't vote.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Many years ago I was doing the exit poll for a well known party.I heard two young girls who were just about old enough to vote say to each other " I voted for xxxxxx because he was dishy. Say no more.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
With the amount of students spitting the dummy out about old people that shouldn't be able to vote after brexit they should pipe down learn some respect, they got **** all life skills. wet behind the ears snowflakes.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
With the amount of students spitting the dummy out about old people that shouldn't be able to vote after brexit they should pipe down learn some respect, they got **** all life skills. wet behind the ears snowflakes.
So it was wrong for some students to spit the dummy out about old people voting fot something they didn't like, but its fine for some old people to do the same about students voting for something they didn't like?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
So it was wrong for some students to spit the dummy out about old people voting fot something they didn't like, but its fine for some old people to do the same about students voting for something they didn't like?

Yes.

larus

Great plan! Change the boundaries to aid the Tories in the next general election (confirmed already), ban young people from voting until you have a chance to fill their heads with greed and selfishness and knock all ideology out of them, then see what's left to stifle.

Not a bad plan. Could just work you know. I hear Theresa is looking for a new manifesto writer and campaign team. Worth applying?

The plan to change the boundaries is to make the average seat size more even in terms of number of voters per MP. At present this is biased towards the Labour Party. I assume you are an advocate of fairness in a system, so why oppose?

Next, the reality is a lot of people will vote in their own interest. Students voted to get student fees abolished - wow, what a surprise. Pensioners vote to protect their pensions and freebies - wow, who'd have thought that? And lots of others get attracted by the thought of taxing someone else to provide better public services.

The Labour campaign was very well targeted and the Tories were crap - really crap. Yet, even accepting that, the Tories still won by nearly 60 seats. I would not be surprised to see a change in Tory plans before the next election to attract more young voters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here